Menu

How do I stop automated (pre-recorded) calls?

We've been getting call after call from Consumers Unlimited :confused: -- we get about 10 calls a night, for the past several days. When/if we pick up, it's always a computer message.

How do we make this stop? We are registered on the National No-Call List, but I've heard there is something else to do for these computer-generated, pre-recorded calls. :bigear:

609-452-0010 at 4:28 pm Consumers Unlimited

973-877-0909 at 4:12 pm Consumers Unlimited

973-877-0909 at 3:22 pm Consumers Unlimited

888-444-8619 at 3:16 pm Unavailable

And it just goes on like that all afternoon/evening....

Edited by Sahamamama

There are state and national do not call lists. A company can call you even if you are on the do not call list if you are a "customer" or have requested information (could be in any form - like entering a little sweepstakes etc).

Also you can request the company take you off their calling list, which is difficult with prerecorded messages, but often at the end there is an opportunity to talk to a person. If you ask to be taken off the list and they continue to call you. Then you can submit a complaint to (I believe) the Secretary of State of your State. They can fine companies that continue to call after being asked not to call.

I used to work at a company where you could put in a phone number with area code and it would tell you if that number is on the national, state or the company's do not call list. I looked up all my friends and family to let them know which they were on, because sometime mistakes are made on those lists.

So I would resubmit your phone number to the national and your state's do not call list and try to get the company to put you on their do not call list.

Good luck.

There are state and national do not call lists. A company can call you even if you are on the do not call list if you are a "customer" or have requested information (could be in any form - like entering a little sweepstakes etc).

Also you can request the company take you off their calling list, which is difficult with prerecorded messages, but often at the end there is an opportunity to talk to a person. If you ask to be taken off the list and they continue to call you. Then you can submit a complaint to (I believe) the Secretary of State of your State. They can fine companies that continue to call after being asked not to call.

I used to work at a company where you could put in a phone number with area code and it would tell you if that number is on the national, state or the company's do not call list. I looked up all my friends and family to let them know which they were on, because sometime mistakes are made on those lists.

So I would resubmit your phone number to the national and your state's do not call list and try to get the company to put you on their do not call list.

Good luck.

The pre-recorded message says, "This is Company X, calling in regard to your request for auto insurance information.... blah, blah, blah...."

Which is a total LIE, because neither my husband nor I has requested auto insurance information. We have the absolute best insurance company & rate in the state, and when anyone tells us they can get a better quote, they say, "What company do you have?" We tell them and then they say, "Oh, well... um, are you looking for any other insurance?" :lol:

Thanks for the information, I'm going to do that first thing in the morning. I don't want to get my blood pressure up before bedtime. :D

We've been getting call after call from Consumers Unlimited :confused: -- we get about 10 calls a night, for the past several days. When/if we pick up, it's always a computer message.

How do we make this stop? We are registered on the National No-Call List, but I've heard there is something else to do for these computer-generated, pre-recorded calls. :bigear:

609-452-0010 at 4:28 pm Consumers Unlimited

973-877-0909 at 4:12 pm Consumers Unlimited

973-877-0909 at 3:22 pm Consumers Unlimited

888-444-8619 at 3:16 pm Unavailable

And it just goes on like that all afternoon/evening....

If you have a fax machine, you can route the landline through it for awhile. That will make them give up, as they will think it is a fax. I've often done this to get rid of annoying calls.

You can report calls like that. I've been getting a string of them recently from "Credit Card Services", claiming to be from my credit card company. "Nothing is wrong with your account at the moment, but we want you to take advantage of this short time period to lower your interest rates." Uh huh. So give you my credit card number so you can then steal my identity? No, thanks. :glare:

"Push 1 at the end of this call for further information." I did. Finally got a human on the phone. I said, "Can you please put me on your do not call list?"

Her response, "Can you please stop answering your Gd*amn phone and quit bothering me with sh*t like this?" :blink: :blink: Then she hung up.

I reported "Janice", the number she called from, and her nasty little message as fast as I could. Never heard from them again. :lol:

Go to www.donotcall.gov and there is a place for that. Pre-recorded solicitations are illegal, even if you have not had your number put on the list.