Menu

Anyone with experience in Bruxism-jaw clenching

I am on a medication that is causing me to clench my jaw. I don't grind my teeth, just clench my jaw shut. I keep finding myself doing it unconsciously. It makes it hard to sleep at night and makes me uncomfortable during the day. I do it constantly unless I am actively reminding myself to not do it! I am on week 2 of the med, so I don't think it is going to get better, if anything I think I am getting more used to it, and doing it more.

I really need to stay on this med for a month or two, so I need to figure out a way to stop or at least get better and not doing it. Any suggestions?

If possible, get a night guard to protect your teeth. They can be expensive, but save you $$$ in dental bills if you happen to break a tooth, like I have been prone to do. :glare: It wouldn't hurt to at the very least call your dentist and talk with them. I clenched my teeth at night for years (anxiety) and it caused awful dental/jaw problems.

If possible, get a night guard to protect your teeth. They can be expensive, but save you $$$ in dental bills if you happen to break a tooth, like I have been prone to do. :glare: It wouldn't hurt to at the very least call your dentist and talk with them. I clenched my teeth at night for years (anxiety) and it caused awful dental/jaw problems.

:iagree:

I did some jaw clenching/teeth grinding in college and had TMJ flareups. Major pain. I had to wear a nightguard and that helped with the TMJ. There are also some exercises/activities you can do that will help.

The biggest is being aware that you are doing it. When I notice myself clenching my jaw, I drop it a couple of times to go to an "at rest" position rather than tense. I imagine your dentist would have more suggestions.

Not fun.

:iagree: I just had my third root canal (and 3rd crown) since October because of bruxism. I'm scheduled to have impressions taken for a night guard at my dentists office next week. :D

Save your self the time and the expense. Trust me, the cost of a night guard will more than pay for itself if it prevents cracked teeth.

Just my 2 cents worth.

When I've restarted my Celexa, every time I've had that for the first couple weeks. It's annoying. I still find myself doing it occasionally, but not nearly as much. It did mostly go away, though.

Chewing gum helps. It's hard to clench your teeth if you're chewing gum. Hard candies weren't as successful, because everything was so tense I'd almost push it into my throat. Which is bad.

I finally gave in, and forced myself to clench, but not grind. Also, I'll sometimes stick the side of my tongue between my molars. You can press harder without causing as much pain that way.

I have this problem also. In fact my daytime clenching and grinding has rid me of much of my tooth enamel.

I saw a new dentist last week. He suggested putting your hand under your chin, applying a bit of pressure, and slowly opening your mouth against this pressure. Do it six times. Three or four times a day.

Apparently you can help release tension by balancing the jaw closing muscles with the jaw opening muscles. I'm trying it but it is too soon to tell whether it will help.

Also, get the night guard.

Sandra