Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LisaNY

Can someone explain "Reputation" points, please?

Hi everyone,

A few kind people here have given me points for my posts, with comments. I didn't know they did until I noticed them in my userpanel. First, I thought they commented me in the actual threads, but apparently, these comments are only readable in my userpanel. I'd like to respond to them. Is there a way to do that besides via pm?

Thanks!:)

I don't understand it all very well, but there has been some threads on the general board with some explanation. Try a search for "reputation" and it should bring up the threads and hopefully you can find your answer.

I've had SEVERAL people give me negative reputation points when I answered a post that asked if anyone had children who attended public school.

I answered truthfully!

I have 2 children in PS and one who is homeschooled.

I guess I'm less of a person in their eyes so they feel like they have to add a negative point to my 'reputation'.

I really don't like this 'reputation' thing. There is so much potential for misuse!

I think reputation should be on 'believability' not on if you have the same viewpoint...and I think it is better left for the sale/swap boards.:(

How can you tell if they are negative or positive. I just today noticed that I have 11 points but that is all it says.

Where can I see these reputation points? I have been searching and can't find anything.

Click on your control panel and it's on that settings page, on the right.

Regena

I still don't see it. Maybe it's not there if you don't have any comments.

Try now, you should see a (positive) comment from me.

There it is. I feel much better. I was starting to feel really dumb! Thanks for clearing that up.

I've had SEVERAL people give me negative reputation points when I answered a post that asked if anyone had children who attended public school.

I answered truthfully!

I guess I'm less of a person in their eyes so they feel like they have to add a negative point to my 'reputation'.

I really don't like this 'reputation' thing. There is so much potential for misuse!

I think reputation should be on 'believability' not on if you have the same viewpoint...and I think it is better left for the sale/swap boards.:(

Oh my goodness, Jann! That's just awful. :( I, for one, always appreciate your posts. You are always so helpful. I have one child in ps, too. It wasn't my plan to do so, but G-d had something else in mind. :)

(((Jann)))

I answered truthfully!

Ha! Upon closer look at my rep points, I think I got a negative. I have to assume that it is because the point icon is dark and not bright green. They also added to it by saying "Bravo!!". Do you think they were being sarcastic???? :rolleyes: LOL

I didn't realize until you pointed out, Jann, that people could give *negative* reputation points. Bleh. I'd much rather have a person pm me or better yet, let me know publicly if they disagree with me, or don't like what I've said.

There was some discussion about this recently on the "How to" board - I added to some one's rep points in a positive way, but the points appeared in grey and not in green . We surmised that it is bc I am a "worker bee" but points from someone with a "higher status" in the "hive" would be green.

HTH a bit : )

This is nuts.

Can we just agree NOT to use "reputation" pints unless it's on the sale and swap board, perhaps? As they are totally private there just too much potential for abuse, as we've already seen.

--and colour coded by rank? What kind of totalitarian regime is this?:eek:

Good grief.

--and colour coded by rank? What kind of totalitarian regime is this?:eek:

Good grief.

It isn't quite as bad as that. A person with only a few posts (10 or less I believe), cannot give red or green points. I suppose that might be a good thing to keep trolls from registering under various aliases and zinging their prey with tons of red points.

But I'll add another vote for disabling the entire system.

I have to correct my post. Actually, I was *not* given a neg. rep point. It was dark because the person that pos. repped me did not have enough rep power at this point in time to make it count as an actual point. You need a certain # of points yourself to give you "rep power".

So, I am sorry, "Bravo"! :o

I don't think the greys are negative, because I have some that were green when they were first given to me and added to my total points. Later they became grey. I'm assuming that this was when the people giving them received negative points and so the dots beside their names turned grey? It seems that their rep points turned grey at that point, too, but it did not then subtract points from my total. My total stayed the same.....

I think the negative ones are red.

Regena