Menu

My kids love I Speak Latin!

happycc

My kids are 9yrs old. We tried Latin for Children A last semester but it seemed to go too fast for them and it was no fun. It was also too much writing for them-the worksheets and they found the speaker on the video terribly boring. The chants all started to sound the same to them too and they were not retaining anything.They liked the little puppet shows but that was about it. It made them very unmotivated to learn Latin. So now we are using I speak Latin and then Getting Started with Latin and then we will use Latin for Children.

I Speak Latin is a fun way to learn Latin or any language for that matter. TPR is great.

They are enjoying the games too. Like Simon Says. It is much more interactive and my kids seem to need the interaction. Anyway to make Latin For Children more interactive ie using the body more. Not crossword puzzles etc.

is with I SPEAK LATIN which uses TPR (total physical response). It is all laid out for you.

You just follow the chart and tells you what to say (how to say it), what to expect and what your kids should say back/or could say back.

They think it is the funniest thing in the world. I think almost the whole book is TPR exercises for about each lesson. There review days and it looks basically play games with them -the book suggests the fun games. At the end of the TPR -you may write down a few of the phrases used (as told to you by the book) and the kids make flashcards writing the latin word down and then they draw stick figures to go with the latin word (the book tells you exactly what to draw). They can play memory with the cards.

They can play something like pictionary.

They do go over parts of speech and declension and other stuff but it is done similarly how Simply Music teaches people how to play music. It is in context and similarly how The Well Trained Mind or I should say Writing With Ease teaches grammar through copywork (all in context).

I just got it from lulu after reading about it on this thread. It looks like such fun, we are going to try it this afternoon. I was nervous about the fact that I have to speak the words but I went through the entire book and practiced and it really isn't too difficult. Hope the kids enjoy it as much as I do:)

I don't have any other TPR, what are some others? What is Simply Music?

I just got it from lulu after reading about it on this thread. It looks like such fun, we are going to try it this afternoon. I was nervous about the fact that I have to speak the words but I went through the entire book and practiced and it really isn't too difficult. Hope the kids enjoy it as much as I do:)

I don't have any other TPR, what are some others? What is Simply Music?

Ditto. Except I am waiting for a special hat (for myself) before we start using it.

:D

is a piano playing program. It is a new way of teaching piano than the traditional way and it so so rocks! My daughter is doing great on it.

You can get it discounted from Homeschool Buyers Coop.

So far how is everyone liking I SPEAK LATIN so far!

Love it here. My kids are picking it up so fast. I still need to read the darn thing to remember how to pronounce it. Kids are so quick when it is made so fun.