Menu

Someone tell me why Saxon does not have a separate Trig book?

MyLittleBears

Call me crazy for planning ahead but I like knowing what road I'm taking, even if it's a few year off.

I know Saxon is supposed to be strong mathmatically and it's supposed to be interwoven in the advanced mathmatics course, but it seems to me that you need a full year of trig before effectively doing calculus. Am I missing something?

Edited by MyLittleBears

I never took a full year of trig before Calculus, just an integrated program. Sd did Advanced Math and then Saxon Calculus and had no problems.

Did he score well on standardized test? I'm just curious because it does not seem to me a "typical" format. It also makes me nervous not to have a separate geometry course. Not sure if I like the idea of things being interwoven because of the possiblity of leaving things out. Hope I make sense. :tongue_smilie:

This S&S document lists the Trigonometry topics that are present in Geometry and Algebra 2.

This S&S document lists the Trigonometry topics that are present in Advanced Math and Calculus.

Thanks. I will have to sit now piece together to see if it makes a full trig course. And while I'm at it, a full geometry? :tongue_smilie:

High school trig is not a full year course -- there isn't that much material to cover. It is always combined with other pre-calculus topics. What the textbook writers and schools choose to call the course varies from one place to another, but I'd be willing to bet that those who had a full year course called just plain "Trig" covered about the same material as those who had a course called "Analytic Geometry and Trig" or "Precalculus with Trig" or whatever.

High school trig is not a full year course -- there isn't that much material to cover. It is always combined with other pre-calculus topics. What the textbook writers and schools choose to call the course varies from one place to another, but I'd be willing to bet that those who had a full year course called just plain "Trig" covered about the same material as those who had a course called "Analytic Geometry and Trig" or "Precalculus with Trig" or whatever.

I had a full year of Trig in HS or so I thought?

Did he score well on standardized test? I'm just curious because it does not seem to me a "typical" format. It also makes me nervous not to have a separate geometry course. Not sure if I like the idea of things being interwoven because of the possiblity of leaving things out. Hope I make sense. :tongue_smilie:

It depends on where you are. With an integrated program which Saxon is then it is the typical course format. Sd did very well on the math sections of her standardized tests and SAT. I did just fine with Calculus and was even started college as a Math major (till I switched to a Math minor and eventually received certification to teach high school Math). Things do not get left out of the program. I can say having been through both Advanced Math and Calculus, Saxon does a very good job of covering the material. My nephew did Saxon too and he excelled in College (now going for his PHD in Chemistry).

It is not very common now to have a full-year course called 'trigonometry'. Trigonometry is usually a major part of precalculus and often introduced in geometry as well.

One of the major points of Saxon was to integrate the algebra and geometry rather than dividing them into algebra, geometry, algebra 2, trigonometry.

Thanks. I will have to sit now piece together to see if it makes a full trig course. And while I'm at it, a full geometry? :tongue_smilie:

Completion of Algebra 1 and 2 and the first 50 or so lessons of Advanced Math equal a complete year of geometry.

Saxon used to. My high school used Saxon, and after Alg2, we took GTA (geometry, trigonometry, and algebra 3). I tried searching it, but can't find it. Maybe their Advanced Mathematics is it? The cover is the same color. I guess even then, it wasn't a straight trig course.

Call me crazy for planning ahead but I like knowing what road I'm taking, even if it's a few year off.

I know Saxon is supposed to be strong mathmatically and it's supposed to be interwoven in the advanced mathmatics course, but it seems to me that you need a full year of trig before effectively doing calculus. Am I missing something?

I had a full year of Trig in HS or so I thought?

How old are you? :D

When I was searching for early 1960s-era Dolciani math books, I came across Modern Trigonometry from that era. I didn't know this book was included in the series, because the Algebra II book includes trig. So, for $2 I scooped it up, went home, and pm'ed my Dolciani guru here - Jane in NC. I can't remember now exactly what she told me, (so, pm her! :D) but it was something along the lines of that this book was a more thorough treatment of trig than the trig that was included in Dolciani's Algebra II book. I guess the trig in the Alg. II was sufficient to get to the Modern Intro. Analysis book, but a study of the Modern Trig book would prepare students even better for the Analysis book. I'm sure I'm mangling her message to me, but the bottom line for me was that I decided to include this Modern Trig book in our lineup, after Algebra II and before Analysis (which she tells me is basically a pre-cal course).

And I don't think you are crazy for looking ahead. I've always done it, and I feel a little more knowledgeable about what to look for because of it.

And if you want to know more about the early 1960s-era Dolciani math books, just search on the "Dolciani" tag here. You'll find a wealth of great info. And Jane has been so helpful to me with my multitudes of questions about math.

Edited by Colleen in NS

How old are you? :D

When I was searching for early 1960s-era Dolciani math books, I came across Modern Trigonometry from that era. I didn't know this book was included in the series, because the Algebra II book includes trig. So, for $2 I scooped it up, went home, and pm'ed my Dolciani guru here - Jane in NC. I can't remember now exactly what she told me, (so, pm her! :D) but it was something along the lines of that this book was a more thorough treatment of trig than the trig that was included in Dolciani's Algebra II book. I guess the trig in the Alg. II was sufficient to get to the Modern Intro. Analysis book, but a study of the Modern Trig book would prepare students even better for the Analysis book. I'm sure I'm mangling her message to me, but the bottom line for me was that I decided to include this Modern Trig book in our lineup, after Algebra II and before Analysis (which she tells me is basically a pre-cal course).

And I don't think you are crazy for looking ahead. I've always done it, and I feel a little more knowledgeable about what to look for because of it.

And if you want to know more about the early 1960s-era Dolciani math books, just search on the "Dolciani" tag here. You'll find a wealth of great info. And Jane has been so helpful to me with my multitudes of questions about math.

Well, I graduated in from HS in 1994. So, not old enough for the 1960s :D

Yes, this is exactly what I assumed....things being cut out of a program and info left in on a need to know basis. Sometimes I wonder if it is just because they are teaching to a test, but I hope I'm wrong. It's very frustrating. I am going to google Dolciani Modern Trig. Thanks!

Edited by MyLittleBears

Well, I graduated in from HS in 1994. So, not old enough for the 1960s :D

Yes, this is exactly what I assumed....things being cut out of a program and info left in on a need to know basis. Sometimes I wonder if it is just because they are teaching to a test, but I hope I'm wrong. It's very frustrating. I am going to google Dolciani Modern Trig. Thanks!

:D You're younger than I am, and there was no trig course in my high school. So, I guess schools still had trig courses even after my time - just not my school.

Have a look at the Dolciani thread tags here on the forums first before you google. Also, you might want to post, what I bolded above, on the high school board. Those Moms use all sorts of math programs for their high schoolers and could probably help you out, too.

:D You're younger than I am, and there was no trig course in my high school. So, I guess schools still had trig courses even after my time - just not my school.

Have a look at the Dolciani thread tags here on the forums first before you google. Also, you might want to post, what I bolded above, on the high school board. Those Moms use all sorts of math programs for their high schoolers and could probably help you out, too.

Thanks! :001_smile: