Menu

Can't sleep with thoughts of curriculum dancing...

Aloha2U

...in my head, LOL! :lol: & :confused: (I'm not sure which of these smilies to use, so I choose both.)

I have so many questions and not sure which to ask or sometimes how to word them without confusing everyone else. I start to research one curriculum or subject which leads to another, all the while having spurts of... Oh--I like this, but maybe this is better, or maybe both. I can't help but to research and plan...

"Hello, my name is Melissa and I am a planner."

I just want to be well prepared for both me and my ds... to know and understand all the resources which are available to us and ultimately decide what will help us reach our goals for homeschooling. Is that too much to ask all in one night?! Brain, don't fail me now. Or as Pooh might say...

Think! Think! Think!

I'm sorry for running on at the keyboard. I have a few questions to ask, but I guess I needed a little venting first. :tongue_smilie:

I know that using the Christian, Classical method is the way for us. My questions lie in the details, details, details. Which I know will answer themselves in prayer and in time. At this time, however, I would be much obliged and hope it isn't to much to ask, if anyone using the Christian, Classical Method would share their favorite curriculum choices and when you implemented them in the grammar/logic stages. Also, in addition to TWTM, is there any book(s) in particular you have used and recommend for a Christian, Classical method guideline?

This forum has been a huge blessing to me and I am so thankful for the knowledge that I've gleaned from it thus far. Thank you for reading my ramblings and I hope you all have a good night, I mean day, I mean... oh Good Night! :sleep:

Sincerely, Melissa

Hi Melissa! I'm Linda, and I'm a 'planner', too!

When we first started, I had it all laid out, K-12 - knew 'everything' we were going to use - so naturally, our curriculum looks completely different now!

Really, it's a lot of trial and error - some things you think will be a perfect fit, and it turns out they are not - others, you don't look twice at, and find later on that they 'are' the perfect fit! :tongue_smilie:

I guess that's not much help!

Well, after a few years now of trialing different curriculums (and we've tried a LOT), I guess my favourites would be:

IEW - TWISS set

God's Design Science (Magic School Bus DVDs for grades 1-3, still, though!)

Apologia Science for Highshool

Story of the World

Famous Men of.... series from Memoria Press

Prima Latina / Latina Christiana

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization (IEW)

The Phonetic Zoo (IEW)

Galloping the Globe

Signpost Maths (Australian Series), Followed by Teaching Textbooks

Phonics is Fun Workbooks

There's no doubt more - they are the ones I can think of right now.

Are you even more confused? I know it can be mind-numbing, but the planning is fun, too!

Resources for this method besides TWTM:

Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorns

The Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell

What we use/have used:

Rod and Staff materials

Tapestery of Grace

Sonlight

Spell to Write and Read (language arts)

Not necessarily "Chrisitan" but good curriculum:

Singapore Math

Story of the World

We keep things simple here. I focus on the 3 r's:

Mathematics

Language Arts (phonics before spelling, grammar, and Latin)

Writing (penmanship then composition)

Currently instead of me planning things, I am having the children pick topics from a list I prepared and we are doing 1 to 2 week "research" units where they have to do some writing and they learn about a concept. We lapbook, notebook or make a poster to show what they have learned.:001_smile:

My intro line is usually "Hi my name is Lynn and I'm a book-a-holic"

I am Christian and consider myself influenced by classical methods (but not strictly classical). You might enjoy reading the Bluedorn's book Teaching the Trivium.

I will say that when my oldest was starting I sometimes chose curriculum based on the fact that I agreed with it's worldview, but later abandoned it because it was dry, or not grade level appropriate, or just didn't work for us for whatever reason - or sometimes I misjudged it's worldview - or maybe it oversimplified God's role in things to the point I was not comfortable with their portrayal.

I came to a point that I felt we were missing something. I had all the "boxes" filled in with something I thought would be great, but we weren't as engaged as when we were just reading great stories together... A friend referred me to Amblesideonline (a Charlotte Mason curriculum online - the scope and sequence is free - you just buy books you need, etc.). And it has been our guide ever since. I don't consider myself particularly CM either, but I love AOs recommendations.

Language arts has taken me quite awhile to "figure out." History - we love great read alouds and we add in Diana Waring's Cds (What in the World's Going on Here - there are 3 volumes) to emphasize a Christian view point. (My oldest ds loves these - some folks say they're younger children don't get much out of them). We've used lectures, books, movies from Answers In Genesis to help with Creation viewpoint in science. BTW, I have yet to find a science curriculum that I really love. I'm beginning to believe that good books are the answer here as well, along with nature study, and teaching Creation.

Math? well that's a whole nother subject, isn't it?

One way you might look at curriculum goals and subjects is to consider three areas: 1) character 2) skills 3) knowledge. I didn't come up with these three on my own - I heard them in a conference where Andrew Pudewa spoke. But separating things into these three categories was somewhat helpful to me.

Well, I haven't solved any problems for you, but my little ones are tugging on me... You may not always make curriculum choices that work for you - but you'll know it a month or so into it and change it. You will learn more than you ever thought!

"Hi! I'm Jeannine. I'm a planner." Phew. I feel so much better.

I am absolutely obsessed with spelling lately. I read about spelling programs morning, noon and night. I go to bed thinking about spelling. I was absolutely convinced to get SS then I heard about AAS. Hey, wait that Megawords sounds good. AAAAHHHHH!!!!! Did I mention I already have SWO for next year. I think I need help!

Every year I lay out our "plan" for the rest of their school journey, and it usually changes each year! Another vote for Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorns. I love their philosphy for the young ones, and wish I would have started my dc out that way. I look back now and see how they would have flourished. We try very hard to follow a Classical Christian philosophy of education. But I think you will see many forms of that, and you have to figure out what works for your family.

I love, love, love First Language Lessons. We have used 1/2, 3, and will start 4 as soon as it comes out. At first is seems you are not doing enough, and the repetition gets monotonous, but the results are so worth it! We use Abeka phonics, for no particular reason other than it worked for my first child, so why change? I may get brave and try Ordinary Parents when my 1 year old gets ready. I don't think anything beats science as laid out in the WTM for the first years (I'm going by the old edition). Those were precious times for us. I also enjoyed Sonlight for K. We love Story of the World. This year we are using Tapestry of Grace, and I am very excited. I would really encourage you to spend a year or two studying world geography before you start the hisory cycle.

We used Galloping the Globe (with lots of modifications to make it work for us). Winter Promise also looks good. Or just download some free maps and coloring pages and hit the library. We made passports, and everytime we started a new country, we would line up the chairs and get on the "airplane". I would say hello to them in the language (if I could pronounce it!), ask them if they were here for business or pleasure, and "stamp" their passport with a flag sticker and write the date on it. We listened to the national anthem for that country using my Microsoft Encarta cdrom-this is a great resource, and came free with my computer. It was so much fun, I can't wait to do it again!

Math U See and Calculadders are our favorites for math.

As the children get older, I recommend Junior Analytical Grammar and Analytical Grammar. I could go on and on.... you can see a lot of this with links on my blog, linked below in my signature. Please feel free to ask more questions! Latin, well, we are still working on it. We tried Latin for Children this year, and my 12 ds did fine, but it was too much for my 9dd. She really got lost with the advanced grammar and translating. I'll be using Lively Latin with my oldest this year, and 9dd will be using Vocabulary from Classical Roots grade 5 instead of a formal Latin program. We have used maze books, Perplexors, Logic Countdown series, etc. for logic. The mazes and such can be started early, and the DEL books Sonlight sells. My two oldest did Perplexors last year and loved it. I'll add Fallacy Detective for my 12 ds this year.

Oh yes, if there is a Master's Academy of Fine Arts in your area, I would really encourage you to look into it. That link is also on my blog.

I think the main elements you want to add, especially for your young children, are copywork, dictation when they are ready, and memory work. You will be amazed at what all they can memorize! And instilling first time obedience, good hygeine habits, chores, service to others, and regular Bible study and prayer. Go on lots of field trips, because soon they will be so heavy into the academics you hate to take the time out for it. Let them find an interest and run with it--do they love art? want to learn an instrument? a natural drama queen? a soccer, swim, golf, basketball star? I think about the education my kids are getting, and so wish I had been able to do the things they do. Not that I am a great teacher, but I am providing opportunities for them to explore this great big world.

hth

"Hi, my name is Sue and I am a recovering curriculum junkie and a planner, too!". There is simply too much to choose from and sometimes I just get "information constipation". Too much information/too many choices. I can empathize w/ you. I try to tell myself not to be enslaved by curriculum, that it is just a tool. But I still want the "best". I'm still in a quandry about math. I "think" I've figured out grammar and spelling. Maybe. I'm sorry I can't give you some magical advice. I won't throw in any more curriculum choices b/c I find that it just sends me off to discover yet another "great" book or program that I simple "must" use somehow. KWIM? You've been given some great suggestions already! Good luck w/ your planning and remember to seek God first...(Making a note to take my own advice!).

Well, here is another vote for Teaching the Trivium. You can see brief excerpts from the book to get a general idea if you will like it at http://www.triviumpursuit.com - sorry I don't know how to make pretty links! ;)

For the early knowledge years ala Teaching the Trivium (they break it into Knowledge, wisdom and understanding as outlined in the Bible) -before age 10 we use Five in a row. Then we use a Mystery of History and SOTW combo and Apologia elementary - of course the little ones are listening in as their older brother is doing this. There is a new math curriculum that fits perfect with this philosophy it is called Math on the Level and you can find it here: http://www.mathonthelevel.com - although we have been using Singapore as this just came out. Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

My dh says I live for research, and that I research more than I teach!! That can be such a problem! So many things sound good, better than what you're doing, etc.. But one thing I've noticed on these forums, is that a lot of people are saying that simple is better. That's hard for a planner/curriculum junkie like me. Especially since I want freedom to deviate, yet I want everything all scheduled out for me! Is there "The Perfect Curriculum"? That will give the kids great literature-with a love for reading, make it fun, expand their creativity, let us deviate but keep us structured, be easy for me to understand, help them to learn the bible, love God AND be affordable? THAT's the one I want!!!!