Menu

Had to share: a handwriting breakthrough--finally!!

She Reads a Lot

I'm pretty new here, and I don't post a lot b/c I'm not exactly a font of wisdom, having just started hs'ing a year ago :D. But I wanted to share a little happy: after 18 months of diligent work with my ds on his handwriting, he is finally writing words and letters I can read--and he is putting spaces between his words!!! Whoo-hoo!

He is nearly 8 (so I know this is late compared to his brother and many others), but until this week, his writing was so wobbly and shaky and hard to read. We had tried everything. I got his grip fixed long ago, but it was such a struggle for him to write (as in, tongue stuck out in serious concentration whenever he held a pencil and so slow).

Well whatever you chalk it up to, somehow all of a sudden, his writing looks like the WWE and HWOT samples and I am overjoyed! I was so impressed by his journal writing today that I got out his first writing from this school year and showed it to him. He said, "Wow, Mom. I can't read that at all!" (It had random capitals, all letters pretty much the same size, very few spaces between words). So he can really see the difference, too, which I'd wager is at least half the battle.

Just wanted to share in case anyone is feeling discouraged about their kiddos' handwriting. There is hope!

Thanks for the positive comments, ladies! I had to share b/c I knew other HS moms would get it. My hubby *sort of* understands, but he's not the one who sat there day after day after day for forever (!) feeling like it was just. so. hard. and like we weren't making any progress at all!

Yay! A breakthrough is a wonderful thing!

Your post made me smile :001_smile: I have a DS who is 8, his writing is atrocious. Actually, all three of my kids have pretty awful handwriting. The oldest's has improved in terms of spacing and size. He does still randomly capitalize letters. He says it is because he doesn't like the way some of his letters look (all his b's are B's and all his R's are r's.) My daughter CAN have really good handwriting, but it takes some concentration on her part. The youngest, though...... it is a daily struggle. We are working on it, though, a little at a time. I'm working on correcting his grip, now. For whatever reason, they allowed him to use a pincer-type grip in PS :glare: He also does the "nospacebetweenwords", all of my kids did. In fact, DS 12 has only overcome this in the last couple of years. Hopefully, one day I'll be making a "breakthrough" post of my own about my son!