Menu

Do you use the Student Journal for Queen's A Living History of our World?

wehave8

Do you use any or all of the Journal? Are there many maps and/or activities or is it mostly blank pages to write and draw on?

Our boys write all they can handle in other subjects so I wouldn't want to get the Journal if it was all writing (I know...that is what a journal is!). It looks like there are other things in it though, and I wondered if it is worth purchasing for a 'limited' writer.

And... are you still in love with the program, or has the excitement worn off?

I have not used this, but I have heard several times that the journal really completes the program and you are missing out on a lot without it. Sorry I'm not much help, hopefully someone who has actually used it will chime in. :)

Edited by MamaHappy
Darn typos

I haven't used it either, but I got the impression after looking at samples & the TOC for the student journals for volumes I & II that one of them was almost all narration/copywork stuff, and one had a fair amount of other stuff in it. I honestly don't remember which was which though. If you don't get any useful responses, you could take a look at the samples on her website and on Queen's website (they have different samples) and that might give you a better idea. You could also try posting your question on the yahoo group.

We are using this program along with Sonlight Core 3/4. There is writing or drawing on most pages. It also includes things like word searches, copywork, maps, and little booklets that you glue in place. I do still like the program and doing it with Sonlight has complemented both programs. I think the Student Journal does help to complete the program. I'm not sure you would want to miss it. They do say write what you learned about _________ this week. So it can be as little or as much as your child can do, but there are also boxes to draw in, so if you just wanted them to draw that would probably be fine. My dd only usually writes one or two sentences. After each reading they do an oral narration and this is where I expect her to give me more facts so if she doesn't put as much in the student journal I don't worry too much. I'm sure she can look back at the journal and remember the stories. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

Pat in MI---

Do you feel the text is "talking down" to the student like I've read in some reviews? What is the age of dd or ds you are using it with?

Thanks

I'm not Pat, but I do have the first book. I don't think it talks down, but IMO this one is geared more toward kids on the younger end of the 5-12 YO age range (so maybe 5-9 or 10). They're supposed to get more advanced as they go along from what I've heard.

ETA: It does say stuff like, "Have you ever wondered...", "my friend" (addressed to the reader), and things like that. Maybe that's what people consider talking down?

Edited by caedmyn

It takes a conversational tone very much like CHOW. Yes, I agree with pp poster that this is more geared to the lower end of the spectrum and maybe this is why some people think the author is talking down to them, but it does handle delicate topics like slavery and the Salem Witch Trials. My dd is 10 and she really likes this curriculum. I am pleased with my choices in history this year. Sonlight and A Living History of Our World really compliment each other well. Lots of reading from Sonlight and the journal with A Living History of Our World. So if you have an older elementary child you definitely want to flesh this out with more reading.

Blessings,

Pat

We are using volume 1 and DS loves it. However, we are not using the journal. I did originally purchase it (and liked it myself) but my son hates to write. We do oral narration, hands-on crafts/activities, coloring pages and a timeline. We had timeline figures from HitW and use those, Google Images and DS sometimes draws some on his own. I incorporate our own Geography along with it as well. We have several outline maps sets.

I would like to point out that I tweak just about everything. :lol: But that's another thing that I love about the series, you can use it however you like.

I'm not Pat, but I do have the first book. I don't think it talks down, but IMO this one is geared more toward kids on the younger end of the 5-12 YO age range (so maybe 5-9 or 10). They're supposed to get more advanced as they go along from what I've heard.

:iagree:

A bit OT, but I read the first chapter of Vol. I to DD yesterday, and when I finished, she said, "Read another chapter!" We've tried both Story of the World and Elemental History, and she tolerated them but wasn't real interested and didn't retain much so we stopped after a bit (and this is a kid who loves books and loves to be read to). So I think it's a keeper for us!

A bit OT, but I read the first chapter of Vol. I to DD yesterday, and when I finished, she said, "Read another chapter!"

:001_smile: DS said something very similar after our first reading. "What, you're done? Can't you read more mom?!!"

I also forgot to point out that there are times when the author will have you refer to a map in the student journal while reading. Part of the reading in the lesson is actually talking about the map. I don't remember how many times this happens throughout the book. It's not a big deal for us because we have a couple of sets of historical black outline maps that we can refer to when something like this comes up.

I am one who used to say I didn't like the tone, but I actually love it now. It's a nice overview and I add to the topics that capture their interest.

The journals were just too much repetitive writing for my kids with 3 pages per lesson. I typically have them choose 1 page per topic just to help them get what they learned on paper.

Between cursive practice, WWE, FLL and AAS dictation sentences, they already write too much!

The Student Journal has map work, timeline projects, reviews, word searches, Bible copywork, etc., as well as notebooking. I like the book a lot; however, the journal is best for 3rd grade and up. There is quite a bit of writing involved.

Is there enough stuff in there that a 6 YO could do to make it worth getting? I was thinking that the reviews might be necessary to the program, and the timeline and maps... I probably wouldn't have her do any writing though.