Menu

FIAR- Favorites and Creative Ideas

4Kiddos

I am not a lap booker or worksheet maker. I find that the suggestions in the book are plenty.

There is one thing that we do enjoy doing that is not from the TM, however. I read about another mother doing this and I thought her idea was lovely.

I will often find things around that home that represent the book and create a display on the boys' dresser. We set the book in the middle and put "artifacts" all around it. They get so excited when I do it on a Sunday night after they fall asleep and it is waiting for them on Monday morning.

I like to read the archives on the Five in a Row forums for ideas. I don't always do exactly what they suggest but it is kind of like brainstorming. I read the manual also and then pick the activities that work best for us. We don't do any lapbooking or notebooking. With my oldest we typically did anything remotely science related, for my second one we are doing more art stuff. We also usually look at the map and the globe for many of the books and fairly consistently do something with food related to the book. :)

Some favorites...

-Dissecting an owl pellet with Owl Moon

-Harold and the Purple Crayon...oodles of art projects there, the Crayola website is a great place for ideas

-Doing experiments with oiled paper (for windows) with Warm as Wool

-Building igloos with Very Last First Time

-Tie-dying with A New Coat for Anna

-Trying different food with many of the books (mussels, Russian food, Japanese, Chinese, French)

-Making our own diner with Night of the Moonjellies

-Doing car paintings (using wheels of car to paint) and then car wash with Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car

-Planning and performing a circus with Another Celebrated Dancing Bear

-Watching ants outside and getting ant farm with Truman's Aunt Farm

-Making butter with Three Names

-Studying frogs with Salamander Room

-Many things with How to Make an Apple Pie: apple picking, making an apple pie, apple prints

-Many things with The Bee Tree: honey tasting, visiting a bee hive, talking about hexagons and shapes

-Making cork boats with Ferdinand