Menu

Is there a celebrity you aspire to look like, shapewise?

I had my first workout with my new personal trainer today. When we were discussing my goals, he asked me if there's a celebrity whose figure I admire, someone I want to look like. I couldn't think of one. Basically, I am 5'7" with a slim frame. I'm not interested in looking really "cut", just fit with some muscle definition, so I look (and feel!) healthy and active.

Is there a celebrity out there who you aspire to look like? Why?

Wendi

Hmmm... interesting question. I'm not sure I agree with how this was asked though because shouldn't you be asipiring to reach your own personal level of fitness, and if you aim for a celebrity's figure, couldn't that just lead to disappointment since you have your own individual body?

I guess I'm a little tainted right now because I've been reading Made to Crave by Lysa Terkherst (cc book), and she stresses how we have to find our own physical satisfaction with ourselves and not aspire to be anything more than who we were made to be all the while obtaining a healthy lifestyle. For years, I have compared, tried to reach, and failed to obtain a body that I think I should have, but my own muscles, fat cells, frame, and genetics interfere because I am who I am. I'm working on just reaching a healthy place instead of a set "look".

Anyway, that's jmho :001_smile:.

No. I want to be at a healthy shape and fitness level for me in my own body and skin. And I can't imagine how answering a question like this would help a personal trainer who I would be hiring to help design and manage a fitness program designed specifically for me. But then I'm not desiring the female equivalent of six-pack abs or anything. I just want to look normal but thin and maybe smooth.

Hmmm... interesting question. I'm not sure I agree with how this was asked though because shouldn't you be asipiring to reach your own personal level of fitness, and if you aim for a celebrity's figure, couldn't that just lead to disappointment since you have your own individual body?

I guess I'm a little tainted right now because I've been reading Made to Crave by Lysa Terkherst (cc book), and she stresses how we have to find our own physical satisfaction with ourselves and not aspire to be anything more than who we were made to be all the while obtaining a healthy lifestyle. For years, I have compared, tried to reach, and failed to obtain a body that I think I should have, but my own muscles, fat cells, frame, and genetics interfere because I am who I am. I'm working on just reaching a healthy place instead of a set "look".

Anyway, that's jmho :001_smile:.

That's true. There's no way to look exactly like someone else. I guess the question was more, how much do I want to look like I work out (washboard abs), as opposed to just being slim and toned? Does that make sense? Obviously, aspiring to look "just like" so-and-so is not helpful, but having a general idea of what kind of body I'd like to have can be motivating. I do know i have a small frame, and I have been quite slim in my youth. I'm hoping that, by eating well, building muscle, and burning fat, I can improve my endurance and energy, as well as look good in clothes and feel good about my appearance.

I just thought it was an interesting question to consider.

Wendi

I had my first workout with my new personal trainer today. When we were discussing my goals, he asked me if there's a celebrity whose figure I admire, someone I want to look like. I couldn't think of one. Basically, I am 5'7" with a slim frame. I'm not interested in looking really "cut", just fit with some muscle definition, so I look (and feel!) healthy and active.

Is there a celebrity out there who you aspire to look like? Why?

Wendi

I would love to look like Kate Winslet. Sadly, I don't think I'll ever have those curves. I'm probably built more like Kirsten Dunst- nothing particularly va va voom going on here.

That's true. There's no way to look exactly like someone else. I guess the question was more, how much do I want to look like I work out (washboard abs), as opposed to just being slim and toned? Does that make sense? Obviously, aspiring to look "just like" so-and-so is not helpful, but having a general idea of what kind of body I'd like to have can be motivating. I do know i have a small frame, and I have been quite slim in my youth. I'm hoping that, by eating well, building muscle, and burning fat, I can improve my endurance and energy, as well as look good in clothes and feel good about my appearance.

I just thought it was an interesting question to consider.

Wendi

I think viewing it the way you are is a very healthy way to think about it. I wonder if the trainer asks that of all clients, because for some, they may not be able to separate the two.

It is a curious question, and I think Jean brings up a good point as to why a trainer would ask this when they should be tailoring the plan to your body. I think that was what I was trying to say.

Edited by jenL

I agree w/the pp. Frankly I've never wanted to look like any celebrity. I was gifted I guess at 5'10" and about 122-130 lbs ... purely genetic.

I've always just opted for strong and fit. In my twenties I worked out a lot to be sculpted. I had time then and it was a "then" thing. Now that I'm .... um.... old....I'd opt for being in shape and feeling good for me. Anything else is unrealistic.

Now unless he means what fitness level? Sculpted vs shapely, vs just plain fit or feel good... I think that can be answered just like that. You'd do certain workouts for strength only, certain ones for only sculpting, certain combos for loosing and gaining muscle or strength. And if he's a decent instructor, he'd know what you would mean by this. But then I hate the whole celebrity aspiration thing and would find that question a bit unprofessional IMO. Yuck.

Wow. I would expect a personal trainer to look at my current fitness level and then guide me to a higher level of fitness correcting any imbalances I may have. Additionally I would hope a personal trainer would encourage well rounded, efficient workouts. Perhaps a better question would have been "what are your goals?"

What would a trainer say if I said I wanted to look like Miranda Kerr?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRagw8HqffWfshW6Y9eMCtHSyN1n6vdQEebMwRGeFgTT_3070Ec

Would a PT somehow help me overcome my genetics or say sorry - no can do.? :lol:

We did talk a lot about my past experience with fitness, weight, etc., and what I'm hoping to achieve. His question was more aimed at, what kind of look (sculpted, washboard abs, "buff", or slim and toned, but not "looking like I lift weights"). Probably he was also wondering how realistic my goals are. I do have a slim frame, but I'm also busty and have curvy hips, so Kate Winslet is more possible than Kate Moss. I do think the "celebrity" question was just another way to get at what my goals are, what I think I can achieve, etc.

Friday we're going to be doing a detailed assessment of my current fitness level, all my measurements, etc.

But today's workout had my quads like jelly. It was fun, though. And motivating to have someone focusing on helping me push myself.

Wendi