Menu

Khan Academy

My daughter told me that she can no longer access her Khan Academy account since her Google account was frozen. Something went wrong with it and she had to enter her birthday. When she did, she was locked out for being under 13 (I didn't realize they had that limit too.)

So, now she can't get on Khan Academy anymore.

How do you get your kids separate profiles when they are under 13?

I guess there's an actual post about ages, etc. on their FAQ page..

http://www.khanacademy.org/about/getting-started#teachers

I'm a teacher, coach, or parent, how do I start using the site with my student(s)?

First things first: you need an account, and you need to be signed in on the Khan Academy. So, sign in or sign up. Once you've got an account you can actually start getting students to add you as their coach.

The next step: every student that you want to coach needs an account as well. Students over 13 can sign up for Google or Facebook accounts immediately.

If your students are under 13:

You currently have two options: you can sign your school up for Google Apps for Education, which will help you provide each student with a Google account that can be used with Khan Academy, or you can have your students' parents individually create accounts for each student on either Google or Facebook. We are constantly working to improve this situation, but that's the best we've got at the moment (sorry!).

If you already have Google Apps for Education accounts but aren't able to use them to sign in on the Khan Academy, you might need to upgrade your account.

Once this is done, each student will need to identify you as their coach. There are detailed instructions and screenshots on the Coach page or you can find them here.

If your students are under 13:

You currently have two options: you can sign your school up for Google Apps for Education, which will help you provide each student with a Google account that can be used with Khan Academy, or you can have your students' parents individually create accounts for each student on either Google or Facebook. We are constantly working to improve this situation, but that's the best we've got at the moment (sorry!).

I just did this. The account has the child's name, but has my birthdate and contact information.

Cat

here's what the TOS of Khan Academy has to say: Eligibility. THE WEBSITE IS NOT AVAILABLE TO ANY PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 13, EXCEPT AS PERMITTED IN THIS SECTION, OR TO ANY USERS PREVIOUSLY SUSPENDED OR REMOVED FROM THE WEBSITE BY KHAN ACADEMY. By clicking the “I Agree†button or by otherwise using the Website, You represent that You have not been previously suspended or removed from the Website by Khan Academy and that You are either (i) at least 13 years of age or (ii) Your account is registered with an organization that has partnered directly with Khan Academy (“Educational Organizationâ€) and Your parent and/or guardian has consented to Your use of the Website through such partner.

So either you need to be 13, or part of an Educational Organization..

I wonder why Khan doesn't have its own registration system? We haven't used it yet for this very reason. (Don't want to set up Google or Facebook accounts for the kids).

Probably because they don't want to run afoul of COPPA. http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/coppafaqs.shtm

This why FB and gmail won't allow accounts for under 13, Yahoo email is available under a family account, but the adult needs a credit card that they charge .50 too.