Menu

Help please! Question about Remediating student in Language Arts

Okay....if you had a year to really buckle down and get a student "caught up" in spelling, grammar etc...pretty much all of Language Arts, what would you use.

I am getting exhausted trying to figure this out, for spelling, if the student is in 6th grade, would I use AAS or SWR? It seems AAS would take a lot longer and be more costly, however...it would get done, I love the lesson plans.

Grammar, I have been thinking about R & S or do Analytical Grammar but then what else do I add. Someone said you could jump in Rod and Staff at about level 4?

What else is considered to be in the area of language arts? Vocabulary?

There are too many options, would love suggestions. I had wanted more "self teaching" things. We don't mind workbooks but....

Spelling is important so I don't mind doing the teaching in it.

Anyway....please let me know your thoughts, I am going crazy. I have a child that really needs to buckle down and get busy...

Kim (homeschooling mom of 7)

I find that we use more than one thing because we need variety (both of us do) both so as not to get sick of one thing and because they cover different aspects.

A big surprise just recently was putting together Learn to Write the Novel Way--not the whole book, but some of the ideas in it--with WWE.

All of a sudden a sentence that had been given in narration as "When they woke up the next morning it was crisp, and there were lots of birds." became (by asking if there were a better word than "lots") "...and pigeons filled the sky, the bushes, and the whole garden."

For a child in 6th grade I would use either Sequential Spelling on CD or Apples: Daily Spelling Drills. Both of these can be completed independently.

For grammar I would use Steps to Good Grammar. it is similar in approach to Analytical Grammar, but much cheaper.

Walch Power Basic Composition may to a good fit. I have't used this product, but I have used other Power Basics products. Power Basics products are designed to meet 6th-12th grade standards, but are written at a lower reading level. They are not babyish in any way, but they assume no prior knowledge.

I don't know that I would worry about vocabulary. If the spelling is really behind, I would probably focus on that. If you really need something, my middle ds used Vocabulary Cartoons Elementary Edition one year. It is fun and won't take up too much time.

If reading is also an issue, you could look into anime comic books in order to get the ball rolling. There are also a number of high-low books out there.

HTH-

Mandy

"Language arts" includes phonics, reading/literature, grammar, composition, spelling/vocabulary, and penmanship.

Rod and Staff's English series covers composition as well as grammar and other stuff like using resource materials and public speaking.

R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure is very good. From sixth grade on it's a textbook instead of a workbook...which makes it even better. :-)

You could throw in a couple of Progeny Press study guides for reading/literature. Or you could have choose books from the 1000 Good Books List and have your dc do book reports using the forms from the Love to Learn Place.

Galore Park English is mostly self-teaching. I'm not sure exactly where your child would place, but if the student is fifth or sixth grade, you might be able to start with So You Really Want to Learn English 1. I use Junior English for my 7 year old and supplement spelling with AAS because she needs it.

THANK YOU THANK YOU for the great ideas, exactly what I was looking for. I have one child that has been so hard to get "caught up" in this area. Not because he has any specific learning problems, mainly just life happens, 6 other children, he has thrown me a loop because he has not been "self teaching" like my two older daughters. He I have to push and push and push and sometimes I just get worn down, to be honest. He will do the work but I want something he can do w/ little help from me. He goes a lot w/ his dad during the winter months, they do hunting and camping etc.. so I need stuff he can do on his own or w/ a little help.

Thank you for the ideas!! I appreciate it. I have sort of stalled out on him.

Kim

I'm in the same position. I've got a 6th grade son that wears me down honestly. I came here to do a search for CQLA and possibly Analytical Grammar. I love the looks of CQLA and AG now. I've been looking into AG this evening. I'm still undecided but if I do AG I will probably do Meaningful Composition which is the writing component of CQLA. I think we could do MC during the Review and Reinforce weeks of AG. I also know of a few people that use CQLA and AG both. I think I'm going to try to talk to them soon.

Well I know this doesn't help but I just thought I'd throw out that I can completely sympathize with you and I'm following this thread! :bigear:

We use AAS for spelling and LOVE it and BJU Reading this year. He's loving the reading class right now. EG is going ok. I like it but I honestly want something that doesn't take years to teach grammar. I like that AG can be done over 1, 2 or 3 years. It makes me feel like there might be hope that we can get him up to speed before highschool. :blink:

Well I know this doesn't help but I just thought I'd throw out that I can completely sympathize with you and I'm following this thread! :bigear:

:blink:

Actually...it helps a lot, thank you!!! Yep..mine wears me down terribly! I have thought about AG also, I too like that it can be covered in a few years verses years of book after book.

What is BJU Reading?

What is BJU Reading?

Bob Jones distance learning classes. He's in 6th grade but actually doing the 5th grade reading class because it has a "spy" theme and Mrs. Walker teaches it. BJU Reading 5 sample video This same child had a HORRIBLE time learning to read and he begged to do this class instead of the 6th grade so I let him. It was an easy decision to make to encourage more reading from him. The whole of Language Arts is just a nightmare with this kid. Some days I just want to :banghead:

Age is helping. The older he gets the easier things are. I think it's just a matter of him being ready to learn these things. He's on a much later time line than most other kids.

I absolutely love CQLA but the one thing that is drawing me to AG is the fact that AG is what it is. If I try AG right now and it's not working well we can shelf it and pick it back up in 6 months. It's the same when we come back. And very direct. With other LA's and CQLA the level of requirement keeps ramping up if I try to place him near his "grade" level. If I place him in a lower "grade" or level on a LA then his self esteem takes a hit. AG requires the same no matter his age and that makes using it with this son much easier than trying to place him in another LA.

I've definitely not made a final decision but I'm leaning heavily towards AG, MC and keep with AAS to help his spelling...yet another struggle for this kid. Thank goodness for spell check :001_unsure:

The main thing I would add is...depending on how far he is behind, don't "limit" him or you on how long it takes to get "caught up." You want a goal, yes, but the timing of how long it takes may not be in your control or his. That's ok. Pick out some things that will work and will get done as you say, make them priority subjects, and then see how he progresses.

Merry :-)

Merry, I was just telling my husband the same thing. I told him that even though I wanted to get done with grammar while he is middle school that I completely believe we will still have to work on it in high school. This kid just refuses to follow any kind of traditional timeline. I'm ok with that. The goal is to get grammar before 9th grade but if it doesn't happen I'm ok with that too.

Thanks for the reminder!

Yes Merry...thank you for the reminder. I appreciate everyone's input.

I brought up grammar w/ my older girls last night and they said "EASY GRAMMAR" hands down.

I have a question about Easy Grammar...if you don't mind. I am NOT good at grammar. Are there enought explanations in the book and which one would I start with? Also..on Easy Grammar is there a writing component? I really want to use SWI w/ IEW, I think my kids would love it.

I had started looking at Hake English because it has everything it looks like but I am going to be doing AAS for spelling/or SWR with him (not sure yet on that).

I like the Hake because it had vocabulary built in but maybe the Progeny Guides would be good. I had thought about doing Sonlight "loosely", mainly for the read a louds/readers etc...but....

Just thinking out loud..please let me know what you all think.

I have really struggled with this son, I get fed up and decide on Switched on Schoolhouse because we seem to bump heads a lot. I don't like SOS for him, he just hurries through it and then on a quiz or whatever he can't look back so I end up printing it out anyway...

Okay..think I am done for now..ha!

Thanks again for your help. I have spent hours and hours mulling over things and I just need to decide and get moving.

Kim

Kim