Menu

Yet another parenting WWYD.

Does C.S. Lewis occasionally give you a bye from schoolwork?  

1. 1. Does C.S. Lewis occasionally give you a bye from schoolwork?

• Yes. She's only six and she's reading classic literature. Send her skating.
    • No. If she doesn't do her schoolwork, she doesn't go skating.

I think you handled it well.

For my 10yo, who still loses herself in a book when she should be doing something else, we have instituted a new policy. The book sits on the fridge for the rest of that day unless she needs it for school. It has only happened once. :D

:svengo:Now THAT is torture! Having a half-read book and no access to it. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't had a chance to read the other responses yet, so I don't know if someone else said this, but if my kids read ahead in a book I was reading aloud to them, I'd be REALLY upset. If it's a read-aloud, it's because it's something I adored as a kid and want to share with them. When I read to them I turn the book so they can't see the pages. Ok, so maybe I'm just really controlling. :lol:

How did you get to The Magician's Nephew already? We were on Prince Caspian at the same time, and here we just finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

When my kids were 6, if I wanted them to do something, I would have gone and fetched them myself or asked them to come where I was.

I would not have expected them to pass up reading a cool book like the Magician's Nephew in favor of chores or schoolwork.

Unless you specifically ASKED her to come do her schoolwork, I would let her go skating.

:iagree:

I haven't had a chance to read the other responses yet, so I don't know if someone else said this, but if my kids read ahead in a book I was reading aloud to them, I'd be REALLY upset. If it's a read-aloud, it's because it's something I adored as a kid and want to share with them. When I read to them I turn the book so they can't see the pages. Ok, so maybe I'm just really controlling. :lol:

I'm like this about some books but not others. There have been read-aloud books that I actually hide. I required that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe be read-aloud only, but I've let her read ahead in the rest of the Narnia series. Except for Dawn Treader, my favorite. With The Horse and His Boy I positively encouraged self-reading.

How did you get to The Magician's Nephew already? We were on Prince Caspian at the same time, and here we just finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

She's read some of it, although not a whole lot, on her own. We often do two chapters in a night, and I'm guessing that you just do one?

I'm like this about some books but not others. There have been read-aloud books that I actually hide. I required that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe be read-aloud only, but I've let her read ahead in the rest of the Narnia series. Except for Dawn Treader, my favorite. With The Horse and His Boy I positively encouraged self-reading.

She's read some of it, although not a whole lot, on her own. We often do two chapters in a night, and I'm guessing that you just do one?

We just do one because then I have to switch rooms and read to the olders...

When my kids were 6, if I wanted them to do something, I would have gone and fetched them myself or asked them to come where I was.

I would not have expected them to pass up reading a cool book like the Magician's Nephew in favor of chores or schoolwork.

Unless you specifically ASKED her to come do her schoolwork, I would let her go skating.

:iagree:

Sounds like something my dd would do. She is very easily distracted and by the time I went to get her she probably would have forgotten all about the school work. In fact, she probably would have forgotten about it before we finished reading the chapter together. Now, if I came to get her and she refused THEN she'd be in big trouble. But for getting distracted, especially by something like reading a good book, she would not be in trouble.

I would let her go this time, but I would position it as a learning thing.

I would say, "I'm really glad that you liked that book so much, and I understand how badly you wanted to read it, but next time you feel that way, make sure you ask me if you can do this instead of your regular lessons that day." Every once in a while I would even suggest this.

This reminds me of the time I told DD, about the same age, that I would read as long as she wanted me to from the current longish children's novel we were reading. I got to the end of the chapter, and she wanted me to keep going. At the end of each of the next three chapters she asked to continue, and at the end of the third one, she just said, "How about if I let you know if I want you to stop, Mommy, so you don't have to keep asking me?" I ended up reading her that book for two and a half hours--until it was done. She remember this to this day. (She is 15 now.)

If my 6 y/o was reading CS Lewis, that would so count for school!

I agree BUT if I told my dd she needed to do X, then I'd have to stick to that. Oh, I might get flexible and ask if she's reading it... then if the answer is yes, I'd remind her that I had told her we would do X next... Then I'd trim the "school subjects list" for the day to ONLY the first thing. After we did that, I'd announce that the rest of the school subjects were reading. :D