Menu

shin splints - HELP!!!

I have only had 1 really awesome run in the past 3 weeks. Another one was so-so. The other attempts have ended in walking. Today the shin splints were so bad, I thought I would have to stop completely. I've never had this particular trouble last this long. I've had back pain, hip pain, neck/shoulder pain, and I pretty much know what to do for those. Early in my running program (Aug-Sept), I'd have shin splints that would go away after a short time and I never had to stop running (slow down or alter my gate, but not stop). Now, I have to stop running completely and start walking. My shoes are not that old. This is the second pair since Sept. The soles still look great and my feet feel great. Everything feels great but the shins!!

What do I do?

ARe you using an anti inflammatory approach? Ice? An anti inflammatory med if not contraindicated for you?

Once you get the inflammation calmed down, you may benefit from additional strengthening and stretching. Can you work in some cross training (riding a bike or stationary bike, swimming, etc.) while you work on getting the inflammation calmed down?

Do you know if your shoes work well for your foot motion? Sometimes orthotics can be beneficial. One cause of shin splints can be overpronation.

I was a very serious runner for years and had lots of shin splints. I also developed a stress fracture in my fibula (pain was much more concentrated in one area than w/ my previous bouts of shinsplints). I kept running on it and eventually had a bigger fracture of my fibula (beyond a stress fracture).

When I had shin splints the only solution was to stop running completely for a month. I spent the time stretching, icing my legs and doing weight bearing exercises/lifting weights to strengthen them then was fine when I restarted running.

I haven't run in a long time, but I used to get shin splints like crazy. They were so painful -- so I can certainly sympathize with you. Some things I tried: First, just stay off of them awhile and give them a chance to heal. Other than that, I would often tape them before running. I believe there are videos on YouTube that show you how. Also, I heard that with shin splints, you're better off running on a softer surface rather than asphalt/concrete. I think ice would help a little too.