Menu

new ski resort ideas, please. planning trip

hi,

we want to take our teen son sking in feb. and need to know of some great places to go. we have been to park city and loved it, but want somewhere different. would like to go somewhere where they have great teen programs. since our son is by himself, he will want to do some fun things without mom and dad. any ideas??? colorado, vermont, wymoming would be fine, just don't know where. saw something on smuggler's noche (i think) in vermont and it looked good for family stuff. airfaire wasn't bad either. thanks.

angel

We went to Whistler Blackcomb (in Canada) last year & really enjoyed it. Not sure if they have specific teen programs (other than ski/snowboard lessons), but they have a tube park too. Plenty of other things to do up there too. Wonderful place.

Let us know where you pick. I always like finding out info about good family-friendly places to ski.

We went to Whistler Blackcomb (in Canada) last year & really enjoyed it. Not sure if they have specific teen programs (other than ski/snowboard lessons), but they have a tube park too. Plenty of other things to do up there too. Wonderful place.

Let us know where you pick. I always like finding out info about good family-friendly places to ski.

thanks for info. i will keep you informed. i did find out about a cool water park--not exactly snow related, but nonetheless, a great family place. it is called wolf lodge and there are several locations in u.s. my sis went with school age and tween kids and they had a fantastic time. some type of scavenger hunt in the hotel with a magic want that they loved.

angel

I have skiied at Smuggler's Notch and really liked it. However, it couldn't be more different from Rocky Mountain skiing. In Vermont, they measure and report the snow cover in inches; in Colorado in feet. In Vermont ice is pretty prevalent, and in the Rockies I think they mostly ski in deep powder. Here in CA the snow tends to be packed powder, which I really like. If I moved back to Vermont I'm not so sure I would continue to ski. Between the extreme cold, the ice, and the narrow trails, it's pretty challenging.

If you would consider Lake Tahoe, you might try Kirkwood. They have excellent beginners' packages, and as they are very high up they tend to have snow even when others do not. However, so far this had been a bad snow year for California, and I would be cautious about assuming that you'll have a good time here. The nice thing about Tahoe is that there is so much to do in the area that even if you don't ski, you can have a great time.

we took our kids to steamboat and vail. They love steamboat. It is great with kids. The kids teen program is a lot of fun! They have a ton to do there as well so everyone has fun. Vail was wonderful as well in the kids club. I didnt care for the town...but the mountain and kids school was wonderful. I didnt like vail only because the transportation was terrible and you would need to rent a car to drive around. Steamboat has buses all over and free transportation so you wouldnt need a car!

I love smugglers notch. One thing to consider is that most Vermont schools have two spring break weeks, one in february and a second in april. Prices tend to be higher and the ski areas more crowded during breaks but there are a lot more teens on the mountain if you are looking for a chance for your son to meet other kids.

However, it couldn't be more different from Rocky Mountain skiing. In Vermont, they measure and report the snow cover in inches; in Colorado in feet. In Vermont ice is pretty prevalent, and in the Rockies I think they mostly ski in deep powder.

This is a good point. My dh grew up skiing (mostly in Europe, some in the US & Canada). However, for US & Canadian skiing, he has said repeatedly that the East Coast ski areas tend to have way more ice than other places (vs. locations further west).

This is a good point. My dh grew up skiing (mostly in Europe, some in the US & Canada). However, for US & Canadian skiing, he has said repeatedly that the East Coast ski areas tend to have way more ice than other places (vs. locations further west).

Sorry to hijack, but how does your DH rate US ski resorts compared to European. I find the ski resorts in Europe way too busy these days, and was hoping that maybe they're a bit more civilised in the US and Canada. I'd love to hear your views.

Many thanks

Cassy

Sorry to hijack, but how does your DH rate US ski resorts compared to European. I find the ski resorts in Europe way too busy these days, and was hoping that maybe they're a bit more civilised in the US and Canada. I'd love to hear your views.

Cassy, in our experience, Europe (northern Italy/Dolomites) is less crowded than Canada (Whistler). We have skied in Italy a few times, always during high season, it it was less crowded; we were at Whistler during low season. (High season at Whistler was beginning as we left; I could not believe how crowded it was getting! Totally crazy, imo.)

I don't have other comparisons, though, as those are the only locations we've visited in the past dozen or so years. (Dh could give more info from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s if you wanted some antique info. ;):lol:)

I am not a skier, but ds and dh are going to Durango (Purgatory) next week for a ski trip. The two of them went together last year and really enjoyed it (and with hs they were able to go at a time when most other kids were in school so it wasn't too crowded). We have been as a family several times; I don't know how it compares to other places, but my husband says that it is much more family oriented than other Colorado places he has been.

I am not a skier, but ds and dh are going to Durango (Purgatory) next week for a ski trip. The two of them went together last year and really enjoyed it (and with hs they were able to go at a time when most other kids were in school so it wasn't too crowded). We have been as a family several times; I don't know how it compares to other places, but my husband says that it is much more family oriented than other Colorado places he has been.

thank you. i have been there in summer and it is simply gorgeous. i also heard it was a great ski resort in winter. thanks for reminding me of this place. i need to look at it.

angel

Cassy, in our experience, Europe (northern Italy/Dolomites) is less crowded than Canada (Whistler). We have skied in Italy a few times, always during high season, it it was less crowded; we were at Whistler during low season. (High season at Whistler was beginning as we left; I could not believe how crowded it was getting! Totally crazy, imo.)

I don't have other comparisons, though, as those are the only locations we've visited in the past dozen or so years. (Dh could give more info from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s if you wanted some antique info. ;):lol:)

Thanks Stacia, that's ... a bit disappointing :tongue_smilie:. I'd really hoped that there'd be a resort in North America that was calm and idyllic :lol:. DS10 and I were getting so excited last night looking at some of the resorts mentioned here. But it's a long way to go to to have the same experience we could have in Europe. We usually go to resorts in France, which are insanely busy. Maybe we should try Italy. A friend goes to Austria every year and highly recommends it, so that's another possibility.

Anyway, many thanks again.

Best wishes

Cassy

Thanks Stacia, that's ... a bit disappointing :tongue_smilie:. I'd really hoped that there'd be a resort in North America that was calm and idyllic :lol:. DS10 and I were getting so excited last night looking at some of the resorts mentioned here. But it's a long way to go to to have the same experience we could have in Europe. We usually go to resorts in France, which are insanely busy. Maybe we should try Italy. A friend goes to Austria every year and highly recommends it, so that's another possibility.

Well, I'm kind of watching this thread too, hoping to find some great US resorts that aren't insanely busy.

Where are you living, if you don't mind me asking? :001_smile:

I'd definitely recommend northern Italy/Dolomites for skiing (or for hiking in the summer). This is the area we love (& my in-laws go there every year). Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Very family-friendly too, imo.

Well, I'm kind of watching this thread too, hoping to find some great US resorts that aren't insanely busy.

Where are you living, if you don't mind me asking? :001_smile:

I'd definitely recommend northern Italy/Dolomites for skiing (or for hiking in the summer). This is the area we love (& my in-laws go there every year). Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Very family-friendly too, imo.

Hi Stacia. I've never been to Italy, although DH has been climbing in the Dolomites and loved it, so I'll see what he thinks. We're in North Yorkshire, UK.

Best wishes

Cassy

Hi Stacia. I've never been to Italy, although DH has been climbing in the Dolomites and loved it, so I'll see what he thinks. We're in North Yorkshire, UK.

I know most of the British folks in my ski class said they flew to Innsbruck & then drove from there.... (Just in case you need that info. ;):D)