Menu

Sewing pattern help please? Easy pattern needed!

Some of you might remember that I recently happily learned to use the sewing machine-- I've been playing around with it and sewing all kinds of things that I invented on my own. Doll clothes, costumes, and mending things... but now i would like to really learn how to sew according to a pattern.

Can you please recommend an easy pattern, or brand of patterns, for a beginner? I went to Joann yesterday and was really overwhelmed!

I thought I should start with a jumper for my DD5, who is chubby and would need a 'plus size' pattern.

Thanks!!!

Nyssa

ETA if there is a good website you like with pattern recommendations, please let me know! thanks!!

Hi

Start with a simple skirt with elastic waist.

Then make a simple dress, sack-style. Pick a pretty

cotton pattern so it looks nice even if it's simple.

The jumper will be harder so I would say leave it until

after the skirt and dress.

Any brand will do.

Etsy has great PDF patterns. Lots have full color pics and very easy instructions!

This is very true, but look at reviews first if you can. Some of them are absolutely not drafted well and have miserable instructions. [same can be said of a lot of patterns, not just Etsy.] A good place to look for reviews on a pattern is http://www.patternreview.com or http://www.sewingmamas.com

As a general rule, I recommend Kwik Sew patterns. Their patterns are basically a sewing lesson in the instructions. In addition to their patterns, they have books with master patterns. The pictures are very dated, but you can make contemporary clothing for kids as the styles don't change much for younger kids. Google and people show pictures of modern items made from the patterns. These are extensive lessons in sewing itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Sewing-Toddlers-Kerstin-Martensson/dp/0913212164

Re JA by the way, most of those patterns go on sale for $1.99 or $0.99 regularly. Don't pay full price! ;) Their Sew Baby patterns on the end on the little spinning rack can be cute and easy to sew also.

I don't have any recommendations for beginning patterns, but would be willing to help you decipher instructions if you get stuck and don't know what they're saying to do. I've been sewing since I was a teen and worked in alterations for several years, and I still find that sometimes the instructions aren't all that clear.

I really like Kwik Sew patterns. I like them as they make sense. When you have to add elastic, it tells you how to use, not "take a comfortable waist measurement and add one inch" which always resulted in a waist that was too big. Kwik Sew patterns fit my kids well always and still fit well when I am sewing for Grand kids. I made my 5 yr old grandaughter PJ's from a SImplicity or McCalls and they still don't fit 2 years later. It might be I am just so used to Kwik Sew, but I always feel like the other brands run big, take extra steps, put in zippers where you don't need them, etc.

Kwik Sew are not readily available, but you can find them on the internet. they come with multiple sizes , which translate into if you love the pattern you will have it for a few years. I love almost all of my Kwik Sew patterns! I trace whatever size I want to use onto tissue paper, but you can buy pattern tracing paper at teh fabric store. I forget what it's called, but I use it for patterns I will be making frequently like PJ's.

Look at pattern number 3862. It's actually a sun dress with or without a ruffle at the bottom, but she could wear it with a t shirt underneath and call it a jumper. Start with the non ruffle first and then when you get the facings and zipper figured out, make the one with the ruffle. As PP mentioned a skirt is a good place to start, and Kwik sew has some cute ones, but that might not be a good fit for you daughter. My grandaughter is 5 and she much prefers to throw on a dress and keep on running.

I don't know that you will find plus size kids patterns. You may just have to go up a size and make it shorter, which a jumper or a skirt a good idea.

Kwik Sew has a section called Kwik start for beginners. Maybe there is something there that would interest you.

I also recommend nancy zieman's sewing from A to Z book. Nancy has a show on PBs called Sewing with Nancy. SHe has covered this book recently and it is good solid advice and I picked up a few tips along the way too even tho I have been sewing for hmm..40 years!

I have bought patterns on Etsy and had to print them out. No thanks. I didn't get the pieces lined up and it was a mess.

Edited by KatieinMich

Having worked with my 4-H kids using patterns made by different companies, I can offer this advice:

1. Kwik Sew patterns are very simple and provide the most basic directions. They don't seem to assume you know too much about reading a pattern.

2. Simplicity's It's So Easy & Sew Simple patterns are pretty easy to work with; they're definitely easier than regular Simplicity patterns.

3. Buttrick patterns are on the same level as regular Simplicity. They both assume knowledge of pattern reading.

4. Burda patterns are terrible even for experienced seamstresses (or seamsters).

Read over all of the directions for your project before you start. Pay special attention to the first page (the one with the cutting directions), and look over the markings on some of the pattern pieces while you have the first page directions in hand. Circle the project/size/necessary-pattern-piece-numbers/etc. so that you don't have to find your place all the time when looking back at stuff.

You may have to google some vocab or techniques...

HTH!

Edited by Amy in NH

I love the patterns from this shop.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/whimsycouture?ref=seller_info

Her peasant dress pattern is so easy. It is made from four rectangles. My big girls wear this pattern as tops and gowns and my little girls wear them as dresses and gowns.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87304231/whimsy-couture-sewing-pattern-pdf

I have made the reversible children's pants and the hooded scarf. I have the hooded jacket and the ladies swing jacket, but haven't had time to try them.

The patterns are sent as pdfs. You print the pattern piece(s) with your printer. It comes with a tutorial that has pictures of her making the garment step by step. This is so easy. I can make four of the little girls dresses/gowns in an afternoon.

I sew all of the girls skirts, dresses, jumpers, and gowns. This is the easiest, quickest pattern I have found.

IMG_4174-1.jpg

Hannah wearing a peasant dress made from the pattern.

IMG_0007copy-1.jpg

Hannah wearing a gown made from the pattern and Miriam wearing a top made from pattern.