Menu

I Shouldn't Ask, Should I?

beaners

So, there was a science fair posted on a local homeschooling list today. It's for K-12. Only 5 kids are signed up right now. My daughter has been talking about science fairs constantly since they were featured prominently in one of her recent books. But she is 4.5.

I know it's silly to even consider asking if they'd let her in, because by age she doesn't meet the cutoff here. I also think she'd love it. Oh, and they have a planetarium show afterward, and she loves astronomy. I know I would be one of those ridiculous parents if I emailed and asked. So why do I want to?

Just list her as K and enter her-unless they specifically give age cutoffs. My DD was in K at age 4, and that was in a traditional school, and therefore started competing as a 1st grader for homeschool science fair and spelling bee at age 5. Just remember that next year, she's a 1st grader for purposes of that science fair, not a K'er.

Edited by dmmetler

So, there was a science fair posted on a local homeschooling list today. It's for K-12. Only 5 kids are signed up right now. My daughter has been talking about science fairs constantly since they were featured prominently in one of her recent books. But she is 4.5.

I know it's silly to even consider asking if they'd let her in, because by age she doesn't meet the cutoff here. I also think she'd love it. Oh, and they have a planetarium show afterward, and she loves astronomy. I know I would be one of those ridiculous parents if I emailed and asked. So why do I want to?

I help coordinate a science fair, and I'd be happy to let in younger kids! My only caveat is that if it were competitive (and I'm guessing if there are kindergardners involved it's not!) that participants maintain some consistency from year to year -- I wouldn't want someone who started early to remain in the elementary division forever just because they "could" have been held back.... so once you were in the 3rd-5th grade group, early or not, I'd want you out after three years there. Beyond that, though, it can't hurt to ask!

Just list her as K and enter her-unless they specifically give age cutoffs. My DD was in K at age 4, and that was in a traditional school, and therefore started competing as a 1st grader for homeschool science fair and spelling bee at age 5. Just remember that next year, she's a 1st grader for purposes of that science fair, not a K'er.

I agree. As there are so few kids signed up now, I suspect the organizer will be thrilled to have another entry.

We had a noncompetitive science fair a while ago, and there were a few tiny kids involved; they were the hit of the show. One little girl turned up with a rock. We led her along the scientific path, asking where it came from and why she thought it was so smooth (her guess? Beavers.).

I have done it before and it has never been a problem. I used to ask but I realized most places don't really want an explanation and usually are happy to have participants so now I don't really worry.

If that means being "one of THOSE parents" well...I have been called worse, and by now I would rather be one of the parents worried about intellect than one worried about their kids chance to be a professional athlete! If my kids want to do these things I usually figure out a way.

:iagree: Just enter her.

Well, you've convinced me to check into it! I was so hesitant because her summer birthday is less than 2 months from the cutoff for entering kindergarten locally next year. She really isn't even close to being the normal K age around here. I entered school as a late 4, but you have to be 5 here.

I will see what the organizer has to say. If they want her to wait until next year, hopefully she can still go to look at the other exhibits!