Menu

SOTW is going to become a bedtime story in our house now.

momsuz123

Yep, I am just struggling trying to fit this in, but I really like it and so does my 8 y/o (6 y/o so-so). I am really focusing a lot on the 3 R's because I think this area is so important, and being a new hs, I want to get this right. However, I think history is important too (along with everything else really), so I am going to try and make it a bed time story and then do the activity the next day for art. Any thoughts?

I think it's a good idea. I have a friend whose husband reads SOTW to their children at night. I'm having hard time squeezing it in myself, because the youngest kids are so darn noisy. I find that reading history during lunch works out decently. They are (in theory) busy eating (except for the noisy 3 year old who only eats under duress). But anyway, since I eat much faster than they do anyway, it works cause their hands and mouths are busy and their bodies are already confined to the seat.

Now if I could just remember to actually get it out, we'd be much farther along in the book!!

That is what we do with Story of the Pilgrims. Makes great bedtime stories. And during breakfast I read our Bible story to dd. This really helps because dd has a hard time sitting too long for school. So making part of it a bedtime story spaces it out and she is more attentive. We are also reading other books I have printed such as Great Americans, etc.

I think this could work. We are working our way (slowwwwwwly) through CHOW as a bedtime story. We listen to the Jim Weiss SOTW audios in the car, but only chapters we have covered together already.

I often end up reading either history or science to them over lunch - it's a great time of day that is often lost if I run away to wash dishes or (gasp!) eat my own lunch. Plus, that way, even the 4 year old is a more-or-less captive audience, and delights friends and family with big words like metamorphosis...! :-)))

Sure, that's fine. I also suggest getting the IR books out of the library--they are great for assigned reading. Also get other books on the subject, and add them in to your read alouds and the book shelf, so you can layer on the various angles on the subjects. That can really cement the material.

Thanks but what does IR mean? Sorry if this is a no brained, but I don't know.

Thanks but what does IR mean? Sorry if this is a no brained, but I don't know.

Oh sorry, IR is independent reading. It's a designation in the Activity Guide for books that are at the reading level of the child rather than RA (read alouds).

The SOTW1 IR books are perfect for emerging readers. It's kind of nice for a struggling early reader to be able to take a breather and read a book that relates to what they are hearing about in history.

Last year I read SOTW 2 at supper to our whole family and we all enjoyed it. I think that SOTW 3 is more advanced, and sorry to say, much, much more difficult for the 8 and under crowd to grasp. Sometimes I can read a chapter to the people, but not always. SOTW 1, however, is a fine bedtime type read aloud, I think.