Menu

Tell me this schedule will work...

DH and I own a small business that is on life support. I have been working per diem 2-8 days/month doing clinic coverage (on top of helping with the business and homeschooling) for several months now just to keep our family finances "ok." I recently accepted a regular parttime job (18-20 hrs/month) on top of the per diem and the work I do for the company. We can get by on the money from those hours alone, or from the current business income alone, but not comfortably. My parttime work will more than double our income at this point and support us if the business completely tanks.

So this means that DH and I will alternate teaching the kids. I will write up the lesson plan. He will follow the lesson plan. We have another tech who will cover any emergency calls from clients during the times he is home with the kids.

In my mind, it works. It's not ideal. But it works. It's better than going broke or putting the kids back in PS. What say the hive?

I have not read the other answers; sometimes that can help before answering, but I want my head clear.

Pros: You will write up the lesson plan.

Your dh will help implement.

If you are both on board with this, I don't see how it can fail.

Your children are young. Keep covering the basics, math, lit, whatever they do for fun. Limit passive screen time but add in educational tv if it helps to further your schooling right now. For my family, at this age, a regular routine would be important, but it doesn't matter who is in charge of that routine.

It may not be ideal. I too would find it better than going broke or putting my kids in ps. The crazy times, the hard times, can be the times that really bond your family together and strengthen your marriage. You have flexibility in your hsing right now--you can embrace it and use it to everyone's advantage.

Fwiw, I went back to work parttime, 24 hrs/wk, when my kids were 10 and 14. I wrote out the lesson plans. We were all in complete understanding and agreement that my dh, although he was home during that time, would not be teaching or helping any more than encouraging the kids to "get your work done." It's worked (by the grace of God, but it has worked).

It seems to me it's a great opportunity, and you have a husband who is supportive (not in any way implying that mine wasn't!). Again, I want to emphasize that, in your position, I would focus on the basics. The academics can shift a bit to a lower priority, while your family works together to make this positive for ALL of you.

:grouphug:

I have to travel overnights for work, so I do something similar -- I write up lessons, teach as much as I can on my days off, and the rest is up to my substitute teacher (my mom). This works because she has zero desire to plan anything, and prefers to work from an established format/planner. She and I both trust her enough to tweak anything as needed on-the-spot, but it's generally assumed that the work will be completed upon my return home. She's a great partner and co-teacher, and it sounds like you'll have the same.

The one thing that messed me up initially was that I had to change some of my educational philosophies and curricula to suit this kind of arrangment. The bigger picture being that homeschooling mattered more than any one program or philosophy. It became important that I factor in my co-teacher's needs/wants when choosing what and how to teach. And I couldn't get too mad if something came up and not all of the schoolwork got done; it'd be frustrating because I'd come home and find we were a day or two behind (which messed up my finely tuned schedule that maximized my days off!) -- I had to remember to keep myself in that mindset that sometimes things come up or days are too pretty to stay inside, and give my mom the benefit of the same flexibility I like(d) when I wasn't working as much.

Best wishes to your family ~ where there's a will, there's a way!

I say it sounds good if your husband will go along with that and make sure the work gets done. I have left a list with my husband before. He doesn't like reading aloud and really won't do that much (save picture books with younger kids), but he's been pretty good about seeing that other things get done. I've never asked him to do science experiments, either, LOL.... I just juggle the work so that mine is doing mostly things he can do on his own when with his Dad and then Dad just has to really supervise.

I was also surprised to find out that my youngest loves a list and when he got a little older, he has always loved to do the things and check them off, so he actually takes it over and pretty much does it on his own for the past few years if I leave them....