Menu

Woman's book club needs book suggestions

Some of my girl friends and I are forming a book club, and I want to suggest some books for us to read. I am a Christian, who likes to read the Bible and classic fiction. The group is mostly crunchy-granola, secular humanist. Everyone but me has one child who is about 10 months old. The book we read last month was about a tribe of people in the Amazon rainforest who have no technology and are living in the stone age. They are perfect because they aren't corrupted by western society. Everything they do shows their wisdom, and ensures their children's well being. If we do as they do, our children will never want to misbehave. :lol:

The others thought the book was a treasure to model our lives after. I thought it was bologna.

What books can I suggest which they would be interested in reading, and I would not find ridiculous?

It could be any kind of book. It could be on health, parenting, a novel, whatever.

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It is a fantastic read for a book club as it has some meaty issues. Read the first review on amazon (titled "Riveting, intellectual, spiritual, thought-provoking,....,") -- I totally agree w/ her view of the book. The third review on the page is also very accurate, imo.

As I read it, I felt sure that this book would be one that would get divided opinions from my book club. Surprisingly, everyone enjoyed it & we had a great discussion about many of the issues/thoughts/ideas from this book. Lots to discuss & debate....

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. It is a fantastic read for a book club as it has some meaty issues. Read the first review on amazon (titled "Riveting, intellectual, spiritual, thought-provoking,....,") -- I totally agree w/ her view of the book. The third review on the page is also very accurate, imo.

As I read it, I felt sure that this book would be one that would get divided opinions from my book club. Surprisingly, everyone enjoyed it & we had a great discussion about many of the issues/thoughts/ideas from this book. Lots to discuss & debate....

:iagree: Good book! The author actually used to live on our street and when our Book Club read her book, she came to the meeting! Her other book A Thread of Grace was good too.

Some interesting books that might be a good fit, while provocative for discussions:

Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750, Laurel Ulrich

Revolutionary Mothers: Women in the Struggle for America's Independence, Carol Berkin

The Story of Beautiful Girl, Rachel Simon

I loved Little Princes by Conor Grennan and always thought it would be an interesting book to discuss. He is a Christian but wasn't at the beginning of the book. His conversion is interspersed with the story but I didn't feel like it was a "hit you over the head" Christian book. Other faiths are represented as well. It would be considered a book on humanitarian efforts.

Two Suggestions:

They Almost Always Come Home http://www.amazon.com/They-Almost-Always-Come-Home/dp/1426702388/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325091886&sr=1-1 Great story about a woman's husband who doesn't come home as scheduled after a hunting trip and she doesn't know if she should be worried or mad, planning a funeral, or planning to kill him for cheating.

Walking On Broken Glass http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Broken-Glass-Christa-Allan/dp/1426702272/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325091965&sr=1-1 Story about a woman struggling with alcoholism and the reaction of her family. Very thought provoking.