Menu

What to do for kid's birthday party?

We have several sets of friends that invite everyone to large parties at their homes. Or, they rent a place where they can bring as many guests as possible.

Do you feel an obligation to return these invites on your own kids' birthdays? Or, do you let your child decide on their own guest list? What if your child wants to do something expensive (like chuck e cheese) that necessitates limiting the guest list to a couple of kids?

Depends. If it's someone we are close with, then we invite. If it's just a class party, then we don't. We might invite someone over at another time, tho, and make that a nice time.

Generally, dd has 4 or 5 friends at a party--we've only had a few parties. We just can't afford a big deal, so we rent a movie, make a craft, and have a sleepover (have for the last two years, anyway). I don't feel obligated.

Of the 4 kids she invited last year, only one had dd at her party anyway. Including her bestie, who just can't seem to find time to come over anymore. Guess the Mom doesn't like us anymore or something.

We have several sets of friends that invite everyone to large parties at their homes. Or, they rent a place where they can bring as many guests as possible.

Do you feel an obligation to return these invites on your own kids' birthdays? Or, do you let your child decide on their own guest list? What if your child wants to do something expensive (like chuck e cheese) that necessitates limiting the guest list to a couple of kids?

1. Nope

2. They decide for themselves, yes

3. Then that is what they do. Then again, we always limit it to just a handful. :)

I would never feel obligated to invite everyone who has invited dd to their parties. Everyone has different ideas as to what's appropriate for birthdays...some people invite their 2 or 3 besties, some 7 or 8 good friends and some the whole class/group of 30+ kids.

:iagree:Quite frankly, we can't afford to throw parties on the same scale as some of the people we know, so we don't do it. We rarely have "big" parties anyway. Usually it is just the family and 1-2 close friends. I don't think its fair to think that every child who invites you to their party has to receive an invitation to yours. You never know a family's situation financially AND some venues can only accommodate a certain number of people.

Last year we had a bowling party for 10 kids. This year, we just couldn't do a big party & ds wanted to go rock climbing - there's no way we could've afforded a 10 kid party. So we told him he could invite 2 friends. I don't feel bad about not inviting more- we all do what we can to make our kids' b-day special & affordable.

I don't feel obligated at all, unless the party was going to be huge (which in our case it wouldn't). I totally leave it up to my kids. Some kids just have big parties and so my kids are invited since the birthday child is inviting so many people. I'm sure they'd understand not being invited (or at least the parents would) when they realize our party is much smaller.