Menu

x-post: National Museum of Natural History ?

PeacefulChaos

We are going to the NMNH in DC in a few weeks for a field trip, and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area and had any input on the best way to get there? As in, should we just drive all the way in and park at a parking garage or should we stop somewhere further out and ride in on the metro? Just trying to get things planned.

TIA! :) :bigear:

ETA: (12/28)

If we go ahead and decide to head in early from Franconia-Springfield, is there anything we could do until the museum opens? I don't mind multiple metro stops, but would like for anywhere we stop to be relatively free. :)

Also, what about strollers on the metro? Will that work at all? (Just one stroller)

Edited by PeacefulChaos

The metro is best, but not just any metro station, as many have full lots after rush hour...I.e. they're full by 6:30 a.m. :tongue_smilie: when i take the metro I usually park at pentagon city mall and take the train from there. The station is in the mall and very easy to find.

Here is a funny rap done by a local guy to educate you about metro issues...

http://www.google.com/search?q=remy+metro+rap&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Edited by Hedgehogs4
Added content

The metro is best, but not just any metro station, as many have full lots after rush hour...I.e. they're full by 6:30 a.m. :tongue_smilie: when i take the metro I usually park at pentagon city mall and take the train from there. The station is in the mall and very easy to find.

http://www.google.com/search?q=remy+metro+rap&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

I'll second this one. I found out to my chagrin that the Springfield Franconia station lots would be totally full by mid morning. Ended up cancelling a trip to the zoo and subbing in going to the Air and Space Museum facility in Dulles (which has a huge parking lot:D).

If you are going down on the weekend, you can often find parking on the street between the American History Museum and the Washington Monument. (There is also legal parking there between rush hours, but I imagine that it fills up.)

Most of the rest of the on street parking is metered and has a 2 hour limite (Monday - Saturday).

Depending on how many people are in your group, it might be worth using a parking garage. When my kids were little, they were free and Metro was much more of a bargain. Now that they are full fare riders, it's less of a good deal for our day trips into the city.

If you were going to use the train a lot, then a multi day pass might be worth it.

We did get a lot of good use out of hotels in the Rosslyn and Ballston area when we used to come up years ago. We could leave our car parked at the hotel and use the local metro station to go into town. Because museums tend to open at 10 am, we could wait until the rush hour ended (which has higher fares).

I totally agree with his question about where the money goes. This has to be one of the highest commuting cities in the US. If you can't get public trans to work here . . .

Too bad there's no homeschooler slug lines to the museums in the morning.:lol:

We are going to the NMNH in DC in a few weeks for a field trip, and I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area and had any input on the best way to get there? As in, should we just drive all the way in and park at a parking garage or should we stop somewhere further out and ride in on the metro? Just trying to get things planned.

This page lists some of the parking garages near the Smithsonian museums.

I haven't tried to use any of them, so I'm not sure if they tend to fill up in the morning.

There are also some comments about Metro stations and parking at this NPS site. The lots near the Jefferson Memorial would probably be farther away than you want to walk if you have little kids.

I totally agree with his question about where the money goes. This has to be one of the highest commuting cities in the US. If you can't get public trans to work here . . .

:iagree: :lol: Wouldn't that be hilarious!?? Lines of mini-vans at the Horner commuter lot? "How many kids? 5? I only have three boosters. Will that work for you?"

Seconding all of that. Especially the Remy video. He cracks me up. Parking at Pentagon City means you have a quick Metro ride - not an epic one. If you want to save money, there are cheaper places, but it's really the easiest and it's not like it's an arm and a leg to do it.

Have fun!

I'll second this one. I found out to my chagrin that the Springfield Franconia station lots would be totally full by mid morning. Ended up cancelling a trip to the zoo and subbing in going to the Air and Space Museum facility in Dulles (which has a huge parking lot:D).

If you are going down on the weekend, you can often find parking on the street between the American History Museum and the Washington Monument. (There is also legal parking there between rush hours, but I imagine that it fills up.)

Most of the rest of the on street parking is metered and has a 2 hour limite (Monday - Saturday).

Depending on how many people are in your group, it might be worth using a parking garage. When my kids were little, they were free and Metro was much more of a bargain. Now that they are full fare riders, it's less of a good deal for our day trips into the city.

If you were going to use the train a lot, then a multi day pass might be worth it.

We did get a lot of good use out of hotels in the Rosslyn and Ballston area when we used to come up years ago. We could leave our car parked at the hotel and use the local metro station to go into town. Because museums tend to open at 10 am, we could wait until the rush hour ended (which has higher fares).

What time is mid morning?

What time is mid morning?

I think we were there by about 9 or 930 and the lot was totally full.

There is a fare reduction that starts at 930 am. It goes back to regular fare 3-7 pm.

There may have been parking if you were there around 7-730. But then you'd be downtown for a couple hours before the museum opened.

BTW, if you're not familiar with DC traffic I would double or triple any travel time estimates that a gps or trip planner might give you. At least for anything within the DC metro area.

Now, this is funny. I can see it now "Where are you going? How many riders? And what curriculum do you use?" "Oh, I'm sorry, this is a Waldorf car, we can't take you". "My fault, I thought this was the WTM line".

BTW, if you're not familiar with DC traffic I would double or triple any travel time estimates that a gps or trip planner might give you. At least for anything within the DC metro area.
:iagree:

I went to this museum a few weeks ago and parked at the Springfield metro. It was a rainy morning so needless to say a normal 35-40 minute trip to the metro took about an hour and a half. We left the station I believe around 8:30 am. (had no issues with parking lot being full). There is a visitors' center directly across from the museum that is open with neat exhibits to look at until the museum opens at 10 am. I would not chance driving all the way to Pentagon City if you are coming North on 95. Even taking HOV if there is an accident there goes your morning.

I think my last blog entry is about our trip. The link is below.

Have fun!

Edited by jamajo

:iagree:

I went to this museum a few weeks ago and parked at the Springfield metro. It was a rainy morning so needless to say a normal 35-40 minute trip to the metro took about an hour and a half. We left the station I believe around 8:30 am. (had no issues with parking lot being full). There is a visitors' center directly across from the museum that is open with neat exhibits to look at until the museum opens at 10 am. I would not chance driving all the way to Pentagon City if you are coming North on 95. Even taking HOV if there is an accident there goes your morning.

I think my last blog entry is about our trip. The link is below.

Have fun!

Thanks! Did you go on a weekday or weekend?

I wouldn't try to take anything larger than an umbrella stroller on the metro.

When I last visited DC, child in stroller in tow, I found that the elevators in the metro stations had very little signage showing where they were or how to find them. So if you need them, you made need to look carefully for them.

I also ran into two elevators that were out of service which led to carrying both child and stroller up the stairs. Balancing pregnant belly, backpack, stroller, and wiggly two year old on the stairs seemed safer than trying that on the escalator.

You might also consider the VRE commuter train which comes all the way up from Fredericksburg with multiple stops along the way. It isn't anymore expensive than taking several kids on the Metro. Kids under 10 are free on the VRE; kids under 5 are free on Metro.

It also has bathrooms. I **think** that parking in their lots is free (the ones near us are, but they do fill up in the mornings). But the last train to DC leaves pretty early - check the website for the schedule if you're interested. You'd get off at L'Enfant station which is a short walk south of the Mall/museums.

We are on the Manassas line, but I've done this with my kiddos in the past to go to the Air & Space museum or the zoo (involves a transfer to Metro). Just don't choose the "quiet car" - usually the one right behind the engine, I think - because there is NO talking/phone use/etc. I took my umbrella stroller on the VRE train, no problem. It's two-story, and my kids always like to sit up top so they can see better, and I even managed the stroller up the stairs. People on the VRE are much more helpful than on the Metro, I've found. You are also allowed to eat on the VRE, but not on the Metro.

Just another option...let me know if you have any questions.

You might also consider the VRE commuter train which comes all the way up from Fredericksburg with multiple stops along the way. It isn't anymore expensive than taking several kids on the Metro. Kids under 10 are free on the VRE; kids under 5 are free on Metro.

It also has bathrooms. I **think** that parking in their lots is free (the ones near us are, but they do fill up in the mornings). But the last train to DC leaves pretty early - check the website for the schedule if you're interested. You'd get off at L'Enfant station which is a short walk south of the Mall/museums.

We are on the Manassas line, but I've done this with my kiddos in the past to go to the Air & Space museum or the zoo (involves a transfer to Metro). Just don't choose the "quiet car" - usually the one right behind the engine, I think - because there is NO talking/phone use/etc. I took my umbrella stroller on the VRE train, no problem. It's two-story, and my kids always like to sit up top so they can see better, and I even managed the stroller up the stairs. People on the VRE are much more helpful than on the Metro, I've found. You are also allowed to eat on the VRE, but not on the Metro.

Just another option...let me know if you have any questions.

Oh, I like VRE idea. For some reason, I thought this only went to the end of the line stations of Metro. If we can go all the way in to Union Station or L'Enfant, that pretty much puts us downtown for museum going on weekdays.

And there is a pretty good rate on reduced youth fares if you do the paperwork ahead of time to get passes.

This may have to be my January project. Get some 10 ride passes for us and see what mayhem we can cause.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think you should drive. I hate taking kids on the Metro--they hate it and everyone around you is rude and impatient with them. Plus, it's just plain exhausting. During the week there is a TON of metered street parking available around the Capitol building, a short walk to the NMNH. It costs about $2 an hour. There is a 2-hour time limit but how long can kids really last in a museum anyway?

P.S. I would never consider the VRE. That is SUCH a long ride. You'll all be worn out before you even get downtown.

P.P.S. If you do decide to take the Metro, I wouldn't go before 9:30 because the commuters are very impatient with tourists--you don't want to get caught up in their anxious rush anyway. And I don't know about the other stations but at West Falls Church, there is a bunch of parking--right at the front of the garage!--that is reserved from like 6:30 am to 10:00 am. It fills up fast after 10:00, but if you get there at about 9:50, it's yours.

Enjoy your trip!

ETA: DH and I were just talking about the cost of parking in DC and even if you did want to stay the whole day and pay for a parking garage, you're looking at about $20 for the day. When you consider that you pay $5 to park at a Metro station and at least $5 round trip per person for the train, it's a better deal to just drive. Plus, you save yourself a LOT of time and energy. (And honestly, I've never had a problem with DC-area traffic after 10 am. Things move pretty smoothly, and I'm coming into DC from Northern Virginia via 66, which is pretty much the worst road in the entire country.)

Edited by infomom

Hope you don't mind me tagging along with your thread, but I can't find the info easily on the Smithsonian website.

Are we allowed to bring backpacks/large purses? I seem to recall after 9/11, bags were not allowed, but I don't see that listed on the website.

We've been having no problem with daypacks and purses. Expect metal detectors and either an xray or inspection for the bags.

Diaper bags should be no problem. There were also tons of strollers at Natural History when we were last there (over the weekend).

Big backpacks or rolling suitcases would be a problem. Also, except for at the National Gallery, I've not seen a coat check at the local museums. (And if I remember correctly, we had to check our backpack at NGA. But that was several months ago, so I'm a little murky.)

The museums do have posted that no food or drink is allowed. I don't know if they would ask you to remove it if it were in a pack or if they only stop you if you're eating in the museum.

Depends on the kids. 2 hours is no where near long enough for our visits. We're hard over in the wait for opening, hot dog lunch and then leave at dinner time crowd.

But that's what we've been training the kids to do since they were tiny.

But you make an excellent point about the price of parking vs the Metro fares. If you have older kids, who have to pay, then it does add up quickly.

we were just there in Oct. We had snacks and sandwiches no place questioned them. Even the water bottles.

the only place that did on the water bottles was the Holocaust museum and they just made ds drink out of them.

Oh and yes there were some metro riders that were in a huge rush, BUT we also had conversations with people and in general if we asked a question people answered and directed us which way to go.

I can't imagine 2 hours being worth us even going. :) We are a family that regularly does longer outings, though, so I think they'll all be fine with it.

I talked to DH (before hearing about the VRE - I need to check that angle out, for sure!) and it basically comes down to either leaving really early to get to DC at a good enough time to get a parking spot, and dealing with the hassle of traffic and such, OR leaving really early to get to the metro station around 7:30 so we could get a parking spot and ride the metro in. Even with the cost difference, we're leaning toward the metro, especially since it'll be a fun and different experience for the boys. :) I'm assuming if I feel confident in my ability to navigate a NYC subway with the kids, that we'll be good with the DC metro. :)

We're going to go sans stroller, DD doesn't even like riding in it and I don't feel it would be worth the hassle to take it when she may not even use it, kwim? :)

Now I'm off to go investigate the VRE option. Thanks! :D

I can't imagine 2 hours being worth us even going. :) We are a family that regularly does longer outings, though, so I think they'll all be fine with it.

I talked to DH (before hearing about the VRE - I need to check that angle out, for sure!) and it basically comes down to either leaving really early to get to DC at a good enough time to get a parking spot, and dealing with the hassle of traffic and such, OR leaving really early to get to the metro station around 7:30 so we could get a parking spot and ride the metro in. Even with the cost difference, we're leaning toward the metro, especially since it'll be a fun and different experience for the boys. :) I'm assuming if I feel confident in my ability to navigate a NYC subway with the kids, that we'll be good with the DC metro. :)

We're going to go sans stroller, DD doesn't even like riding in it and I don't feel it would be worth the hassle to take it when she may not even use it, kwim? :)

Now I'm off to go investigate the VRE option. Thanks! :D

Even still, an all-day parking garage would be a better deal and a lot easier (and you could come in later). You'll be paying for four people to ride the train, plus parking at the Metro station--that's over $20, which is the standard daily parking rate. Just sayin...

Of course, if your family would enjoy riding the train then that's part of your DC experience, so go for it. I just hate the train. And yeah, the Metro system here is much, much simpler to navigate than NYC, so if you've got that down, you'll be more than fine.