Menu

Has anyone vacationed in Ocean City, MD? Need recommendations

We are planning a family trip to Ocean City, MD in August. There are 10 of us going. I didn't realize there were all different "parts" of Ocean City. We want to rent a 4-5 br house/condo either on the beach or within walking distance. Also, an added bonus to be near the boardwalks, shops ets.

What part of Ocean City should I be looking at?

And besides Craigslist and VRBO.com, are there any other sites where I could find a rental?

Thanks!

I've only been during the off-season, but I think every hotel in ocean city is on the beach. Peek at the map. It's like a peninsula of sand with a strip of hotels on it. Most bigger hotels are situated where you can see the bay on one side and the ocean on the other. Most seem to have condos that you can rent. I've got one booked in March at the Carousel hotel. It has an ice rink in it. I'm going for a weekend dance festival. I was able to see pictures of the condos online. Some of the three bedroom condos have a sunroom that is pretty much another bedroom. The website tells you how many people each unit sleeps. I've also stayed in the penthouse at the Capri with a good sized group.

Both of the hotels I used were a bit kitchy and dated, but clean and served our needs. I don't know if all of Ocean City is this way, or just a few hotels. In your situation, I'd start checking websites of the hotels that are walking distance to the boardwalk and work from there. You may want to reserve now.

Here's a link to the Capri unit. It has five bedrooms. It was a moms weekend, so we used that bar you see in the pics. http://www.vrbo.com/59706

Edited by KungFuPanda

Must it be Ocean City or have you looked at Rehobeth Beach, DE which is just north of OC. Rehobeth is cleaner than OC, imho, and more family oriented plus it is an easy drive to OC if you want a change. Still, lots to do in Rehobeth! Great boardwalk, outlet shopping, good food etc.

I grew up in Delaware and spent a month in Ocean City every summer of my life. My family owned a condo in "The Pyramid"....95th St. and Ocean Highway. The "condo" section of town will probably have the larger units you are looking for. The "old" part of OC is on the boardwalk. It has a larger beach, but a younger, more partying crowd. Families stay in the newer "condo" row part of OC.

If you are looking for a house to rent, I would suggest Fenwick Island or Bethany Beach...both in Delaware and only minutes away from OC. It's a bit quieter there.

When you go to OC, be sure to visit one of the "Putt-Putt" miniature golf places. Lots of fun childhood memories for me there! And lots of fun for families.

Also, hit Julia's on 11th and Boardwalk for amazing cannolis and Italian ice. THE BEST!!

Kandy Kitchen for fudge and salt water taffy.

Enjoy!!

I guess the family is set on Ocean City. They want to be near the beach and the boardwalk. The less driving of cars, the better.

There are 10 of us. I have been looking around but I didn't know what part of OC I should be looking at so we can be near everything.

Thank you for all the input!

I guess the family is set on Ocean City. They want to be near the beach and the boardwalk. The less driving of cars, the better.

There are 10 of us. I have been looking around but I didn't know what part of OC I should be looking at so we can be near everything.

Thank you for all the input!

As a kid, I always thought of the rich side of OC as the one furthest away from the boardwalk and the boardwalk area as where all of the partying goes on.

So, generally we stay somewhere in the mid 60th street through the 80th streets. We can get down to the boardwalk easily enough. Throughout OC there are a wide variety of restaurants and shops. We generally go to the boardwalk one or two nights that we are there. The rest of the time we hangout on the beach and in and around our condo.

Enjoy your stay. It is a lot of fun. I wish we could go more frequently.

We've been there several times and absolutely loved it!

One of the highlights of our most recent trip (admittedly about 8 years ago) was the go-cart park, I don't recall what it's called but it's a BLAST!

We also enjoyed going to Seacrets (a nightclub) in terms of non-kid outings.

As some PPs have said, the "boardwalk" area of OC is more the party area. Teen hangout, parties, etc. The closer you get to the end of the boardwalk (down where the rides and arcades are) the louder it gets. LOL. You can find hotels on the boardwalk up near 15th street and beyond that will be far enough away from party central, but close enough to walk the boardwalk, kwim? There is one place on 15th street that I remember being a very classy hotel. Can't think of the name of it right now. Most of the condos/houses for rent are, as a PP said, up near 100th street and beyond OR more bayside than oceanside. We haven't been to OC in ages, but friends of ours go almost monthly :)