Menu

Anyone have a good rum (or other booze) dessert?

The thread on kids and these desserts had me :drool5: and wanting to make one to try.

I don't have time for the one that soaks for 3 months. :)

I'm not a terribly experienced dessert maker, so easy is good.

I'm already making bon-bons and cake balls, so maybe something that doesn't have to be hand rolled and dipped in chocolate. Though if it's REALLY good... I might try it anyway.

No allergy restrictions. I love coconut and chocolate and dates and.....almost anything. :) um... I mean the people I'm making it for love almost anything. Freudian slip. :)

Eggnog Cheesecake.

I made it up years ago and don't have the recipe handy, but basically substitute eggnog for the milk and add about a tsp of nutmeg and a few TBSP of rum or rum flavouring. I've played around with dusting snowflake patterns on top of the finished cheesecake with cocoa or cinnamon. It's yummy!

From Mark Bitman. This is an adult dessert. I could not believe the accolades I got for this one. I made it as a lark for a party and everyone raved. Again, not for children, not that they would eat it.

Recipe: Bourbon Apple Cake Time: About 1 hour, plus one hour's resting Time: About 1 hour, plus one hour's resting

2 sticks butter, softened, more for greasing pan

Flour (if using bundt pan)

2 medium apples (about 8 ounces), peeled, cored and quartered

2 1/2 cups sugar

4 eggs

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk

1 cup bourbon, Calvados, Cognac or brandy.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-by-13-inch rectangular pan with butter, or butter and flour a 9-inch bundt pan. Put apples in a blender or food processor and purée; remove and set aside.

2. In food processor, combine 1 1/2 cups butter (12 tablespoons) with 1 1/2 cups sugar and pulse until combined. With motor running, add eggs one at a time. Add apple purée and process until just combined.

3. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add about a third of flour mixture to apple mixture in food processor. Then, with motor running, add about half of milk; add another third of flour, followed by rest of milk, then finally last of the flour. Process until batter just evens out.

4. Turn batter into prepared pan and bake until middle is set (your fingers should leave only a small indentation when you gently press cake), 45 to 50 minutes. When done, cool in pan for about 10 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, combine 1 cup liquor in a small pot with remaining butter and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and liquid is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then pour over cake; let it sit for at least an hour before serving. (For bundt, let it sit for an hour, then unmold). Store at room temperature, covered with waxed paper, for up to 2 days.

Yield: About 12 servings.

Eggnog Cheesecake.

I made it up years ago and don't have the recipe handy, but basically substitute eggnog for the milk and add about a tsp of nutmeg and a few TBSP of rum or rum flavouring. I've played around with dusting snowflake patterns on top of the finished cheesecake with cocoa or cinnamon. It's yummy!

Ooooh....that sounds yummy. I like eggnog flavor, but not the thick texture. I've been using it as creamer in my coffee. :)

From Mark Bitman. This is an adult dessert. I could not believe the accolades I got for this one. I made it as a lark for a party and everyone raved. Again, not for children, not that they would eat it.

Recipe: Bourbon Apple Cake Time: .

This really sounds good, too. I wasn't kidding when I said I like almost anything. I've managed to keep me weight even through Halloween and Thanksgiving....but I'm going to enjoy Christmas.

Edited by snickelfritz

This cake really is glorious! I normally don't make recipes that use processed cake mixes and pudding, but this is worth the exception.

Rosemary and Orange Rum Cake with Glorious Glaze

1 (2-layer) package yellow cake mix

1 small package vanilla instant pudding mix

1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary

Grated zest of one orange

½ cup water

½ cup canola oil

½ cup light rum

4 eggs

1 cup chopped pecans

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, rosemary and orange zest in a food processor. Process until mixed. Add water, oil and rum; mix well. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in pecans. Pour into bundt pan sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until wooden pick comes out clean. Pour Glorious Glaze over cake in pan. Allow glaze to soak into pan completely before removing cake. Invert cake so that glazed top is facing up. Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.

Glorious Glaze

½ cup unsalted butter 1 cup sugar

¼ cup water ¼ cup rum

Bring butter, sugar, water and rum to a boil in saucepan. Boil until mixture reaches soft-ball stage or 235 degrees on candy thermometer.