Menu

Is it possible to cut a significant length of hair off myself?

I'm 6mths pregnant, and my hair is down to the middle of my back. For some reason, my hair is falling out. Not in clumps or anything, but enough that long hair is getting all over the house and it is *really* annoying (especially since my hair is usually thicker and doesn't fall out until after I've had my babies).

Anyway, yesterday I cut my own following a youtube video that I've used lots of times. It shows you how to cut your hair into layers by combing it into a ponytail on top of your head and then cutting the end off. I do this periodically so my hair isn't so flat (it's normally really thick and heavy) and been happy with the results. I cut off a ton of hair, but there is hardly any difference, and the overall length looks the same.

DH thinks I went overboard on the layers, and that I should just go into Perfect Look and get it cut. I want it to be shoulder-length, but I hate to spend the money on a professional cut (we've been low on money for awhile). We have plenty in the bank right now for the $12.50 I believe it costs, but I thought I'd check and see if it's even possible to do it myself. (I already asked DH if he would try and he said, "no way" :tongue_smilie:).

Or is this something I shouldn't even attempt on my own?

I cut my own hair and haven't been to a beauty parlor in ages. I tape a hand mirror to the bathroom door so I can see the back of my hair in the bathroom mirror. I cut it way to short the very first time but with practice have figured out how to get it right. So yes, it's possible to cut your own hair.

I recently cut my long hair into shoulder length myself. I sectioned the hair by thirds and dealt with the bottom layer first, top layer last. The bottom layer I separated at the nape of my neck into two sections bringing forward the right half to my right shoulder and left half to my left shoulder. I then carefully cut to the same desired length. I use an upwards tilt to the scissors, but you could easily just cut straight across. Repeat this with the middle layer, then top layer, cutting the subsequent layers to match the bottom layer. Is it professional? No, but I don't care and if you don't care either you can certainly do it yourself.

Of course it's possible to cut your own hair. Guarantees of good results are, however, not clear.

I cut my own hair sometimes. I get annoyed with hair dressers pretty easily. For example I got really mad when I was 2 wks from my due date and the hairdresser started cutting while on the phone, and gave me really ugly bangs. I have not been back to her!

Of course it's possible to cut your own hair. Guarantees of good results are, however, not clear.

I cut my own hair sometimes. I get annoyed with hair dressers pretty easily. For example I got really mad when I was 2 wks from my due date and the hairdresser started cutting while on the phone, and gave me really ugly bangs. I have not been back to her!

This is one reason why I cut my own hair. A hairdresser was on her cell phone one time and completely disregarded what I asked for. :glare:

Thankfully my hair is pixie short and I cut it myself with clippers and scissors.