Menu

Can people send text messages to a land-line?

An acquaintance from the Y, called me on my home phone (land line) earlier to invite me to her house this afternoon. She told me that she would text me her address. I didn't see any e-mails so after a couple of hours I e-mailed her to ask if she could send it. She was very surprised and said that she had texted it to me. But the only phone number she has is my land-line. If she tried to text something to it would it "let" her? Would it tell her that it's going no where?

I received a "text" message on the answering machine for our land line phone. It was from my daughter's Girl Scout leader about an event she was attending. The message announced that I'd received a text message from the GS leader's cell number and then a robotic voice relayed the text. I didn't even know it was possible to do that.

I received a "text" message on the answering machine for our land line phone. It was from my daughter's Girl Scout leader about an event she was attending. The message announced that I'd received a text message from the GS leader's cell number and then a robotic voice relayed the text. I didn't even know it was possible to do that.

I've had that happen before also. It told us the name of the person who owned the number as well.

My friend does this to me a few times a year.

I think it depends on your phone and the level of service you have.

I've received the robotic voice reading a text message from my sister a couple of times.

But when I have accidentally sent a text message from my cell phone to my home phone # (instead of my email address, where I send myself reminders all the time), I get an error message saying my service won't send a text to a land line.

BTW, I have Verizon pre-paid service and pay per text message. I think my sister has an "unlimited everything" plan for her smartphone through Sprint or AT&T.