Menu

How do three of my kids get pneumonia within 3weeks?

I feel for you!

About 12 years ago starting with my oldest ds every 2 weeks I ended up in the doctor's office getting yet another child diagnosed with pneumonia. Every time the doc would add, "but don't worry it's not the contagious kind". Ended up with everyone, including my dh (who never gets sick) and several children in oldest ds's class caught the exact same "non-contagious" pneumonia.

The doctor never could explain it.:tongue_smilie:

Hope everyone is well soon.

So sorry Stacy!

In February, both my boys and my dh all had pneumonia at the same time. It was awful! Zee even had to spend the night in the hospital.

I do NOT, EVER want to repeat that again! Spending the night in the hospital with the 8 year old, while dh and the youngest were at home, almost as sick.

Worst two weeks EVER.

'Walking pneumonia' is very contagious. Its going around right now. I had it for three months and didn't know.

It wasn't until my sister took her son to the doctor for his physical, she said that he just had a small cough and sniffles. That he was diagnosed with ' walking pneumonia' and sure enough he had it. She felt so bad. But before that she had the same 'cold' and then I caught it . Its going around.

When my older kids were young, they both had pneumonia at the same time. It was caused by a very contagious virus. Did your doctor tell you that your kids have a non-contagious type of pneumonia?

My kids weren't in the hospital, but I wish they had been because it was very scary. Their toes and fingers turned blue and they had to use their inhalers every two hours.

I hope your kids are well by Christmas!

Edited by LizzyBee

Yes, it can be contagious. Depending on what type of testing was done to diagnose, they may not be able to tell you whether it is or isn't. I had pneumonia in 2007 and when I expressed concern about my kids (my parents were visiting and I was actually sleeping with DD), he told me there was nothing to worry about, that it wasn't contagious. I gave it to her and to the boys. I had mycoplasma pneumonia. I was irritated, to say the least.

I hope your kids feel better for Christmas.

Pneumonia can be caused by bacteria or viruses (or even fungi). It sounds like they got the viral version.

:iagree:

The viral version should be treated like a cold in terms of how it is spread. Coughing, sneezing etc will transmit the virus.

Possum has pneumonia earlier in the year, it's no fun for anyone.

Yes, it can be contagious. Depending on what type of testing was done to diagnose, they may not be able to tell you whether it is or isn't. QUOTE]

My ds7 was diagnosed through xray, ds18months was the same. Our cnp was actually surprised my little guy had it because when she listened to his lungs they were clear. He has been coughing for over a week with a fever and vomiting. My dd4 pulse ox was 92 in the office today and when the cnp listened to her she hear crackling in her left lung. She didn't send her for an xray to diagnose she just started her on an antibotic. The cnp told us that the pneumonia wasn't contagious but the cold that started it is. :confused: