Menu

So if PSAT is so late

what do you do about your application. I guess you just put your scores. He'll be sending in the applications in August, so we won't have any idea whether he is commended or not, though I'm pretty sure he will be.

I do not understand your question - what kind of application are you talking about, college?

As far as I know, students apply for college in fall of Senior year.

And they take the PSAT for National Merit in fall of Junior year.

Not sure what you mean by "so late". There is a full year between the two events.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Edited by regentrude

I meant to put commended National Merit Scholar on his college application. Well at the Baylor info session, he strongly urged us to fill in the application as soon as it is posted online ( July, I think.) He said the something like 95 percent or higher that applied within the first couple of days ( and it was a high number) were accepted and a much smaller number were accepted later. He said it was partially because they had more time to work with those people to help them get what they needed. I guess you could just add it later. Really, unless he is a finalist, (which he won't be) I don't think it will matter. It might matter more for TCU.

I do not understand your question - what kind of application are you talking about, college?

As far as I know, students apply for college in Fall of Senior year.

And they take the PSAT for National Merit in Fall of Junior year.

Not sure what you mean by "so late". There is a full year between the two events.

Sorry if I misunderstand your question.

Commended and Semi-finalists are not announced until Sept of the senior year. Winners are not notified until March of the senior year. Thus the OPs thinking of so late.

I meant to put commended National Merit Scholar on his college application. Well at the Baylor info session, he strongly urged us to fill in the application as soon as it is posted online ( July, I think.) He said the something like 95 percent or higher that applied within the first couple of days ( and it was a high number) were accepted and a much smaller number were accepted later. He said it was partially because they had more time to work with those people to help them get what they needed. I guess you could just add it later. Really, unless he is a finalist, (which he won't be) I don't think it will matter. It might matter more for TCU.

Your question would be a good one to ask Baylor.

I meant to put commended National Merit Scholar on his college application.

Assuming he's competing against only other applicants who apply at the same time, they will all be in the same boat, and will only know their scores, not their Commended/NMSF status. Presumably, the college only cares about the score: consider two applicants, who are otherwise exactly identical, but from different states. One has a 200 PSAT, the other 201. If the student with the 200 happened to be a semifinalist, and the 201 wasn't, the school couldn't hold that against the higher-scoring student.

Since the "commended" numbers are the same, no matter what state you are in, it seems like you shouldn't need to put it down -- they will know everyone's PSAT scores, and what the "commended" range is.

So, I'd just put down the score, and not worry about it.

It was my impression, probably from information I got on these boards (it's where I learn everything :D), that you weren't supposed to put PSAT scores on a transcript, but you could put (on the transcript, perhaps; certainly on scholarship and college applications under "awards") your status -- commended, semifinalist, etc. This is confirmed at the College Board website (in the section for "professionals"-- which is us, as guidance counselors :001_smile:) :

PSAT/NMSQT scores are not for use by colleges as part of their admission criteria. Scores should not be included on student transcripts that will be reproduced and sent to colleges unless the student (age 18 or older) or parent/guardian has granted permission.

Of course, we're also the parents and can "grant permission," and those of us who generate our student's transcript can put whatever we want on it. I've seen several examples of "successful" homeschool transcripts that included actual numerical PSAT scores, instead of just, say, "National Merit Semifinalist," and apparently the colleges didn't have any problem with that. But from the paragraph quoted above, it would seem to be a rather uncommon practice at brick-and-mortar schools, and I would *guess* (don't know for sure) that colleges wouldn't expect to see PSAT scores, or even "pending" commended/semifinalist status, on transcripts submitted before the letters are sent out (September of senior year, according to this handy chart linked to today in the thread on the writing section).

OTOH, the scores certainly aren't "secret" -- I know students who have used PSAT scores to qualify for some summer camps between junior and senior year, for example -- well before commended and semifinalist letters are sent out. I'm not sure why the College Board says the scores aren't to be put on the transcript without permission ... perhaps because it really *is* seen as a "practice" test (and scholarship qualifier), and students should have the same control over their scores as they would with the regular SAT (i.e., you decide which scores to send to colleges)?

Edited by Laura in CA

Assuming he's competing against only other applicants who apply at the same time, they will all be in the same boat, and will only know their scores, not their Commended/NMSF status. Presumably, the college only cares about the score: consider two applicants, who are otherwise exactly identical, but from different states. One has a 200 PSAT, the other 201. If the student with the 200 happened to be a semifinalist, and the 201 wasn't, the school couldn't hold that against the higher-scoring student.

Yes, this is the part that doesn't seem "fair" about just using semifinalist status and not the actual numbers -- a score of, say, 210 would be semifinalist in a few states, but nowhere near semifinalist in other states ...

We put standardized test scores on our transcripts (ACT for both and PSAT for middle son - oldest didn't take it). I didn't put any awards or designations down on the transcript. Adcoms know the scores and understand them well when they see them.

I think it is GOOD for high scoring homeschoolers to put them on a transcript as the vast majority of colleges look at scores more for homeschoolers than for ps students.

I can understand collegeboard not wanting ps to put scores on there in general as many students don't necessarily do well and it could be a detriment. If I had a homeschooler who didn't test well (for whatever reason) I'd leave it off too.

I wouldn't worry at all about designations except in an "academic awards" section of an application.

Thanks. That makes complete sense. I really appreciate all of you helping me out since this is my first one. Your experience helps!!!!

We put standardized test scores on our transcripts (ACT for both and PSAT for middle son - oldest didn't take it). I didn't put any awards or designations down on the transcript. Adcoms know the scores and understand them well when they see them.

I think it is GOOD for high scoring homeschoolers to put them on a transcript as the vast majority of colleges look at scores more for homeschoolers than for ps students.

I can understand collegeboard not wanting ps to put scores on there in general as many students don't necessarily do well and it could be a detriment. If I had a homeschooler who didn't test well (for whatever reason) I'd leave it off too.

I wouldn't worry at all about designations except in an "academic awards" section of an application.

OK, this makes sense. It also doesn't penalize students from states with high cutoffs (although I'm sure adcoms are aware of that).

I can understand collegeboard not wanting ps to put scores on there in general as many students don't necessarily do well and it could be a detriment.

Yes, that was my hunch - thanks for clarifying. I am eager to put my son's PSAT scores on his transcript, and now I realize it's OK. :001_smile:

How should schools use PSAT/NMSQT scores and results?

PSAT/NMSQT score reports should be used to help students:

• Evaluate skill levels
  • Prepare for the SAT Reasoning Test
  • Compare their readiness for college-level work with that of their peers
  • Get information on their educational plans

PSAT/NMSQT scores are not for use by colleges as part of their admission criteria. Scores should not be included on student transcripts that will be reproduced and sent to colleges unless the student (age 18 or older) or parent/guardian has granted permission. Inform students of their right to withhold these scores from admission or athletic offices, even when requested.

I think that's nothing but a marketing strategy by the College Board to get kids to buy both tests (several times.)

That College Board link doesn't say why colleges shouldn't use PSAT scores. Nor does it mention the biggest reason for taking the PSAT, the National Merit Scholarship (except in the initials, NMSQT.) How does the College Board think colleges shouldn't use the PSAT scores and yet still offer National Merit Scholarships? How are students supposed to "get information on their educational plans" without colleges sending them info (which colleges do when they receive students' scores?)

The College Board has no jurisdiction over what schools include on their transcripts or over what information colleges can ask for. The school, the school board, possibly even the state, but not the College Board. Students do not have the "right to withhold these scores from admission or athletic offices" if it is the school's policy to include it on the transcript anymore than they have the "right" to withhold gym scores.

You can certainly include the PSAT score. And you can replace it with the SAT score if/when you want to.

I think that's nothing but a marketing strategy by the College Board to get kids to buy both tests (several times.)

That College Board link doesn't say why colleges shouldn't use PSAT scores. Nor does it mention the biggest reason for taking the PSAT, the National Merit Scholarship (except in the initials, NMSQT.) How does the College Board think colleges shouldn't use the PSAT scores and yet still offer National Merit Scholarships? How are students supposed to "get information on their educational plans" without colleges sending them info (which colleges do when they receive students' scores?)

The College Board has no jurisdiction over what schools include on their transcripts or over what information colleges can ask for. The school, the school board, possibly even the state, but not the College Board. Students do not have the "right to withhold these scores from admission or athletic offices" if it is the school's policy to include it on the transcript anymore than they have the "right" to withhold gym scores.

You can certainly include the PSAT score. And you can replace it with the SAT score if/when you want to.

PSAT/NMSQT scores are not for use by colleges as part of their admission criteria. Scores should not be included on student transcripts that will be reproduced and sent to colleges unless the student (age 18 or older) or parent/guardian has granted permission. Inform students of their right to withhold these scores from admission or athletic offices, even when requested.

All this says is that the school needs to obtain permission before placing the score on the transcript. It doesn't indicate it is a blanket rule not to include them, just that permission needs to be granted before doing so and that permission does not have to be given.