Menu

Sensory-seeking preschooler...

I know I've seen people post here about kids with sensory issues, but most of what I've seen has to do with varying forms of sensory avoidance. I was wondering if anybody has experience with the opposite.

I have on my hands a 3yo boy who is either somewhat sensory seeking or just an exceptionally rowdy little guy. Either way, I could use some suggestions. He's very disruptive and homeschooling with him around is pretty tough. He is always, ALWAYS climbing, jumping, rolling, falling, smashing things, knocking stuff over, bumping into people, pushing things, taking stuff apart, making insane amounts of noise...you get the idea.

He's a very sweet kid and none of this is malicious, or intentional misbehaviour. He just can't stop moving! He regularly accidentally hurts his older sister because he climbs all over her and can't play gently. He can't be anywhere near the baby without somebody right there, because he'll hurt her trying to play, or fall on her while doing something silly, or knock something over...

It's winter here, and this is Canada, so we don't get outside as much this time of year, although I try. It's hard with a baby.

So what the heck do I do? I was thinking of trying to put him in a high-energy activity a couple of mornings a week. Like skating, or swimming, or gymnastics. It would be a strain on our budget, but maybe it would be worth it? I could sit and actually teach my eldest while was doing them, maybe.

Other ideas? Start off the day with some kind of crazy intense exercise routine? Throw out all my furniture and turn the house into a jungle gym? I'm losing my mind here, guys! :tongue_smilie:

Heavy work activities. Pushing a child sized broom, swiffer, etc. Carrying things in a laundry basket or regular basket. A backpack with a few things in it (don't overdo the weight, obviously). Scrubbing tables, floors, etc. (obviously in a fun way) gives proprioceptive input through the joints. Pushing carts, pulling wagons. Would you consider a small indoor trampoline with handle?

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/heavy-work-activities.html

Have you read the Out of Sync Child has Fun or Sensational Kids?

eta: Rody Pony? Indoor swing/rings with mats underneath?

sensory-processing-disorder.com

there will be suggestions on how to meet your seeker's needs so he's not so disruptive.

also, Carol Kranowitz has a few books out so you can learn more about it, and suggestions on how to help.

eta: do consider food sensitivites/intolerances. some foods definitly have an affect. I have removed nitrates from my son's diet, and it reduced his aggressiveness.

indoor mini tramp is great, and you can lean it against the wall when not in use.

body bags give lots of proprioceptive input, as well as a compression/weighted vest.

there is a high pressure bar you can place in a door jam to hang a swing, trapieze bar/rings on, but I can't find the link.

Edited by gardenmom5

Thanks for the ideas so far! I have The Out of Sync Child and Sensational Kids in my to-read pile.

I do a lot of these types of things with him already, but it seems like it's never ENOUGH. I have to be keeping him engaged in heavy activity all the time, or he's back to creating havoc. I guess I'm wondering if there's some way to meet these needs that will actually help him settle down for a bit, so I can focus on teaching my older child with a little less disruption. Or am I dreaming here? LOL.

ETA: Oh, and we have a lot of food allergies here. He's seemed a bit better since we eliminated wheat, but I'm going to try ditching nitrates as well. My husband says he was sensitive to them as a kid!

Thanks for the ideas so far! I have The Out of Sync Child and Sensational Kids in my to-read pile.

I do a lot of these types of things with him already, but it seems like it's never ENOUGH. I have to be keeping him engaged in heavy activity all the time, or he's back to creating havoc. I guess I'm wondering if there's some way to meet these needs that will actually help him settle down for a bit, so I can focus on teaching my older child with a little less disruption. Or am I dreaming here? LOL.

ETA: Oh, and we have a lot of food allergies here. He's seemed a bit better since we eliminated wheat, but I'm going to try ditching nitrates as well. My husband says he was sensitive to them as a kid!

The Out-of-sync Child teaches about sensory issues, but The Out-of-sync Child Has Fun is a book full of sensory activities and ideas to address those sensory needs. :001_smile:

to go along with the wheat - you might want to consider gluten. it is in many items, as modified food starch. it is getting easier to find things GF.

Casein - milk protein

soy - similar protein chain to milk

yeast

are also very common culprets. maybe all, maybe one, maybe none. if your dh had wheat as a child - I'd go for gluten. remember, just a little bit can still cause problems and it can take months to completely be erradicated from the system.

So...how do you guys COPE? How do you balance everybody's needs?

I feel like my older child doesn't get enough individual attention because I hve to be so on top of my 3yo. Or when we're out, it's so difficult to be on top of him ENOUGH because I'm also holding a baby or pushing a stroller. And it's SO NOISY here ALL THE TIME. :lol:

How do people do this?

So...how do you guys COPE? How do you balance everybody's needs?

I feel like my older child doesn't get enough individual attention because I hve to be so on top of my 3yo. Or when we're out, it's so difficult to be on top of him ENOUGH because I'm also holding a baby or pushing a stroller. And it's SO NOISY here ALL THE TIME. :lol:

How do people do this?

When they get enough input, they "fill up" and don't need a ton for a few hours. Then you "fill them up" again. We used to do a SUPER sensory time in the morning, and then again in the afternoon, and she would be great for about four hours in between. Now when they are going crazy I can send them to do an activity, or run up and down the tiny street twice outside, etc. My parents bought us a DDR-type game with a kid mode for Christmas so they can stomp and jump and get some energy out that way, too. Mini-tramp. Swing. Swinging rings. Playing with shaving cream/sand/etc. They all help.

We have a mini-trampoline in the living room.

We do wheel-barrow trips throughout the house (where I hold her legs, and she walks on her hands - great for core and propioreceptive input).

We swing.

We spin in the office chair.

We roll her up in a blanket and make her a Pupa (occoon). We give her lots of squeezes while in there, then help her emerge from her cocoon.

Wall-push ups are great.

Shaving cream in the bath tub.

Beans or rice in a big plastic tub to touch and feel.

Crab walks or snake slithers across the floor.

The trick is to do these activities, but to follow-up or do "organizing" activities in between. (Something that requires coordination or fine motor or calming skills).

I have an avoider/seeker who is older, but we have found that compression shirts, like UnderArmour, help. One friend has a weighted vest and made herself a weighted blanket and she really likes it. Try a backpack with books, it weighs them down and helps "center" them and allows them to focus better on play. We also have a large exercise ball and he rolls around on that.

Your child may still be a little young but we love GUM! I would never allow my children to have it before, but my Sensory Child also has oral motor skills difficulty so they prescribed gum and it really helps him calm down. I give him a big wad and let him chew like a cow. It gives them the sensory input without a lot of physical activity.

Lastly, does he see an OT? They might know of an area (local public gym or college) where you could take him to play. My husband works on a college campus and we have access to an indoor football stadium we can take them to.

My 11yo DS was (and still is) a sensory-seeker. He sounds a lot like your son: loved to play rough, but didn't mean any harm by it. He was in school for short period of time a few months in 1st grade), and that's how we found out it wasn't just him "being a boy." He would hit himself in the head, chew on the collars of his shirts, and get too close to the other kids...he didn't mean any harm, he just had no concept of other people's boundaries.

Now, I can still see a couple of sensory-seeking behaviors in him, most of which are silly noises and stomping or shuffling his feet. His other behaviors have disappeared. We did do some of the activities in The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun when he was younger (the crash pad made out of pillows was great for him, and also making a "sandwich" out of couch cushions) just to ease some of the sensory seeking, but I never could find the time to make it a several times a day thing. If he was being extra hyper, we'd try the activities above, or I would have him push against the wall as hard as he could (as if he was doing a push-up against it), or do a wheelbarrow (I would hold his legs and he would walk around the room). These were recommended to us in his occupational therapy, because he also has poor muscle tone. We tried to avoid any jumping and running exercises because they seem to just rev him up more.

I only say all of this, because I know how difficult it is to drop everything and turn your home into an occupational therapy center :tongue_smilie:. Sometimes the books make it seem like that's what you have to do (and when you have other kids, it can be hard!). We just dealt with the issues as they came up, and as he has gotten older, he has grown out of the most of the noticeable behaviors. I took what I could from the books (we couldn't afford a lot of the sensory seeking toys, though I did get a couple of chew necklaces and bracelets for him so he'd quit putting holes in his shirts.)

I was just thinking about this yesterday, when I took all 3 kids to the library, and my youngest wanted to do crafts in a different building. I let my son stay with my older daughter in the library by themselves. Just a couple of years ago, I never would have thought I could do that. He would have been too disruptive. Now he's able to sit quietly and read.

Sorry this is so long....all of this to let you know that it *does* get better. :001_smile:

When they get enough input, they "fill up" and don't need a ton for a few hours. Then you "fill them up" again. We used to do a SUPER sensory time in the morning, and then again in the afternoon, and she would be great for about four hours in between. Now when they are going crazy I can send them to do an activity, or run up and down the tiny street twice outside, etc. My parents bought us a DDR-type game with a kid mode for Christmas so they can stomp and jump and get some energy out that way, too. Mini-tramp. Swing. Swinging rings. Playing with shaving cream/sand/etc. They all help.

Thank you! I'll get the other book and try to come up with a plan. This is kind of what I was hoping to hear...that if you meet those sensory needs enough, they can...I don't know...calm down for a little bit? It feels like I'm living with a (really cute) tornado.

We have a mini-trampoline in the living room.

We do wheel-barrow trips throughout the house (where I hold her legs, and she walks on her hands - great for core and propioreceptive input).

We swing.

We spin in the office chair.

We roll her up in a blanket and make her a Pupa (occoon). We give her lots of squeezes while in there, then help her emerge from her cocoon.

Wall-push ups are great.

Shaving cream in the bath tub.

Beans or rice in a big plastic tub to touch and feel.

Crab walks or snake slithers across the floor.

The trick is to do these activities, but to follow-up or do "organizing" activities in between. (Something that requires coordination or fine motor or calming skills).

I have an avoider/seeker who is older, but we have found that compression shirts, like UnderArmour, help. One friend has a weighted vest and made herself a weighted blanket and she really likes it. Try a backpack with books, it weighs them down and helps "center" them and allows them to focus better on play. We also have a large exercise ball and he rolls around on that.

Your child may still be a little young but we love GUM! I would never allow my children to have it before, but my Sensory Child also has oral motor skills difficulty so they prescribed gum and it really helps him calm down. I give him a big wad and let him chew like a cow. It gives them the sensory input without a lot of physical activity.

Lastly, does he see an OT? They might know of an area (local public gym or college) where you could take him to play. My husband works on a college campus and we have access to an indoor football stadium we can take them to.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

My 11yo DS was (and still is) a sensory-seeker. He sounds a lot like your son: loved to play rough, but didn't mean any harm by it. He was in school for short period of time a few months in 1st grade), and that's how we found out it wasn't just him "being a boy." He would hit himself in the head, chew on the collars of his shirts, and get too close to the other kids...he didn't mean any harm, he just had no concept of other people's boundaries.

Now, I can still see a couple of sensory-seeking behaviors in him, most of which are silly noises and stomping or shuffling his feet. His other behaviors have disappeared. We did do some of the activities in The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun when he was younger (the crash pad made out of pillows was great for him, and also making a "sandwich" out of couch cushions) just to ease some of the sensory seeking, but I never could find the time to make it a several times a day thing. If he was being extra hyper, we'd try the activities above, or I would have him push against the wall as hard as he could (as if he was doing a push-up against it), or do a wheelbarrow (I would hold his legs and he would walk around the room). These were recommended to us in his occupational therapy, because he also has poor muscle tone. We tried to avoid any jumping and running exercises because they seem to just rev him up more.

I only say all of this, because I know how difficult it is to drop everything and turn your home into an occupational therapy center :tongue_smilie:. Sometimes the books make it seem like that's what you have to do (and when you have other kids, it can be hard!). We just dealt with the issues as they came up, and as he has gotten older, he has grown out of the most of the noticeable behaviors. I took what I could from the books (we couldn't afford a lot of the sensory seeking toys, though I did get a couple of chew necklaces and bracelets for him so he'd quit putting holes in his shirts.)

I was just thinking about this yesterday, when I took all 3 kids to the library, and my youngest wanted to do crafts in a different building. I let my son stay with my older daughter in the library by themselves. Just a couple of years ago, I never would have thought I could do that. He would have been too disruptive. Now he's able to sit quietly and read.

Sorry this is so long....all of this to let you know that it *does* get better. :001_smile:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate hearing your story. That sounds a LOT like my son, and it's nice to hear that it will improve over time.

The hardest part is having to split my attention all the time. Sure, I can do endless activities with him, but I have two other kids! :tongue_smilie:

If you can swing it financially, swimming is excellent for sensory seeking kiddos. As you can imagine, it gives them all kinds of stimulation and feedback, and exhausts them, too. Our local rec center has good lessons for about $75 for 8 lessons, plus a free swim period. You do not have to be in the water with him. You could probably get at least a little time while he's in the lesson to work with your oldest--maybe see if your littlest will play on a mat or in the stroller for half an hour.