Menu

Anyone homeschool b/c there are no schools nearby?

I don't but I know that one area we lived in while homeschooling- Northern CA- did have online or distance school set up in the county next to us because it was such a long bus ride for many kids. Many people moved to homeschooling either through the system or independently. This was an area that measured snow fall in feet, not inches and the snow could come at any month- high Sierras.

Kind of. When we lived in China the choice was a very traditional Chinese school (classes of fifty or sixty, corporal punishment, discipline through humiliation, no control of bullying) or a missionary school with a poor academic record and a bad attitude to non-missionary pupils. So you could say there was 'no school'.

Laura

We just recently met someone who this was one factor. Her husband travels the country for work (anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months in one spot) so I think that there primary reason for homeschooling is simply so they can be with him but she did talk about the extreme distances they would have to travel if their kids went to school in their home state (South Dakota). She said most families end up renting a place in town during the week so kids can go to school and then come home on the weekends. even though I grew up rural, I truly can't comprehend the level of ruralness she described about her home.

I know two families who homeschooled for this reason.

One successfully home schooled. The kids were home schooled in a simple manner k-8/9th grade. They lived a mile hike off the road, and had no running water or electricity. The kids grew up happy and healthy. The parents did move into town when the kids were in high school so they could 'socialize'. They were a very, very isolated family and the parents realized that the kids needed more opportunities to be around people before college.

One was a very negative experience for the children. The mothers heart was in the right place, but her style of homeschooling did not result in a happy home. Since there wasn't another feasible option, the kids suffered.

I have a friend who does -- there IS a school, but it requires over an hour bus ride (maybe close to two?) into town, when the roads are clear enough for the bus (in AK, so this apparently is a fairly big if sometimes). So virtual schools and homeschool is more the standard in her spread-out community.