Menu

If you have an exercise bike, you can get fit in 2 minutes a day

I have to share this. I read this idea on a fitness board.

You get on your exercise bike, and you tighten down the tension as tight as you can to where you can barely move it. Then you peddle as fast as you can for 20 seconds. Then you rest for ten seconds. Repeat for 4 minutes. Google the name Tabata or high intensity interval training for more info.

Well, when I tried this, I nearly died by the two minute mark. So I stopped there. That's just 4 reps. I've been doing that for maybe four months. I probably could go for four minutes now, but what's the point? For an old lady, I have a ton of muscles in my legs all of a sudden!

I can easily do a squat. :lol: Yeah, I know that's not very big news for somebody who's in to fitness. But I'm NOT in to fitness. It's amazing to me that I can easily do a squat -- AND get back up! :lol:

If you don't have a bike, you can use some other exercise. But it's so easy to do on the bike. Don't get me wrong, that last 20 seconds is like dying; but after labor, can't we put up with anything for two minutes a day?

I've lost 27 lbs and my cholesterol is down 30 or so points. (I'm not attributing that ALL to the bike, but it is certainly a factor. The other factor is small, frequent meals -- this is the magic bullet for me. Seriously. If you haven't tried it, well, try it.)

So, there's my holiday fitness tip. :)

Edited by Cindyg

Ok, no. Just no. Tabata workouts are not 4 minutes. They are 4 minutes per exercise, usually 6-8 different exercises. They are incredibly intense - I've actually made myself sick... It was kind of cool :tongue_smilie: - but not a couple of minutes total.

I know this is being perpetuated in several areas, but HIIT of any kind only works by alternating intensity over a normal workout period.

Ok, no. Just no. Tabata workouts are not 4 minutes. They are 4 minutes per exercise, usually 6-8 different exercises. They are incredibly intense - I've actually made myself sick... It was kind of cool :tongue_smilie: - but not a couple of minutes total.

I know this is being perpetuated in several areas, but HIIT of any kind only works by alternating intensity over a normal workout period.

I'm tellin' ya, I've been doing just TWO minutes, and the difference is incredible. My legs feel *strong*. I can feel it all day long as I move. I can SEE visible muscles in the mirror.

I'm doing it just TWO minutes -- not even enough to count as a Tabata workout!

You are resistance training a single muscle group on a daily basis and have created tone in those muscles. That is not fitness.

You actually can create cardiovascular fitness this way, but generally you want to do it for a bit longer. What I've researched (and this is not muscle magazines, it is scientists) is a warm up for a few minutes, say 4, then doing intervals for 4 minutes, then cooling down, say another 4 minutes. 12 minutes.

There actually is a lot of info out there on HIIT, it is proven to be the fastest best way to increase cardiovascular fitness. Basically, sprint rather than jog. You should warm up first though.

I am not disputing that. I am disputing that "fitness" can be had in 2 minutes a day. It cannot. HIIT works by alternating between aerobic and anaerobic activity. It builds efficiency and endurance. (btw, you don't sprint instead of jog, you alternate short bursts of sprinting with regular jogging.)

You also can improve muscle tone by causing contraction with electric current. You cannot achieve fitness with those absurd electrocution abs belts. Fitness requires work. I mean that in the literal, not snarky, sense. Muscles (including the heart) become fit through doing work.

You actually can create cardiovascular fitness this way, but generally you want to do it for a bit longer. What I've researched (and this is not muscle magazines, it is scientists) is a warm up for a few minutes, say 4, then doing intervals for 4 minutes, then cooling down, say another 4 minutes. 12 minutes.

Yes, you probably can, if that 12 minutes is normally used for sitting on the couch.

It's relative. If you are completely sedentary, 30 minutes of moderate walking 3 times a week is a fitness gain. It's not enough to achieve fitness; it just makes you relatively less unfit. I don't consider myself super fit, and 12 minutes a day (even a daily Tabata workout for 30 minutes) would not maintain my fitness level, let alone improve it.

You'll have to forgive me. I have grown weary of hearing people go on about whatever new "magic" secret thing is going to drop weight/improve health/increase fitness without doing anything differently than one currently does in their overweight/unhealthy/unfit life, other than pop a pill/strap on an electrocution device/do 2 minutes of work/whatever. If people want to see change, they need to make changes.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I'm tellin' you what I'm tellin' you. :)

There are a lot of ladies on this board who might be willing to incorporate a quick, small change if it will impact their fitness. I stumbled across this one, and I'm sharing it.

While I have not monitored my heart beat, I do believe that the two minutes of exercise leaves my heart beat elevated for the full 20 minutes required to count as aerobics. That's my guess as to why it works. In other words, I think I'm getting 20 minutes worth of credit for 2 minutes worth of work.

ETA: MyCrazyHouse, I understand your skepticism, but I'm not selling anything. I'm just sharing.

ETA2: MyCrazyHouse, the fitness improvement I've gotten from this is far more than I've ever gotten from walking 30 mins 3xs a week. Not that I'm knocking that. That's much better than nothing. I just think that what I'm describing is a lot more significant than that.

Edited by Cindyg

Yes, you probably can, if that 12 minutes is normally used for sitting on the couch.

It's relative. If you are completely sedentary, 30 minutes of moderate walking 3 times a week is a fitness gain. It is not enough to make great health gains, though. I don't consider myself super fit, and 12 minutes a day (even a daily Tabata workout for 30 minutes) would not maintain my fitness level, let alone improve it.

You'll have to forgive me. I have grown weary of hearing people go on about whatever new "magic" secret thing is going to drop weight/improve health/increase fitness without doing anything differently than one currently does in their overweight/unhealthy/unfit life, other than pop a pill/strap on an electrocution device/do 2 minutes of work/whatever. If people want to see change, they need to make changes.

Well, the OP did say this was a tip for sedentary people. And I have read many articles about how the 4 minutes of HIIT, with warm up and cool down, can greatly increase cardiovascular fitness. And that will keep increasing as your "spring" level increases. I forget the terminology, but it had to do with them actually measuring your usage of oxygen I believe.

Well, the OP did say this was a tip for sedentary people. And I have read many articles about how the 4 minutes of HIIT, with warm up and cool down, can greatly increase cardiovascular fitness. And that will keep increasing as your "spring" level increases. I forget the terminology, but it had to do with them actually measuring your usage of oxygen I believe.

VO2 max? Greatly increase as compared to what? Do you have sources? I am genuinely interested (no snark) in reading the studies. Everything I've read has HIIT as "performance" enhancement, not general (and not sedentary) fitness.

I would also suggest that an intensity that keeps you from recovering a normal heart rate for 10 times longer than you exercise is probably categorically unsafe for sedentary people.

I would also suggest that an intensity that keeps you from recovering a normal heart rate for 10 times longer than you exercise is probably categorically unsafe for sedentary people.

One's heart rate can be increased without being in any danger zone. In fact, I'm sure I've read that one of the advantages of aerobic exercise is that your heart rate is slightly elevated for *hours* after a good workout.

I have an idea. Do you have an exercise bike? Try this for a week. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure I wouldn't see the strength gains you've experienced. I lift heavy, lift for endurance and do several hours of cardio at various pacing during the week. I'm a personal trainer and work out with clients, I teach and practice classes, and I have my own workout time.

Delayed heart rate recovery after excercise is actually an individual predictor of cardiovascular disease. Your metabolism remains higher after exercise; your heart rate should recover within a few minutes.

I'm sure I wouldn't see the strength gains you've experienced. I lift heavy, lift for endurance and do several hours of cardio at various pacing during the week. I'm a personal trainer and work out with clients, I teach and practice classes, and I have my own workout time.

You know, given how hard you work to stay fit, I can see how my original post ticked you off a little bit. That wasn't my intention. :grouphug:

It's more that I see people all day who want the "magic bullet" without making actual changes in their life. I don't work all that hard, and I don't think - in the general scheme of things - I'm all that fit. It's mostly job and play. I do spend a good deal of time in cardio mode during the week, though.

I've also seen changes in quads definition from biking to work. It's from using them a different way than the standard squats. But I've not seen any indicators of cardiovascular gain from my mile there and 2.5 back (I take the "long way" home). Still not running any marathons. of course... Actually doing marathon training would help there, wouldn't it? I guess that would be an example of making change to see change. If I actually wanted to run a marathon, I'd have to train for that. I don't, so that's not really part of my training plan. But I don't expect to have that ability without training.

Delayed heart rate recovery after excercise is actually an individual predictor of cardiovascular disease. Your metabolism remains higher after exercise; your heart rate should recover within a few minutes.

And you're right, I was confusing elevated heart rate with elevated metabolism.

I'm certainly not training for a marathon either. I'm sure I'm nowhere near as fit as you are! But my mom hadn't seen me since July; she was here for Thanksgiving, and she noticed a huge difference. Last Christmas I bought size 16 jeans. This month I bought the same brand, size 10. So, something has happened.

It's more that I see people all day who want the "magic bullet" without making actual changes in their life. I don't work all that hard, and I don't think - in the general scheme of things - I'm all that fit. It's mostly job and play. I do spend a good deal of time in cardio mode during the week, though.

I've also seen changes in quads definition from biking to work. It's from using them a different way than the standard squats. But I've not seen any indicators of cardiovascular gain from my mile there and 2.5 back (I take the "long way" home). Still not running any marathons. of course... Actually doing marathon training would help there, wouldn't it? I guess that would be an example of making change to see change. If I actually wanted to run a marathon, I'd have to train for that. I don't, so that's not really part of my training plan. But I don't expect to have that ability without training.

Dont' you think that something like this will get them motivated to START and then perhaps continue and add more? Good gravy...encourage the woman and give her a pat on the back for making a step towards fitness, albeit small in your eyes. Once you start and see progress, you can't help but add a little more here and there. One thing the keeps people from starting fitness routines is the time commitment...but this post from the OP encourages and quick and easy start, quick results that are visible, and that my friend, is going to get moms moving and working and quite possibly add enough to meet your strict requirements to count as anything. If you keep it up, those of us that are encouraged by this will say nevermind...guess I can't start. Like me. I'm ill..I have newly been diagnosed with autoimmune diseases. Exercise is key, but I'm say freakin' tired. THIS was something I can do...I was encouraged that I could get started in this way. YOU, the personal trainer, have made me shy away again. What have you gained from your posts beyond making moms stay put and off that bike for 2 minutes that they other wise wouldn't have been on one.

And you're right, I was confusing elevated heart rate with elevated metabolism.

I'm certainly not training for a marathon either. I'm sure I'm nowhere near as fit as you are! But my mom hadn't seen me since July; she was here for Thanksgiving, and she noticed a huge difference. Last Christmas I bought size 16 jeans. This month I bought the same brand, size 10. So, something has happened.

I'm SO SO happy for you! Your post was very encouraging. Ignore anyone who is telling you what you are doing isn't enough, or isn't being fit. You are working toward a goal and you are making progress to be proud of. Keep it up! Great job! You made me feel like I can do the same, even though the health issues I am facing. That, my friend, is my long term health you just helped improved.