Menu

Dr. Hive...walnut allergy

We had a snack about 15-20 min ago of walnuts, sunflower seeds, and raisins. Walnuts are the only one of those that we don't eat on a regular basis, although he has eaten them several times before. I noticed his face was red/irritated around his mouth right away. Now, the red is gone but his upper lip is swollen.

First, should I panic? He seems FINE otherwise. Second, does this sound like an allergic reaction? We eat peanut butter very often and he has had walnuts before.

No, don't panic.

Yes, it sounds like an allergic reaction.

Don't feed him *any* of those foods until he has visited an allergist and been tested. It's likely the walnuts, or possibly the walnuts or other foods are cross-contaminated with something else, but with food allergies it's better to play very safe until you're certain what's causing the reaction.

Do give him Benadryl.

Do call his pediatrician now. They will probably want to see you right away. (Ours got us in within two hours after my ds had a very similar reaction to peanuts.)

Do watch carefully for a few hours. Sometimes there can be a secondary reaction.

:grouphug:

Cat

Glad you're calling.

Peanuts aren't tree nuts. They're a legume. So the fact that he eats them without problem doesn't mean he doesn't have a nut allergy. (It's also entirely possible to be allergic to *one* kind of tree nut and not another -- though generally if anyone has a dangerous tree nut allergy, they are told to avoid all tree nuts.) Having eaten something in the past without obvious incident is also not a guarantee that one won't have a reaction in the future. Adults develop life threatening allergies without previous history.

Definitely get him tested -- and stay away from all nuts until you can clear it with an allergist.

:grouphug: Do stay away from all nuts for now. Read labels and stay away from foods with "may contain" for tree nuts too. You'll want allergy testing for all the tree nuts. My son's first nut reaction wasn't actually to the nut he consumed--it was contaminated with another nut. If his pediatrician is willing to call in a prescription for a couple of epi pens while waiting for the allergist appointment that would be a good thing. They are expensive but I'd say chances are very good you've got a tree nut allergy and so you need them imo.

Well, the nurse didn't think he needed to be seen. She said to give him some Benadryl for now, and they will give him a referral to an allergist. I'm off to the store because we have no Benadryl on hand. I guess we will from now on. Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't be satisfied with that. You need an epi prescription. The next reaction could be life threatening. And, this reaction could still go bi-phasic.

I'd call back and be insistent.:)

I wouldn't be satisfied with that. You need an epi prescription. The next reaction could be life threatening. And, this reaction could still go bi-phasic.

This is absolutely true. Ds went from hives on his face to an anaphylactic reaction with one subsequent exposure. We should absolutely have been prescribed an Epi-Pen and taught how to use it after the first incident.

I'm just seeing this. Definitely call back and get a prescription for the epi-pen. You may never use it. But, better safe than sorry in this instance.

We were just in the ER twice last week due to something my ds ate. Epi saved his life. His allergist wanted to see him ASAP to go over his allergy action plan with me again. Just to make sure. (And to schedule another testing date.)

:grouphug:

Yes, this. Nut allergies can be very serious.

Actually, I'd just call and make an appointment with your pediatrician. Bypass the call-back nurse entirely, have your child seen, and let the ped know in person you want an epi-pen prescription and a protocol for you to follow if you ever see allergy symptoms again. I am SO grateful to my pediatrician for sending me out with a detailed list of what to do and what to watch for. I knew exactly how to handle it when my ds had a much more severe reaction to cashews than he'd had to peanuts.

Cat

Also, it is much less likely for a tree nut allergy to be truly dangerous (compared to a peanut allergy), even if you are really sensitive to it. My husband is allergic to all tree nuts. If even the faintest trace of nut oil comes in contact with his tongue (a nut-free product made on the same equipment as tree nuts, for example), he can tell - yet it's still not particularly dangerous, even if he accidentally ingests quite a bit. It can be super uncomfortable and it LOOKS bad, but it's not like what you hear about with peanut allergies, at least not with the same frequency. That is why some schools allow almond butter instead of peanut butter, because nut allergies rarely require the same amount of caution as peanut allergies.

Also if he is allergic, be aware that nuts and nut butters/flours can be found in unexpected places, especially higher-end foods where nuts are often used to to bring a richer taste and texture of foods like sausages, salsas, hummus, sauces, panini bread, etc. You'd be surprised where nuts end up hiding.

Edited by zenjenn

...yet it's still not particularly dangerous, even if he accidentally ingests quite a bit. It can be super uncomfortable and it LOOKS bad, but it's not like what you hear about with peanut allergies, at least not with the same frequency...

The frequency may be lower among the general population, but it's not true that tree nut allergies are "less serious". If one has a life-threatening walnut or almond or hazelnut, etc, allergy, it's a life-threatening allergy. It can cause suffocation just as sure as a peanut allergy can. There are people with mild and severe forms of tree nut allergies just as there are people with mild and severe forms of peanut allergies. And it's true of many other foods too -- someone could have a very mild dairy allergy or a life-threatening one -- but it doesn't matter to the individual whether his form of allergy is slightly less common among the general population.

Make no mistake, tree nut allergies can kill. We have good medications that can save people when administered in time, but it's not true that "tree nut allergies simply make people uncomfortable". It's true for some people with tree nut allergies.

It's also true that reactions can become more severe. Someone can have a tingling tongue with one exposure and full-on anaphylaxis with the next (or not).

Also, it is much less likely for a tree nut allergy to be truly dangerous (compared to a peanut allergy), even if you are really sensitive to it. My husband is allergic to all tree nuts. If even the faintest trace of nut oil comes in contact with his tongue (a nut-free product made on the same equipment as tree nuts, for example), he can tell - yet it's still not particularly dangerous, even if he accidentally ingests quite a bit. It can be super uncomfortable and it LOOKS bad, but it's not like what you hear about with peanut allergies, at least not with the same frequency. That is why some schools allow almond butter instead of peanut butter, because nut allergies rarely require the same amount of caution as peanut allergies.

Also if he is allergic, be aware that nuts and nut butters/flours can be found in unexpected places, especially higher-end foods where nuts are often used to to bring a richer taste and texture of foods like sausages, salsas, hummus, sauces, panini bread, etc. You'd be surprised where nuts end up hiding.

I think you're confused? Tree nut allergy is just as life threatening as a peanut allergy (in fact, anaphylaxis to some nuts like cashew tends to do blood pressure drops which is more deadly fast). Anaphylaxis is anaphylaxis. Peanut allergy and anaphylaxis is more common than tree nut anaphylaxis in the general population. Maybe that's why you're confused? But tree nut anaphylaxis no less deadly than anaphylaxis to peanuts, latex, shell fish or anything else.

A child could have a dairy allergy and another child dairy anaphylaxis. Similarly a child could have a peanut allergy and not peanut anaphylaxis as it appears your husband has a tree nut allergy but not anaphylaxis?

I don't know. But tree nut anaphylactic allergies are no less deadly than peanut. My son has had anaphylactic reactions (including one biphasic) to tree nuts. My dad is anaphylactic to aspirin and a spice. My husband has had an anaphylactic reaction to buckwheat of all things! None of them are less serious than any other.

Also, it is much less likely for a tree nut allergy to be truly dangerous (compared to a peanut allergy),

I think you're confused? Tree nut allergy is just as life threatening as a peanut allergy

I agree with sbgrace. My 22yo dd has a tree nut allergy. She has an anaphylactic reaction to walnuts and pecans. It's just the same as any other severe food allergy.

I am Supermommy and nuts are my Kryptonite!!

Seriously, I'm allergic to all nuts, but walnuts are particularly deadly for me. All I have to do is walk into a room with an open bag of walnuts and I'll react - watery eyes, sneezing, then an asthma attack. A tiny amount in my mouth causes instant tongue swelling to the point I cannot speak.

Allergies should always be taken seriously. They can develop at any age and to things that have previously caused no reaction.