Menu

Character Curriculum

4Kiddos

We really got into all of the Little House books and -- over time -- I realized it was just natural to ask my boys, "what would Pa do in this situation?"

Or, "what would Mary and Laura do?"

We haven't read the Little House books in almost two years and we still reference those people!!!

Alley

There was a nice series of character studies on the Confessions of a Homeschooler blog recently. There are 10 studies on her site, each designed to last about 4 days. The format is such that it wouldn't be too hard to create your own after taking a look at how they're structured.

I just learned about (and purchased :lol:) We Choose Virtues flash cards. The front of the card has a character and the name of the virtue. The back has a little catch phrase to teach kids what the virtue means.) For example, Attentive says "I watch and listen carefully"; Gentle says, "I speak quietly and touch softly", etc.) They also have a little phrase that says what the virtue does NOT mean. (For example, Diligent says, "I am NOT slow to get started or lazy, and I don't quit early.")

I guess they come with ideas for games to play with them, but I also plan to have a sort of virtue of the week. I'll post that virtue's flash card on our morning board (which includes the calendar, weather, hundred chart, etc.) We'll work on memorizing the little catch phrase. During the week, I'll try to catch dd practicing the virtue :thumbup1:, or I'll point out opportunities for its use :glare: .

Bonus: These cards are available as "faith-based" cards with Bible verses OR in a secular form without them. It's hard to find non-religious character training materials, so I really appreciate that.

I just learned about (and purchased :lol:) We Choose Virtues flash cards. The front of the card has a character and the name of the virtue. The back has a little catch phrase to teach kids what the virtue means.) For example, Attentive says "I watch and listen carefully"; Gentle says, "I speak quietly and touch softly", etc.) They also have a little phrase that says what the virtue does NOT mean. (For example, Diligent says, "I am NOT slow to get started or lazy, and I don't quit early.")

I guess they come with ideas for games to play with them, but I also plan to have a sort of virtue of the week. I'll post that virtue's flash card on our morning board (which includes the calendar, weather, hundred chart, etc.) We'll work on memorizing the little catch phrase. During the week, I'll try to catch dd practicing the virtue :thumbup1:, or I'll point out opportunities for its use :glare: .

Bonus: These cards are available as "faith-based" cards with Bible verses OR in a secular form without them. It's hard to find non-religious character training materials, so I really appreciate that.

Yes. these are very good. :)

I really love Kids of Integrity by Focus on the Family, but I would only recommend it for younger kids.

Have you seen The Book of Virtues Project by Shiver's Academy? It's 900+ pages for free download including printables and notebooking based on William Bennett's book.

Both of these resources are free.

Wow! Thanks! I have the Book of Virtues and will look into both of these. Thank you! Free is always wonderful!:D

Thank you I will look into them.

I'm planning to use a curriculum called Character First where the kids memorize a short definition and 5 keys for each trait. There is an animal that goes with it so it brings in nature study and it also has one person from history that displayed that character quality. Unfortunately it is not Christian per se, but it is based on IBLP's Achieving True Success. IBLP has other character books which have the same character qualities but add in Scripture and a Bible character, so I will pull from that book to round it out Biblically. The kids can collect cards with the animal on it and there is a DVD and a CD you can use too. I learned about it from another Christian homeschool mom who blogs......

stm4him