Menu

Suggestions for a church to visit in San Antonio?

We're planning a fun weekend in San Antonio to stroll the Riverwalk, check out some missions, soak in the Christmas spirit and just generally bask in each other's company. Ahhh, can't wait! We would like to find a nice church to visit on Sunday morning. We go to a pretty small, very traditional church but love to try something very different when we travel. Any suggestions?

I also wouldn't turn down any suggestions for San Antonio must-dos!

Thanks!

We're planning a fun weekend in San Antonio to stroll the Riverwalk, check out some missions, soak in the Christmas spirit and just generally bask in each other's company. Ahhh, can't wait! We would like to find a nice church to visit on Sunday morning. We go to a pretty small, very traditional church but love to try something very different when we travel. Any suggestions?

I also wouldn't turn down any suggestions for San Antonio must-dos!

Thanks!

If you like Very Traditional, there's always Atonement, which is what they call Nosebleed-High. :D

We go to a pretty small, very traditional church but love to try something very different when we travel. Any suggestions?

If you've never been to an Eastern Orthodox Christian church, there are three choices: St. Ephraim's (Antiochian), St. Anthony's (OCA) and St. Sophia's (Greek). The Divine Liturgy will be the same at all three, and I'm sure you'd be warmly welcomed at each, but you will find cultural and musical differentiations between them. If you are interested and would like more help navigating which would meet your desires best, please feel free to PM me. There's a helpful article here for people who have never attended an Orthodox service before (what to expect). We are Orthodox and love the worship in the Orthodox church; unlike anything we'd ever experienced before.

Have a lovely visit to San Antonio!

I've been here for the Latin Mass. As far as I know, it's the only place in SA that has the Latin Mass.

St. Pius X Catholic Church (diocesan, not affiliated with the SSPX) is the only parish in San Antonio that offers the Traditional Latin Mass according to the 1962 Missal. OL Atonement has a Latin Mass, but it's the Paul VI (a/k/a "Novus Ordo") Mass, but said in Latin rather than in the vernacular.

If I went to OL Atonement (and I would except I never seem to be in SA on a Sunday), I'd be going to one of the Anglican Use Masses. It would be so awesome, and they're very scarce.

Atonement has a lovely weekday Mass during the school year with a beautiful school choir - so even if you are not there on Sundays you can get a chance to appreciate this beautiful liturgy on a weekday. Visitors are welcome.

On the other hand, you can go hear mariachi music at several Catholic churches downtown and at Mission San Jose - I think. I would call ahead to check on the times.

Sorry, I only have info on Catholic stuff.

We live in Houston a few hours away but we have friends in San Antonio and when we visit we attend their church. We go to a very small traditional conservative church in Houston but love visiting their big church with the big worship band. Music is great and the message is biblically sound. It's very different than what we're used to but we really look forward to it. I'm attaching a link.

http://www.communitybible.com/