Menu

ICK!!!!! My Christmas tree is infested with some kind of bug!!!

KristenR

:ack2:

Its some very very tiny black beetle looking bug. I can't actually see them on the tree but they are all over the floor. Slow moving. Don't seem to fly. Anyone ever hear of this? Can I safely spray the tree with something???

I'm so grossed out right now. :glare:

And another vote in my book for a fake tree! Ack!

I found this link: Debug Your Christmas Tree

Basically it says that nothing harmful is going to come in on your Christmas tree. Most bug require humidity to live, and there isn't much in the air at this time of year, so they should all "dessicate" within a few days, and they won't have food either, so they won't live long.

They say DO NOT spray aerosol bug sprays because those are flammable. If they are creeping you out, vacuum the little critters.

We had this happen one year. It was soo gross. I feel you. We ended up throwing the tree outside. The farm where we got it refunded our money, but we were out a tree for Christmas. The bugs won't hurt you.....but they sure are gross. From what I remember, as the tree dries out the bugs die (they live off the sap). But yeah. No fun at all. And why I'll never have another real tree in my house again :-(

Imagine Christmas morning, eight children still opening gifts, all the aunts and uncles and grandparents from Florida enjoying the holiday in the NC mountains with their fresh cut tree from the tree farm decorated with homemade ornaments. Then the discovery of little bugs falling on the little girls and the swarms of aphids crawling up and down the trunk of the tree.

We laugh at how we threw that tree out the sliding glass door down the hillside below on Christmas morning, but everyone was very creeped out! We have since moved to NC and I can not bring myself to buy a real tree here. I keep hoping that we will find a tree lot that gets their trees from states further north, but I keep hearing that most of the nation's trees come from NC.