Menu

Anyone know what it would take to get a guest worker permit in Germany?

I am totally ignorant and don't know anywhere else to ask. Ds 19 has the opportunity to go to Germany but would be interested in working while there if it's possible. However, none of us knows how to go about applying for a guest work permit/Visa. Dh is learning German, but won't be fluent when he gets there. Anyone know anything about working in Germany?

My son traveled through Europe when he was 19. He wanted to spend the winter months working in Germany. We looked and applied at lots of non-profit organizations that took volunteers. Once he was accepted by an organization, they handled the necessary work-visa for him. I think that's the trick -- you first need to get an organization to officially hire you, even if it's just volunteer work. Then, they usually arrange for the visa for you.

The church plant people should be able to figure it out. Or work and save before he goes and get some cash jobs when he gets there. I don't think he's going to be able to get working papers that say he can go work anywhere. He will also have a language barrier for working.

I really don't think you can get a work permit there without first being officially hired by a business/organization. We did a lot of research into this before our son went over there. A volunteer organization would probably be willing to do this from a distance, without actually meeting your son. But, it sounds like this isn't what your son is looking for. I don't think he could get a paid job without meeting them in person first, and until he is hired, he can't get a visa.

His best bet would probably just be to wait until he is over there, and hope that someone will hire him to do some odd jobs for cash, or maybe in exchange for room and board. Sometimes youth hostels will take young people in to work in exchange for room and board.

Without a visa, your son is able to stay in Germany for 90 days and no more.

Guest submarines

I don't know anything about visas, but I wanted to suggest a neat supplement to learning German--bookbox.com. (See which stories are available for free, and search for them on youtube. We've listened to The First Well and Whisperring Palms.)It is geared towards children, but the stories are lovely and very well done.

I've been enjoying them with my DD, and I'm astounded how much of German has cemented into my brain just from listenning to the same story every day for a week, and it was so relaxing and enjoyable. We started with listening to both English and German versions together, which takes only 12 minutes. In the last couple of days we listened to only the German version.

From personal experience, it is very difficult to get a work permit in Germany even with a good grasp of the language and connections. Lots and lots of hoops to jump through and very time consuming. In most instances Germans or citizens of other EU countries would have priority over non EU citizens.

From personal experience, it is very difficult to get a work permit in Germany even with a good grasp of the language and connections. Lots and lots of hoops to jump through and very time consuming. In most instances Germans or citizens of other EU countries would have priority over non EU citizens.

:iagree: very difficult.

Thanks, everyone. It's helpful to know that the order of the process is 1) get a job and 2) get a visa. It's also helpful to know that 1) get a job is difficult. He's only planning to be there through the summer, so he will be under the 90 days that requires a visa. He just will need to earn money if at all possible.

When people say "work for cash" is that implying under the table? Or is it okay/legal to hire people for odd jobs who don't have permits, etc.