Menu

Memoria Press vs. Veritas Press

4littleones

Are you looking for company overview or specific subjects? We love Mp's grade level packs. VP gives me a headache to even look at their cataloge. It so over full. But that is me. i need simple.

MP is much more simplified. Veritas has too much to choose from. I do however love the Self-paced History by Veritas, it is very entertaining. I like MP schedule a whole lot. I implement it here. My youngest is doing MP K this year and I like how it is scheduled. I am switching my older boys next year to MP as well. I like the focus on the Core- Math, Latin and Composition.

I think the idea behind all of the different book in the VP catalog is to make allowances for different reading levels and interest levels. I did find it helpful when I might have one book in the local library, but not another.

When you look at the VP catalog, you will see titles in different colors and font sizes. That is supposed to cue you in that the larger font items are what they consider higher priority resources, then to the next tier with the next size down and so on. The catalog used to explain this explicitly, but didn't the last time I looked. I don't think that this is very evident online at all (actually, I've given up on the online catalog because it's too hard to browse).

When we were using a lot of VP, I didn't find that the study guides were very helpful, except for the one on Fairy Tales. But then, I'm not one to use teacher notes in any curriculum we use.

Well this is just my personal opinion, but, having used quite a bit of VP's stuff and a dab of MP's, I think the key is to make sure you're only solving you're PROBLEMS. Don't fix what is already working. Like when I look at your mix for your 9 yo, I see good science, good writing, good grammar. As long as those are working, it would be a MISTAKE to change them. You DON'T want to go to school in a box from VP if what you're already doing is WORKING.

I love Shurley grammar btw, used it all the way with my dd. I'm just saying don't change if your current stuff is working. It sounds like what you're wanting to replace is HOD. Well that is easy to replace with VP, because you just go to the online, self-paced history, which we also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE in this house.

For the age of your dd, the MP edition of Guerber (american history) would be good. I like the way they redacted it and plan to update to it myself at some point. However, honestly, at age 10, I like the VP self-paced history a bit more. A 10 yo is ready for *more* than just the first half of american history, and the VP self-paced history has a lot of meat, makes a lot of connections, includes mapping, etc. etc. Oh, I'm suggesting you jump in with MARR (their middle ages course). Have you already done ancients? MARR was AWESOME and dd loved, loved, loved it. She did NTGR in their one month free trial they did at the end of the summer, and now she's plowing through the two american history courses this year. So there are lots of ways to make it work for you.

Ok, you wanted a few blanket comparisons. MP is a mix of lutheran, and this and that evangelical plus some catholics, all getting along and deciding not to talk about things they disagree about. It has the flavor that you'd expect with that, almost a secular flavor, if that makes sense. They integrate the FM books into their latin, or you can read them on your own. Dd is a history buff, which I guess you could gather, so that would never have been enough by itself. I would read Guerber (the MP redacted version) to 1st-3rd graders, no problem. But that's just our house. Look at the samples and decide for yourself.

VP, by total contrast, is REFORMED, covenantal, and opinionated. At the elementary level they shy away from the opinion side almost entirely, so that we've found on the yahoo group (which you should join! VP_Elementary yahoo group) that a broad variety of people are comfortable using the elementary materials, don't have to be reformed (I'm certainly not). It's more in Omnibus that the spin and viewpoint comes out. But the elementary online classes are SO well done and stand on their own. As long as you want an integration of christian history (not secular) and are not catholic, I think you'll be fine. I can't speak for catholics. Where I have some tiffs with Omnibus, I only have occasional (and I do mean occasional, like once or twice the whole year) quirks with the elementary self-paced lessons, which to me is no biggee. It's things like I would have explained the conversion of St. Augustine differently. That's not something you quibble over or leave it over when the entirety of the rest of the program is SO amazing.

They have run a free trial now at the end of the summer two years in a row. It's a whole month, so it gives you a real chance to see how it works and how your child responds.

My youngest is doing MP K this year and I like how it is scheduled. I am switching my older boys next year to MP as well. I like the focus on the Core- Math, Latin and Composition.

We are schooling year round and we will finish our current curriculum by the end of January. I have already purchased curriculum, but I am sooooo drawn to the MP's complete bundles!! I have a third grader and an fourth grader. I would probably continue doing Singapore. We already use R&S Grammar and Spelling. Ah! My heart aches!

Totally enamored!

I dare not mention my fantasy of switching curriculum to my husband! He has already spent a good amount of money and I cannot sell what I have as we live abroad... Sniff, sniff...

Well this is just my personal opinion, but, having used quite a bit of VP's stuff and a dab of MP's, I think the key is to make sure you're only solving you're PROBLEMS. Don't fix what is already working. Like when I look at your mix for your 9 yo, I see good science, good writing, good grammar. As long as those are working, it would be a MISTAKE to change them. You DON'T want to go to school in a box from VP if what you're already doing is WORKING.

Thank you for knocking some sense into me, my dear! Yes, what I have works, and what I bought already will work also. Any changes will have to wait until next year or until something does work for us.

Sigh! It is nice to shop around though!

Thank you for knocking some sense into me, my dear! Yes, what I have works...

Any time. :lol:

I like shopping and looking at new things too. That's cool and fine, just as long as you make sure you're solving problems, not introducing new ones. Sometimes you don't even realize how much ONE thing in your schedule is bugging you till you fix it. I like to sit down with my dd periodically and go through everything eliciting feedback on what is working, what isn't, what we need to change. This is a good time of year to do that.