Menu

Do you homeschool in PA?

How difficult do you find it to keep up with the HS regulations?

It's a bit of routine paperwork for a few days in the spring (evaluation, prepping the port & next year's affidavit), and I really don't think about it the rest of the year.

--I've got standard files I tweak each year for the affidavit, objectives, etc. so I'm not starting from scratch.

--I don't stress over counting "school days" (I just do an attendance chart, after-the-fact), and for the log of reading materials I use mostly stuff we "studied" rather than every book we touched (and while this is supposed to be kept contemporaneously with the instruction, in reality over the years I've gotten much more casual about the "contemporaneously" part). (For younger kids, I tend to list more books as there is less formal work.)

--My portfolio is about 1/4" thick, and it's mostly copies of written work that was done on the computer. I just print various essays, science reports, etc. and then fill in any major holes as needed (math worksheets).

--I use a simple summary (much like the objectives, but after-the-fact) to cover things like phys ed and geography rather than including a sample of every subject, because for me it's easier. (A summary isn't required, but some folks find it a useful way to show instruction in the required subjects.)

Once you've found the routine that is a good fit for your family, it's just paperwork, IMHO. Check out my web site (link below) to see the "portfolio summaries" section to get a sense of how others comply. I also have handy-dandy forms that may be helpful.

I'm in my last year of homeschooling since my youngest is back at the public school now (I wish he were homeschooling).

It hasn't been a problem at all for us - AND - many of the colleges middle son considered told us we had less hoops to jump through as homeschoolers since we came from a regulated state, so there are benefits.

One note with that... one school he was considering - the University of Pittsburgh - sent us a letter saying we needed our transcript from a third party. That was "new" to us and I have a whole thread (maybe two) about the issue on either the high school or college board. Since they also gave him less merit aid than others schools he's considering, we're just dropping them from our list. Had we opted to keep them, I'm not sure what it would have entailed to pass through their hoops. He's more than happy with his other choices though (both state and private schools). It's still a "plus" to be from PA, because our conclusion (to some extent) is that students from non-regulated states would find it impossible to go to Pitt with their current "needs." We, at least, could argue the oversight part since we have an evaluator.

I don't find it difficult at all. We have an evaluator who is a friend; she knows our family and understands our educational philosophy. An hour chatting with her about what we'd done last year was no big deal. Standardized testing was annoying in that I even had to get it done, but it was pretty painless. Sending in the required forms and portfolio is a bit of work in the spring, but that's it. My SD is pretty homeschool-friendly, though; not all of them are. Not having to worry about sending paperwork for my first grader, since compulsory age is 8 here, is a pleasant bonus; I lean heavily toward the relaxed side for young children. It really could be a lot worse.

We have only had to submit our affidavit and portfolio for two years because ds is in 5th this year. Our philosophy is less is better so I just use the generic goals sheet as such: http://www.phea.net/PHEA%20docs/objective%20samples/Elementary%20Objectives.pdf

I also send a very tidy little portfolio with two pages from a couple subjects: one page from early in the year and one from May to show progress. I also send a list of books read and read alouds, along with extra-curricular activities and field trips. No problems. Our evaluator shares our "less is better" philosophy.

Are you asking for a particular reason or just curious?