Menu

If your kid's have DSI or 3DS...

Yes, mine love theirs! I would suggest a used one from Game Stop so they are cheaper. Mine don't sit around playing a ton (which we wouldn't allow anyway), but when I go to the doctor or dentist or we need to ride for over an hour in the car, they're invaluable to my sanity! They'll use them 1-2 times a week.

They are reputed to have trouble with the l and r buttons on the exterior of the case, and sure enough, one year later, his don't work.

He just bought a used regular old ds, and he is loving it, because it plays game boy advance games (super cheap used, $3 avg.) as well as ds games. He is considering turning in his Dsi to gamestop, because the other features just aren't that important to him.

He does love the machines. He is 12.

My children had Gameboys. Then my youngest dd got a DSi. And then I got my own DSi XL (larger screen). They got a lot of use in the first couple of years. My youngest dd just stopped playing last year, but she stopped playing all video games because she feels she is too old. She's VERY 13 and feels she is too old for many things. :tongue_smilie:

For kids who use them, yes I think it's worth it. There are some really good games. I don't know if things changed, but I ended up with Nintendo because I felt they had more kid-friendly games at one time. Of course, I've owned every Nintendo system ever made, dating back to 1986. I think I've owned my XL for a couple of years now. My favorite game is Scribblenauts. Very cool game for all ages. I also love the Professor Layton game series. But I'm very into puzzle games, not fighting stuff. Well, except for Zelda games.

We've dropped ours a couple of times with no ill effects, but I can't guarantee rough handling or dropping a great deal of time.

Do you think a "Santa" family gift of one would be sufficient? My kids didn't mind sharing, but I didn't set it up that way. Or do you have a game store, like Game Stop, nearby that sells used systems? They guarantee them and are a very reputable store, IMHO.

My kids each received a DSi last Christmas. They LOVE them and play with them quite a bit. The novelty still hasn't worn off for my kids. We bought them the nerf covers, too. They've dropped the nintendos a couple of times, but the nerf covers protect them very well. Gamestop sells the covers and I've seen them in Walmart and Target, too. Just make sure you are getting the cover that fits the specific machine, since there are different sizes.

They have been worthwhile for my kids. Mine have DSes; the youngest has a DSi. My dd doesn't use hers much anymore, but the boys have continued to play with theirs just about daily.

My eldest received the dsi XL for Christmas last year, and he loves it. He's gracious enough to let his younger brother play it too! They both enjoy it, but we do limit play. As another poster mentioned, having it for long car rides, doctor visits, etc. has been a life-saver. As one plays, the other watches, so both are kept entertained. We'll probably get the youngest one his own (used) next year when he's a little bit older.

My kids bought their own 3DSs with their own $$ plus selling their old DSis.

They get very regular play around here.

The only problem we have is in sharing games. Some games only allow for one save and if another kid plays the game it messes up the other kid's save to advance to the next level.

Dawn

My children had Gameboys. Then my youngest dd got a DSi. And then I got my own DSi XL (larger screen). They got a lot of use in the first couple of years. My youngest dd just stopped playing last year, but she stopped playing all video games because she feels she is too old. She's VERY 13 and feels she is too old for many things. :tongue_smilie:

For kids who use them, yes I think it's worth it. There are some really good games. I don't know if things changed, but I ended up with Nintendo because I felt they had more kid-friendly games at one time. Of course, I've owned every Nintendo system ever made, dating back to 1986. I think I've owned my XL for a couple of years now. My favorite game is Scribblenauts. Very cool game for all ages. I also love the Professor Layton game series. But I'm very into puzzle games, not fighting stuff. Well, except for Zelda games.

We've dropped ours a couple of times with no ill effects, but I can't guarantee rough handling or dropping a great deal of time.

Do you think a "Santa" family gift of one would be sufficient? My kids didn't mind sharing, but I didn't set it up that way. Or do you have a game store, like Game Stop, nearby that sells used systems? They guarantee them and are a very reputable store, IMHO.

my son LOVES scriblenauts.....he has a dsi and a dsxl-both are worth it but I like the dsxl better...they make nerf covers for them that can help if you think they will be dropped some.....