Menu

DS7's gift giving dilemma (and what is a Squinkie?)

7 year old DS is choosing gifts to give his cousins. He's done a beautiful, thoughtful job. He's making some gifts, and purchased - with help - a few that are very thoughtful and meaningful.

He wanted to give his 5 year old cousin a Rapunzel Barbie, because they watched Tangled together a few weekends ago at a sleepover. We don't do a lot of plastic, but since he put some thought into the gift idea, I thought it was sweet. I found a great deal on one, and we ordered it. DH suggested I ask SIL if the cousin has this doll already - and, unfortunately, she does. SIL then tells me that niece wants Squinkies (niece was standing there with her).

Now we are in an awkward position. Neither DS nor I know about Squinkies, and DS is less than enthused about giving one, whatever it may be. He wants to give something that he and his cousin have in common, or that shows some kind of thought about their connection as cousins.

I want to encourage him to choose a gift that he's happy with giving, not a plastic trinket that is the latest trend (I'm guessing Squinkies are a trend now?), but now niece thinks that DS is giving her Squinkies per her request. I'd hate for her to be disappointed, or for DS to be disappointed in her reaction.

What's a reasonable way to handle this? (And... What on earth is a Squinkie??)

They look like pencil toppers. My daughter has them and little accessories that come with them. I don't know why they are so popular, but they are pretty inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=squinkies&sprefix=squi

I also wondered why they are so popular, but my dd (and other relatives) love them. I have to admit they are cute. I found the stand on sale for $5 and bought it, along with some Hello Kitty Squinkies for Christmas this year. DD has one of the sets from her birthday last year. She still likes them.

Squinkies are little rubber toys, almost like adorable tiny pencil erasers. Can you tell my kids collect them? You are in luck. There is a Disney princess set of Squinkies. You can find them on the girlie doll aisle of Target. The Disney pack may have a Tangled girl.

I think you handle it by trying for that. He had a good idea. But she already has one. She is into this toy right now, and I think they have a Disney one. Lets see if they do. It would make her really happy.

And on a personal note. I love the Squinkies. They are cute and TINY. I love that they have little tiny toys they can play with and collect that fit into a pencil box. They don't overtake a room like some toys. They promote imaginative play the same as any doll or paper doll does :)

7 year old DS is choosing gifts to give his cousins. He's done a beautiful, thoughtful job. He's making some gifts, and purchased - with help - a few that are very thoughtful and meaningful.

He wanted to give his 5 year old cousin a Rapunzel Barbie, because they watched Tangled together a few weekends ago at a sleepover. We don't do a lot of plastic, but since he put some thought into the gift idea, I thought it was sweet. I found a great deal on one, and we ordered it. DH suggested I ask SIL if the cousin has this doll already - and, unfortunately, she does. SIL then tells me that niece wants Squinkies (niece was standing there with her).

Now we are in an awkward position. Neither DS nor I know about Squinkies, and DS is less than enthused about giving one, whatever it may be. He wants to give something that he and his cousin have in common, or that shows some kind of thought about their connection as cousins.

I want to encourage him to choose a gift that he's happy with giving, not a plastic trinket that is the latest trend (I'm guessing Squinkies are a trend now?), but now niece thinks that DS is giving her Squinkies per her request. I'd hate for her to be disappointed, or for DS to be disappointed in her reaction.

What's a reasonable way to handle this? (And... What on earth is a Squinkie??)

Your DS sounds very sweet and I'm sure you are very proud. However, I come at gift giving from the opposite perspective. Instead of having my kids focus on what they would like to give, I have them focus on what the recipient would most like to receive. If there is a gift that the recipient wants and the giver is happy to give, it is ideal. But I personally believe that most of us are too focused on self as it is and it does us good to try to look at things from another perspective. I would buy the Squinkies. In my mind, it's not about you thinking they are cheap plastic trinkets. It's about putting the wishes of others before your own preferences.

Whew! This is perfect. We will look for a Rapunzel Squinkie. If they don't have Rapunzels, some other character may catch his eye.

And if they are tiny, and not too expensive, then he can also make a gift for her, if he still feels that he'd like to do that.

Thanks!

Your DS sounds very sweet and I'm sure you are very proud. However, I come at gift giving from the opposite perspective. Instead of having my kids focus on what they would like to give, I have them focus on what the recipient would most like to receive. If there is a gift that the recipient wants and the giver is happy to give, it is ideal. But I personally believe that most of us are too focused on self as it is and it does us good to try to look at things from another perspective. I would buy the Squinkies. In my mind, it's not about you thinking they are cheap plastic trinkets. It's about putting the wishes of others before yourself.

I like this perspective. Thanks. I will pass some of these thoughts along to DS, and I think it will spark some more good discussions and some good ideas.

I like this perspective. Thanks. I will pass some of these thoughts along to DS, and I think it will spark some more good discussions and some good ideas.

Oh, I'm glad you weren't offended. I just went back and edited "before yourself" to "before your own preferences." I didn't mean it to sound harsh at all and truly, your DS sounds very thoughtful. I would be proud of all the effort he's gone to picking gifts. :)

Whew! This is perfect. We will look for a Rapunzel Squinkie. If they don't have Rapunzels, some other character may catch his eye.

And if they are tiny, and not too expensive, then he can also make a gift for her, if he still feels that he'd like to do that.

Thanks!

I haven't seen Rapunzel Squinkie's (and I was just looking at their website, although I could have missed it). There are several Disney sets, though, and I bet he will be happy about them once he sees them. You can get the smallest sets around $5, medium sets are about $8, larger sets I want to say $15-20. I, personally, think it's a really cute gift.

Just checked their website, and there are plenty of goodies he would be happy to give. (And I like the price!)

Alte Veste, nope - not offended! Didn't even occur to me to be. :) I'm easy that way. And was hoping for some thoughts to pass along to DS to make his disappointment (about the first gift idea) easier. Thanks!