Menu

Nourishing Traditions

Can we start a Nourishing Traditions thread (or can someone link one they know of if this is a repeat)?

I have raw milk, raw buttermilk and raw cream. I had to drive two hours to get them, so I won't have a regular supply. I am on a learning curve and trying to figure out how to keep cultures going from them, how to turn the cream into butter, and how to get a good supply of whey from them. And possibly how to use cultures from these for organic store bought milk as a hold over when I can't drive to get the raw milk. I don't want to sink a huge amount of money into doing this, so economical ways are very welcome. (Convenience comes into play a bit too, so I might spring for something that makes my life easier).

The only food processor I have is an over 20 yr. old Oscar, small, and was a bust in trying to make a small batch of butter. (It all splashed to the side and ended up like lumpy whipped cream). I have a blender and hand mixer as well. I am thinking about getting the $40 range Hamilton Beach food processor, I have heard good and bad about the Cuisinart's so I am scared of getting one and they are double the price. I also don't have a stand mixer, and it seems that Kitchen Aids are not what they used to be. I researched, and it looks like the 12 speed HB looks like a good option. If I were to make bread, I wouldn't do more than a few loaves at a time. (If I made a lot of bread, that Bosch Universal Plus ($$$) looks great). I am trying to figure out how to soak the grains, also, figure out if you need to soak sprouted grains. I feel like the clock is ticking with the real deal sitting in the frig with expiration dates!

It also looks like I need tea cloths and/or cheesecloth. I have a metal strainer.

I also need reassurance about leaving milk out of the refrigerator when culturing or soaking grains..... that scares me.

I also don't have a second refrigerator, so whatever I do has to fit along side our regular food.

That's all I can think of (so far...). Thanks!

The farm where I get my milk makes butter like this: pour off the cream into a large jar. Let it come up to room temp. Shake it til it's butter. Then you rinse it in cold water, and add salt if you want it. I thought Miriam had a special press or something, to make the pretty scallop on top of the container. It's just spoon marks, though. :-)

I don't know beans about anything else that you asked, but I made butter from raw milk recently using a hand mixer, and not a particularly good one at that. It took 5 or 6 minutes, not nearly as long as I expected. Mine needed a touch more salt but was otherwise very good.

Terri

The easiest way to SPROUT grains is just a big mason jar and a mesh lid. Soak, then drain and leave tipped so the water drains out.

I make sourdough from a purchased culture and I have had it for years. I get mine from here. I use a longer rise and consider that "soaked."

To get whey you just save the clear liquid drained from the buttermilk/yogurt you make. I do not make raw milk yogurt because it has just been unreliable.

The easiest way to SPROUT grains is just a big mason jar and a mesh lid. Soak, then drain and leave tipped so the water drains out.

I make sourdough from a purchased culture and I have had it for years. I get mine from culturesforhealth.com I use a longer rise and consider that "soaked."

To get whey you just save the clear liquid drained from the buttermilk/yogurt you make. I do not make raw milk yogurt because it has just been unreliable.

Are all starters created equal? I have memories of sour dough bread giving tummy rumbles.

The flour I found is freshly ground flour from sprouted grains, that is why I am wondering if it needs to be soaked.

I've nosed around the web, the list is growing. I need "cal" or pickling lime to soak corn flour in, flour sack towels for straining. Looks like I can shake the butter, well, not really. It would kill my arms to shake something that long, so what is best: blender, stand mixer, or food processor?

And what is the best way to get a good supply of whey? A lot of recipes call for it, I don't think I will get enough from the supply of milk/cream I have.

I am also trying to figure the progression of the milk and cream as they age. Is it milk, sour/cultured milk, ?? for the raw milk, and cream, sour cream for the cream? Anything I missed?

It is really pretty easy to get butter with just a hand mixer - so much so that if your mind tends to wander when you whip cream you may find that you make it accidentally.

You could always just catch some wild yeast for sourdough - that's the whole reason to make it that way in the first place, really. Just make up a sponge and leave it out for 24 hours or so, uncovered. If you want to tip the scales in your favour, get some green grapes and crush them up and add them to the starter, then strain them out after the 24 hours.

Then let it sit, covered, in a warm place, and feed it some every day with a bit of flour. Watch for bubbles which mean it is working. Once it grows strong enough, after about four days in a warm spot, you can use it. If it isn't bubbling well you can wait longer or try and get a better strain of yeast.