Menu

I think I have a pyro on my hands...

My ds9 does experiments CONSTANTLY and one of his favorites is to figure out what things burn, how fast, etc.. (salt, boullion cubes, rosemary...which I discovered, smells like marijuana when burned so I have my prepared a statement for the police, should they arrive).

Anyhow, these have been very controlled (by me) and I was watching him today and realized I probably need to get him one of those chemistry sets where he can actually do these things with purpose.

Do you have any favorites? Ones that DON'T work? Thanks for any help..

My son likes to play with a candle and mix the wax up with a paperclip. This is all done under my eagle eye. He cheered when I told him we were doing chemistry this fall.

Mine likes to mix funky things in the kitchen as well. Probably too much Alton Brown, if there such a thing as too much.

:cheers2: Here's to the future scientists of the world.

:cheers2: Here's to the future scientists of the world.

Yes! See, I don't want to squash that but I want to have it have a purpose...or maybe just more structure. We can only find so much to do with an aluminum pie pan, salt and our bbq lighter. Any suggestions for chemistry labs?

but now he is 17. Fortunately no permanent damage has been done.

The Thames and Kosmos kits are pretty good. Skip the C500, it's too simple.

I prefer Janice Van Cleave or Vicki Cobb books myself. I just ordered Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments and We Dare you from Amazon. The Guide may be too advanced for your guy - I don't know because I haven't actually seen it.

Good luck.

Ruth in NC

As far as helping to contain that boy fascination with fire, we worked on it from these angles:

1. supervised use of fire (get it out of their system -- burn something while under parent guidance)

2. always making sure there was a purpose to the fire -- i.e., lighting candles for dinner, a campfire, etc. -- to limit the idea of random playing with fire

3. prevention of accidents (hide the matches)

4. information/putting them in charge

We've done similar things as the other ladies mentioned -- whenever there was any reason for matches and/or flame, we called the boys in to do it (under supervision). It was key to me to put them in charge of the fire whenever possible AND to always make sure they saw there was a PURPOSE for the fire -- that it was not something to just randomly play with.

Supervised use of fire at home:

- light candles for the dinner table

- set up/light the charcoal (or gas) BBQ grill

- light the gas fireplace

- homeschool science experiments

- celebrate holidays with colored smoke bomb display which they set up and then light for the family's entertainment

Supervised use of fire when camping:

- light camping gas stove

- set up / light / tend the camping fire in the firepit

I HID all matches, lighters, etc. in a high, not easily accessible location, to help prevent solo experimenting with fire of any kind. I would get them out of hiding when no one was looking and have it ready in advance of asking anyone to light candles, etc., for me.

DH is a firefighter, so he regularly discussed fire safety -- and the horrible consequences he saw -- of not being safe with fire. Check out your local fire department -- at least get a tour of a fire station, and mention in advance that you have boys really fascinated with fire and could they address that in the tour.

Also, check with your local fire department's public education/school contact department and see what additional tours/activities/educational materials they make available to school kids. Our local fire department has a special "smoke trailer" -- a semi truck with the trailer end designed to look like a reproduction of a house; the kids are taken on a tour and in each room are asked to look for the potential fire hazards (toaster plugged in and a dish towel laid across it; frayed electrical cords; etc.) After such a tour -- or even set up one in your home!! -- make your child the "Safety Officer"; put the child in charge of looking for safety/fire hazards around your own home; have the child help plan out and prepare for your own family's safety escape route and family meeting place; etc. Getting the child involved/in charge helps channel that fire fascination in a positive way.

And as far as fire and chemistry kits, we really liked the Wild Goose big kits, like Crash and Burn Chemistry, though I don't know if that's still available. Below are some links to other ideas. Hope that helps! And remember to stay vigilant with those "firebug boys" -- even with all that my boys STILL one time secretly built a brick firepit and lit a little fire in it with the neighbor boy! ! ! There is just something very alluring about fire at a certain age in a boy's life... Warmest wishes for SAFE fire experiences for you all! Lori D.

Fire Safety with Children (FEMA, US Fire Administration)

https://www.usfa.dhs.gov/kids/flash.shtm

https://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/parents/curious.shtm

Website listings on a wide variety of child fire safety topics, many with activities:

http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/jcheek3/firesafety.htm

TOPS #15 - Heat

20 activities. This is for grades 8-12, but I think at least 10-12 of the 20 experiments could be done together (parent and child), with the parent explaining/guiding. Why I suggest this one is that it's all about heat, which usually involves lighting a candle.

See it at: http://www.topscience.org/Book_samples/heat.html

(also available at Rainbow Resource Catalog)

Here's a webpage offering a number of chemistry kits:

http://www.discoverthis.com/chemistry.html

And here's the Rainbow Resource Catalog page of chemistry kits:

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1212762754-1027289&subject=11&category=3353

but now he is 17. Fortunately no permanent damage has been done. The Thames and Kosmos kits are pretty good. I just ordered Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments and We Dare you from Amazon. The Guide may be too advanced for your guy - I don't know because I haven't actually seen it.

That's funny! What is it about boys and fire!

Thanks for the suggestions...definitely going to check those out!

As far as helping to contain that boy fascination with fire, we worked on it from these angles:

OK, I was going to quote several things you wrote but there is so much good stuff in there, I just decided to say thank you! That is great framework.

We are big campers and live in the High Desert so fire danger is a BIG deal around here and we have had numerous discussions on fire dangers and safety. Thankfully, ds is a RULE KEEPER so he is great about always asking and waiting for me to supervise. Or waiting for dh to get home.

We have taken a tour of our fire station (as a matter of fact, for his 6th bday, we asked the Fire Station to come to our house and give all the kids a ride in the truck...it was a total hit!) but I think we may need to do that again. I really like the emphasis you put on making sure none of it is random...all the more reason to get some structure to this.

Thanks again!

Under no circumstances, in a wave of nostalgia, buy your little pyro the first season of Macgyver!!!!

I do NOT believe the things coming out of my mouth recently, like, "No sweetie, you may not have nitroglycerin for Christmas".

And, "No sweetie, we do not have an old magnesium frame racing bike kicking around and NO you may not scrap the rust into that flare!"

Not my best idea ever but BOY does it hold their avid interest!

Under no circumstances, in a wave of nostalgia, buy your little pyro the first season of Macgyver!!!!

I do NOT believe the things coming out of my mouth recently, like, "No sweetie, you may not have nitroglycerin for Christmas".

And, "No sweetie, we do not have an old magnesium frame racing bike kicking around and NO you may not scrap the rust into that flare!"

Not my best idea ever but BOY does it hold their avid interest!

OK, THAT is HILARIOUS!!!:smilielol5:

All I can say is "Hide the magnifying glasses!" And we are the proud owners of the complete MacGyver series, 7 years

Totally get that "magnifying glasses" thing...who knew!? OK, I can see I may have to re-think the MacGyver issue since your kids are apparently still alive! Hmmm...

I was just thinking the other day that I would NEVER tell my kids about one of the things my best friend and I got up to in 6th/7th grade.

You see, we had this old-fashioned (well, probably new at the time) hard side suitcase, and we caved one side in so that it was concave. Then we would pour small amounts of various fluids in it and light them on fire. Perfume mostly. Other toiletries. Cleaning products. Yes, quite the dangerous chemical exposure.

Oh yes, we did all this in her bedroom.

Finally, over the course of the year the hard plastic of the suitcase got all bubbly and warped from so many uses as a pyrotechnic lab, and eventually caught on fire itself for real... we managed to put it out, open the windows, and were never "caught". My best friend was completely unsupervised at her house, for the most part, and it was a huge house.

These are some of the reasons I like being with my kids. I know what I got up to... scary stuff.

I was just thinking the other day that I would NEVER tell my kids about one of the things my best friend and I got up to in 6th/7th grade. These are some of the reasons I like being with my kids. I know what I got up to... scary stuff.

Holy smokes! See, this is exactly why I feel the need to get more purposeful with this. Ds is a total pleaser and rule-keeper so I have some flexibility with this but he's also a 9 yo boy who has a very creative, imaginative streak. Yikes. Thanks for the confirmation! :001_huh: