Menu

Deer tenderloin for supper!

Hubby just called. Youngest got a deer this morning, so our traditional "first day of hunting season" supper of deer loin and french fries (homemade) is on! I'm salivating already.

For those of you who don't live in PA, you might have missed the "holiday" today. ;)

(PA gun season for deer always starts on the first Monday after Thanksgiving and only lasts for 2 weeks. In many rural areas (like ours) school is off for this holiday.)

For those who might wonder about salivating over deer... my guys go for does, not bucks, so the deer tends to be nice and tasty rather than the gamey taste of the hormonal bucks. We prefer the meat to the wall hangings. It also helps that we're on farmland and not in the woods. I'm told our soybean and corn fed/thieving deer taste better than their acorn eating cousins. Whatever the reason, some dishes I've taken to church potlucks have garnered the comments of "wow, this is the best beef I've ever tasted." ;)

Hubby just called. Youngest got a deer this morning, so our traditional "first day of hunting season" supper of deer loin and french fries (homemade) is on! I'm salivating already.

For those of you who don't live in PA, you might have missed the "holiday" today. ;)

(PA gun season for deer always starts on the first Monday after Thanksgiving and only lasts for 2 weeks. In many rural areas (like ours) school is off for this holiday.)

For those who might wonder about salivating over deer... my guys go for does, not bucks, so the deer tends to be nice and tasty rather than the gamey taste of the hormonal bucks. We prefer the meat to the wall hangings. It also helps that we're on farmland and not in the woods. I'm told our soybean and corn fed/thieving deer taste better than their acorn eating cousins. Whatever the reason, some dishes I've taken to church potlucks have garnered the comments of "wow, this is the best beef I've ever tasted." ;)

I may be confused but are you saying you allow one to eat something thinking that it is something else? You don't tell people they are eating deer? When I say tell them I mean before they consume it giving an individual the respect they deserve in choosing what they put in their body?

I may be confused but are you saying you allow one to eat something thinking that it is something else? You don't tell people they are eating deer? When I say tell them I mean before they consume it giving an individual the respect they deserve in choosing what they put in their body?

If anyone asks, I tell them. Most don't ask.

we just had a huge bible study, I made chili with elk burger. It was so yummy, everyone raved about it...I then told them it was elk! The folks were so amazed, some (game lovers) were mad at themselves for not realizing it, and the ones that hadn't had it were more amazed! One girl, said, whoa...I would never have eaten it had I knew and I would have missed out on delicious! :lol:

Enjoy your yummies this evening!! sounds fantastic!!

We prefer the meat to the wall hangings. ;)

I love this! I wish you would come educate my crew. I hate decorating with dead animals. :glare:

We also are having tenderloin for dinner. DS shot one from our roof on Saturday. I didn't know he was up there, and the shot scared me out of my wits because I didn't know where it had come from. He said it was the ideal hunting spot because it was warm by the chimney and he could hear Christmas music coming through the roof. :tongue_smilie:

How do you prepare your tenderloin? Anything special?

Around here game is such a common dish on the potluck tables that everyone just expects it. Even when I do take beef, people assume it's venison or elk. I think it's a regional, or maybe a rural, thing.

I eat venison. I actually eat just about anything. But I can honestly say that had I been told what was in half of what I eat, I wouldn't have touched it. If I have a concern, or if there was something that I just would not eat, then I ask first. Unfortunately for my waistline, if it looks yummy, I will at least try it. I do not think it is disrespectful to provide food for people and not announce every ingredient that is in it. I think it is your own responsibility to ask if you have specific feelings towards any particular food.

My ds shot a doe on Wednesday and we had the loins on Saturday night. We marinate the slices in Texas Pete honey mustard sauce(with one egg) then bread it with seasoned flour and fry it. When I make tenderloins, I wrap them in bacon and grill them.

I have an aversion to veal. Don't like the idea of it and haven't since I was in high school FFA. Not that many people I know cook with it, but I have an Italian friend that always puts it in her meatballs. So, I don't eat them. But, she is a friend and knows this, so she told me beforehand.

I'm jealous! It was dh's first season here and he didn't get anything. The season is over here.

I'm sorry to hear that... We haven't had a year without anything. There are way too many deer around here (another reason to go for the does).

I haven't heard a single shot from the game lands yet this morning. It's kind of eerie!

There've been a lot of shots around here starting within 10 minutes of the first light. We're on private property though, so I think the deer aren't as ready for the season - plus they're plentiful.

we just had a huge bible study, I made chili with elk burger. It was so yummy, everyone raved about it...I then told them it was elk! The folks were so amazed, some (game lovers) were mad at themselves for not realizing it, and the ones that hadn't had it were more amazed! One girl, said, whoa...I would never have eaten it had I knew and I would have missed out on delicious! :lol:

Enjoy your yummies this evening!! sounds fantastic!!

I LOVE elk chili! We had it a couple of times on our western trips.

I love this! I wish you would come educate my crew. I hate decorating with dead animals. :glare:

We also are having tenderloin for dinner. DS shot one from our roof on Saturday. I didn't know he was up there, and the shot scared me out of my wits because I didn't know where it had come from. He said it was the ideal hunting spot because it was warm by the chimney and he could hear Christmas music coming through the roof. :tongue_smilie:

How do you prepare your tenderloin? Anything special?

Hubby fries the tenderloin in just flour and a few other "secret" ingredients that have been passed down in his family. Honestly, I don't think any of them are fancy or exotic. Nonetheless, it melts in our mouths and is delicious.

Around here game is such a common dish on the potluck tables that everyone just expects it. Even when I do take beef, people assume it's venison or elk. I think it's a regional, or maybe a rural, thing.

I think it's a rural thing. The only people I know who don't eat deer are vegetarian. The people who tend to ask are wondering about recipes - not if they should eat it or not. There's a reason school is out on the first day. ;)