Menu

Do you wash your turnkey before cooking? What about a turkey breast?

I rinse it, inside and out, with cold water.

After the bird is in the oven, I disinfect my counters and sink with a 10% bleach solution. I make it when I use it, and leave it on for 10 minutes before using paper towels to dry off the counters. Of course, they are clean to the naked eye before I spray on the bleach solution.

I fill the sink with hot water and add bleach, and let it sit for 10 minutes or more.

I rinsed the inside and patted it with paper towels. Then I bleached the sink. ;)

I find it easier to open it up in the sink rather than the counter.

I did this, too. Just dropped the whole bag it came in (from the butcher, not shrinkwrap) into the sink, rinsed the cavity, plopped it into the roasting pan and dried it with towels before buttering it all over.

My sink will get cleaned by the end of the day. I don't worry too much about it. I guess because you can see the big herd of turkeys running around next door to the butcher? I also don't get too worked up about the whole chickens I buy from my Amish dairy farmer's nephew, other than trying to time it so I'm not there when they're offing the birds. (No, we have never had a food-borne illness from our kitchen. Yes, I understand that the birds were offed, I just can't eat something I've had direct impact on killing. Yes, I realize it's absurd.)

For the best, most effective, and totally safe disinfectant ever, have two spray bottles:

One with White Vinegar.

The other with Hydrogen Peroxide (note, this one needs to be opaque. The brown bottles they come in usually take a standard spray top.

Spray roughly equal portions of both on food prep areas. Let sit a bit.

Even works on turnkeys :tongue_smilie:

Bill

For the best, most effective, and totally safe disinfectant ever, have two spray bottles:

One with White Vinegar.

The other with Hydrogen Peroxide (note, this one needs to be opaque. The brown bottles they come in usually take a standard spray top.

Spray roughly equal portions of both on food prep areas. Let sit a bit.

Bill

Really?? Good to know! Thanks :D

Bill

As I started reading this thread I wondered if anyone would pick up on the "Turnkey" instead of "turkey" thing.

Yes I rinse out my bird or bird breast before cooking it. I also have to make sure it's dried really well because we deep fry it. Wet birds and hot oil don't mix.