Menu

WWYD?

If your child was invited to join another family to go somewhere family oriented, but there are also free drinks - beer, and the driver is known to like to drink daily, would you let them go? Would you mention ahead of time that if so and so drinks, then you want to pick your child up? Would you just set it up that you'll pick your child up afterwards? Would you just not consider it a problem?

I would set it up that I go along. Or at least picked them up. If the person gets drunk regularly then my child wouldn't go. But if it is just a matter of they like to have a couple of beers and I know and trust them, but don't want my child riding home with someone after drinking then I would go get them after.

If your child was invited to join another family to go somewhere family oriented' date=' but there are also free drinks - beer, and the driver is known to like to drink daily, would you let them go? Would you mention ahead of time that if so and so drinks, then you want to pick your child up? [b']Would you just set it up that you'll pick your child up afterwards?[/b] Would you just not consider it a problem?

I would just come up with a reason to pick up.

I'd just have a "need" to pick them up a little earlier than the family is expecting to leave. Since you don't know if the person would drive under the influence or not, I would keep it as low key as possible so as not to be offensive. But, I'd definitely pick the child up. This way, you have no regrets.

Now, this is if it is just social drinking. If there is the real possibility of heavy drinking/drunkeness, then my child would not be attending.

Faith

Absolutely plan to pick up your child, no question about it. Keep in touch with your child via cell phone as well to be sure she doesn't find herself in a situation where the other family wants to leave early and pressures her to go with them, etc.

FWIW, I wouldn't send my child with anyone if there were the remotest possibility they might drink while my child was in their care, but those are my personal convictions.

If I knew them to be the types to have a beer or two over the course of several hours? I wouldn't worry about it, but would stay close just in case my child needs to call and make an excuse for me to pick him/her up.

If I knew them to be the type to drive under the influence? I would make an excuse to drop off and pick up.

I'd just have a "need" to pick them up a little earlier than the family is expecting to leave.

. . .

Now, this is if it is just social drinking. If there is the real possibility of heavy drinking/drunkeness, then my child would not be attending.

:iagree:

I would have bigger concerns about my 15yodd in an environment where people are drinking for free IF there were many people I did not know.