Menu

SAT 2's: How many?

Hi Chris,

You know the mantra: check with the college.

Some schools ask for three of your choice. Some schools recommend that students take a foreign language exam for placement purposes. Same for math.

Some schools do not require any but use submitted Sat subject test information as part of the admissions package. (Is U-C dropping their Sat subject requirement? I may have recently read that.)

I would suggest that you look at a few colleges to get the idea.

Jane

I second Jane--check the college. It's amazing how much it varies. I'd go ahead and plan on some, if your child tests well. Take them as soon as you can after the course.

My kid doesn't test well, so we aren't looking at colleges that require them. Well, I should rephrase that to say that the colleges we are most interested in don't require them.

If your child doesn't have a clue about which college, I would suggest math as one she takes - a few of the colleges my dd looked at require math as being one of the 3. I didn't find any that wanted more than 3, so she just took 3 (and ended up at a college that didn't require any!)

Meryl

I third (or fourth or fifth or sixth) the motion to check with the college.

Many colleges don't require SAT-II's; there are a few (like William & Mary) that don't require them of "normal" applicants but really really want them from homeschoolers.

We didn't find any college that wanted more than three. Some colleges did specify that they wanted to see only one of the math SAT-II's, not both, for part of the three tests. (I'm sure if you took the other math in addition, that wouldn't be a problem!) Some did say that they wanted to see SAT-II's from different subject areas.

My kids took five each, so that the colleges would have SAT-II scores in most subject areas. My kids both did a science, a math, literature, and US history. One did Latin, and one did another science.

Yes, I do know "check with the college", but I'm not know she has no clue what she's interested in or where, so I appreciate the advice that provides a general direction to look toward.

She's only in the eighth grade in the fall, but is beginning some high school coursework (Algebra, Biology, Latin I). I don't intend at this point to graduate her early, but to provide more advanced courses for her transcript.

Thanks for all your replies. You all are SO helpful!

Maybe what we should do is have a post-SAT subject test analysis thread after Saturday's testing experience. My son is taking his first (biology) which appears to be one of the SAT subjects that is taken earliest.

Part of the problem with any of these tests seems to be that of achieving a comfort zone with the test itself. In the case of biology, students have 60 minutes to answer 80 multiple choice questions. It would seem that slower readers are at a disadvantage with this sort of test. One really has to be prepared since there is obviously not a great deal of time to reason ones way through it.

Premature to know what to think.

Jane

Be sure to buy a study guide or two. The SAT-II tests are fairly predictable, but they have two quirks --

1) The type of problem asked. My kids' favorite is on the SAT-II chemistry, which involves two statements. The student needs to decide if they are both true and then if the first causes the second. Imagine trying to figure out those directions for the first time on a test.

2) The knowledge expected. My kids both found that for the most part the tests were fairly easy, but they both said that if it weren't for the study guides they would miss more questions than they do -- the study guides really help the student focus on material that mis more likely to be on the exam.

Be sure to buy a study guide or two. The SAT-II tests are fairly predictable, but they have two quirks --

1) The type of problem asked. My kids' favorite is on the SAT-II chemistry, which involves two statements. The student needs to decide if they are both true and then if the first causes the second. Imagine trying to figure out those directions for the first time on a test.

2) The knowledge expected. My kids both found that for the most part the tests were fairly easy, but they both said that if it weren't for the study guides they would miss more questions than they do -- the study guides really help the student focus on material that mis more likely to be on the exam.

Thanks. This is immensely helpful, too!