Menu

Anyone move into WWS after WWE3? How's it going?

Halcyon

I'm on week seven of WWS with my 11yo ds. We completed all levels of WWE.

I'm really liking WWS. So far, the Topos assignments are the toughest for my son. It's hard work, but the right amount of work. All of the curriculum I've used from SWB is appropriately incremental. The work builds on itself at a steady, thorough pace.

What I find extremely helpful, are the rubrics she provides. They help keep me focused on the elements of my son's writing that are most important to address.

HTH!

I'll be watching this thread because this is my plan too. We're only 4 weeks in to wwe3 right now.

Halcyon - did you see significant improvement from the beginning of the curriculum to where you are now with your son? Did you do WWE 1 & 2? I skipped level two at dd's request because she wanted the lessons to be more independent so I'm wondering how much progression in skill you saw over the course of a year.

We're in WWE4, although we do more writing across the curriculum lately and mostly use WWE for the dictations.

I'm going to wait and see what WWS looks like when it gets here before deciding. From what I can see, I'm not concerned that it will be too difficult in the beginning. But I don't want to start too soon and then find out in a year or two that we have to take a break, because he isn't ready at that point to get everything out of the series that he could have.

Dd10 did WWE 2-3 (skipping thru, using the hardcover book) when I pulled her out of school last January. She did not do much of WWE4 - just a bit - before starting WWS in August. It's not always easy, but it's going surprisingly well. There was a tough narration here or there, particularly in the first month. We're in Week 11, and I'm happy so far. I recently bought the PDF because it prints out a smitch larger (font size) than the 20-week sample, as I figured.

I'll be watching this thread because this is my plan too. We're only 4 weeks in to wwe3 right now.

Halcyon - did you see significant improvement from the beginning of the curriculum to where you are now with your son? Did you do WWE 1 & 2? I skipped level two at dd's request because she wanted the lessons to be more independent so I'm wondering how much progression in skill you saw over the course of a year.

We did WWE1 and WWE2 and now we're almost done with WWE3. YES. I saw significant improvement...particularly with narrations, punctuation, and "getting the gist" of a passage. Over the past year, I have seen a jump in his ability in writing narrations--I decided about 2 months ago to have him try his hand at writing his own narrations, and it worked very well. He was ready.

So in short, I saw a great deal of progression. :001_smile:

My nine year old is on Week 21 of WWE3, and he does his own narrations also.

Part of me wants him to skip WWE4 to get to WWS, as it is more independent. But I think we will work through WWE4. I have seen the progression of his skills through Level 2 and 3, and I don't want to have him become too frustrated.

I think he will learn a lot from WWE4 and then will be entirely ready for WWS.