Menu

To Squawk or not to Squawk that is my question.....

Seriously...As I have posted here on the forum, we are in the process of selling our house and we are starting to get negative feedback (twice now out of 8 showings) about our neighbors. Although the feedback has not been specific it has indicated that they were not sure about the neighborhood and one stated "don't like your neighbors". It is not our neighbors that is the issue, it is their chickens......all 28 of them. I am not quite sure what to do. They have been good neighbors over the past 6 years with very little issues. In addition to that we originally said that we didn't have any problem with the chickens (that was when they 4 or 5 and no roosters). Now they are up to 28 total with 7 roosters. We have been told that they are getting rid of the roosters after the state fair this summer (I believe this is in July). Should I wait it out? Should I let her know that her chickens are causing us to lose some potential buyers? I just don't know what to do and would really appreciate any feedback.

P.S. They also have lumber in our side yard that we have asked them to remove, and it is still there! It has been there 3 years and we never minded before, but now that we are showing the house, I want it gone! :D

Coming back to add that I am SO NOT a confrontational person and DH is not here right now to talk with them .

Diane

Serve them a notice to quit for the lumber. Do not let it remain so long that they can claim the property is theirs by common law. I think this usually takes 7 years. Is it legal for them to keep farm animals in a residential neighborhood?

Wow, I didn't know this! thank you! I will let her know today. In regards to the chickens it is legal to have them as long as they don't disturb the neighbors and they report you....see my dilemma?

Diane

Well....my first thought is.....to report them...after all....you are moving, LOL! I wouldn't want to listen to roosters every morning...that is for sure. So my vote is to report them.

She's right. If the chickens are causing that much of a problem you have the right by law to report them.

If she doesn't respond, I think you can go to City Hall to begin the eviction process. Maybe someone else knows more about this?

Hopefully it will not come to this. We have had an amicable relationship, and I would hate for it to end this way.

Diane

Based on your post it sounds like you are on friendly terms. So, I'd go over there and in a pleasant way explain your situation. Blame it on the realtor:) I'd offer to help them move the lumber to their property, and ask if there is some way to limit the look of the chicken until the fair. If they aren't willing to move the lumber or do something about the chickens and roosters, I'd report it and not feel guilty.

Seriously...As I have posted here on the forum, we are in the process of selling our house and we are starting to get negative feedback (twice now out of 8 showings) about our neighbors. Although the feedback has not been specific it has indicated that they were not sure about the neighborhood and one stated "don't like your neighbors". It is not our neighbors that is the issue, it is their chickens......all 28 of them. I am not quite sure what to do. They have been good neighbors over the past 6 years with very little issues. In addition to that we originally said that we didn't have any problem with the chickens (that was when they 4 or 5 and no roosters). Now they are up to 28 total with 7 roosters. We have been told that they are getting rid of the roosters after the state fair this summer (I believe this is in July). Should I wait it out? Should I let her know that her chickens are causing us to lose some potential buyers? I just don't know what to do and would really appreciate any feedback.

P.S. They also have lumber in our side yard that we have asked them to remove, and it is still there! It has been there 3 years and we never minded before, but now that we are showing the house, I want it gone! :D

Coming back to add that I am SO NOT a confrontational person and DH is not here right now to talk with them .

Diane

There is no way the lumber stored on your property is going to cause your neighbors to own that property by adverse possession, unless Colorado has some extreme quirky laws.

I think you should check to see what the chicken-and-rooster owning laws are in your town. If your neighbors lawfully own the birds, then there is nothing you can do about it. In my town, for example, we are allowed to own up to 9 chickens and no roosters in a residential area.

They have been good neighbors over the past 6 years with very little issues. In addition to that we originally said that we didn't have any problem with the chickens (that was when they 4 or 5 and no roosters). Now they are up to 28 total with 7 roosters. We have been told that they are getting rid of the roosters after the state fair this summer (I believe this is in July).

Diane, you said that you've had an amicable relationship with your neighbors so I would suggest talking to them first. Just let them know that the chickens may be a potential buyer turnoff and ask if there is anything they can do to possibly contain them during a showing. See if they are willing to work with you on this first before taking more drastic measures. I really hope it works out well for you.

Thank you for all of the posts :001_smile: I am not confrontational, however I think I will nicely ask if we can work out an arrangement. This will serve two purposes...it will 1. give me the opportunity to do it nicely, and let her know that their are issues without going to the police, and 2. Make me feel not guilty about going to the police if she refuses ;)

I definitely try to live by the Golden Rule, and prefer to deal with people in a nice manner if at all possible.

Diane

Diane, you said that you've had an amicable relationship with your neighbors so I would suggest talking to them first. Just let them know that the chickens may be a potential buyer turnoff and ask if there is anything they can do to possibly contain them during a showing.

Do you think this is fair to the buyer? Does the need for fairness to the buyer override the need for fairness to the op or her neighbor? This is a tough situation, and I am feeling cranky today so my response may not be as gracious as it probably should be... :blushing:

There is no way the lumber stored on your property is going to cause your neighbors to own that property by adverse possession, unless Colorado has some extreme quirky laws.

Actually, Colorado does have some extremely quirky laws. There is a case recently in Boulder where someone got half an empty lot.

However, I think if you have given them notice to move the wood and you can document the notice, they cannot get the property through adverse possession.

I think talking and asking if there is somewhere they can put them during showings.

I know when we bought our house. On the disclosure, it listed they had a ton of turkeys, rats, dogs, cats,birds....the list goes on. But when my husband and I saw the house there was no sign of any animals. They kept them all somewhere else. Tricky. Mind you I had everything cleaned a milllion times.

The other people are right though, I know in Calif we have noise ordinances. Some parts have fowl ordinance. I know that I want a guinea fowl. But I am scared the neighbors are going to get mad. So I havent got any yet.

Good luck,

Jeannette

I would talk to them about both the chickens and the wood.

What to the people say about the chickens? What do they notice? The smell, the noise, etc. Brainstorm and try to figure out how you can minimize the issue to potential buyers.

Can you wait until after the fair to sell your house? Then the neighbors would not have the roosters, anyway.

Since you have a good relationship with them, just bring over a dessert and chat about what's been going on. They probably have ideas that can help also.

I would talk to them about both the chickens and the wood.

What to the people say about the chickens? What do they notice? The smell, the noise, etc. Brainstorm and try to figure out how you can minimize the issue to potential buyers.

Can you wait until after the fair to sell your house? Then the neighbors would not have the roosters, anyway.

Since you have a good relationship with them, just bring over a dessert and chat about what's been going on. They probably have ideas that can help also.

It is the noise only.....and it is really the roosters only...they all like to out cock-a-doodle-doo each other, if we weren't selling the house I would find it terribly amusing :D There is no smell (they keep them very clean, they are more pets than anything else). They do let them roam the backyard, so maybe I can ask that they be put in their pin during showings, though I don't know if this would actually do anything about the noise.

I wish we could wait to put the house on the market, but DH is leaving for NM on 8/15 to start grad school, and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to be out of this house and moving with him when that time comes.

I will see if they have any suggestions, maybe we can brainstorm together to resolve this.

Thank you!

Diane

Our neighbor had a "special" rooster. It crowed every 4 1/2 hrs AROUND THE CLOCK. It took 3 trips to animal control, 2 calls to the police department and an official report including video tape before they had to ge rid of the rooster. I have no advice about the chickens.

HOWEVER.. the wood? Simple to me. Tell your neighbor you are moving, & showing the house. The wood needs to go by next weekend so you can fix up that area of yard.

good luck.

Our neighbor had a "special" rooster. It crowed every 4 1/2 hrs AROUND THE CLOCK. It took 3 trips to animal control, 2 calls to the police department and an official report including video tape before they had to ge rid of the rooster. I have no advice about the chickens.

HOWEVER.. the wood? Simple to me. Tell your neighbor you are moving, & showing the house. The wood needs to go by next weekend so you can fix up that area of yard.

good luck.

Wow, I cannot even imagine! The nice thing about these roosters is that after 7 or 8 pm they are QUIET. I think the golden rule would have been out the window if they were waking me up at night ;)

What I know about roosters will fit on the head of a pin.

My idea is that you ask the neighbors to use a rubber band to hold their rooster's beaks closed when you are showing the house, if the birds will still be able to breathe in that condition. Kind of like a muzzle for barking dogs.

RC

It is the noise only.....and it is really the roosters only...they all like to out cock-a-doodle-doo each other....

Diane

Yeah, an easement sounds more likely than adverse possession, though:

http://www.masterslawfirm.com/Easement1.htm

Actually, Colorado does have some extremely quirky laws. There is a case recently in Boulder where someone got half an empty lot.

However, I think if you have given them notice to move the wood and you can document the notice, they cannot get the property through adverse possession.

This is a good point.

My DH would be terribly unhappy if we moved next to a bunch of roosters or farm animals without knowing about them beforehand so he had a choice to live elsewhere.

Do you think this is fair to the buyer? Does the need for fairness to the buyer override the need for fairness to the op or her neighbor? This is a tough situation, and I am feeling cranky today so my response may not be as gracious as it probably should be... :blushing: