Menu

Anyone ever...

jillian

My dd was 4yo when her brothers were doing dissection. She was involved in all of it and very into it. I purchased a bucket with a variety of animals to dissect and a kit from Edmund Scientific and also got a cow heart from the local butcher who didn't think we were strange at all for asking because they send the hearts to the local college.

I totally *would* if I planned to do dissections :) My DS would have loved it even a year or so ago. The closest we've come to anything like that is owl pellets though :) I just can't handle doing animal dissections...I had the heebie jeebies when I did it in school and have no plans to go through it again, ROFL!!! But long story short, YES, I would do them with a 4-5 year old (mine anyway since I know he could handle it) if I actually did them ;)

:D She was five here.

Fabulous! Sigh, at times like these I really wish my guy had the required finger dexterity for self-led dissections. I'm hoping we'll get to it at least before he leaves for college. :lol:

Edited by quark
Removed Home Science Tools link since it was already linked

DH thinks that the whole point of dissections is to do it yourself and learn versus watching/not doing the cutting. I disagree though and think once whatever we are dissecting is open let her do the exploring. I understand the concerns with a scalpel absolutely but I really feel dissections are worth their weight in gold kwim?

I've thought about it. I'm concerned that my 4 year old would actually be too comfortable doing it, if that makes sense. We are having a little trouble with the concepts of death and the sanctity of life. We've been seesawing from one extreme (Don't step on the grass!) to the other (Are we going to kill that?) and I think I want that to even out a bit more first.

We raise and butcher some of our own meat, so we cover quite a bit of anatomy without doing actual dissections. It's probably at least a small cause of the confusion my daughter is having. I'm trying to reinforce the idea that we only kill for food or for humane reasons right now. I'd love to be able to though!