Menu

Anna & the King (of Siam)/The King & I... which would you recommend:

1. Anna and the King of Siam - 1946 drama film with Rex Harrison & Irene Dunne
  2. The King and I - 1956 musical film with Deborah Kerr & Yul Brynner
  3. Anna and the King - 1999 biographical drama film with Jodie Foster & Chow Yun-fat

Which most closely follows the 1944 book Anna and the King of Siam by Margaret Landon? Which is the most enjoyable?

Edited by ereks mom

I haven't read the book or seen 1). But I agree with the assessment that 2) is worth seeing. I will say that Anna and the King is probably my favorite movie in terms of cinematography. It was filmed in Malaysia and the pictures are amazing. It is also a very good movie which I highly recommend. But it has some scenes which I do not allow my younger children to see, so you may wish to screen it first depending on your audience.

FWIW there seems to be some controversy about whether the book is historically accurate or not, even if parts of the story are true.

I have seen all three and the first one follows the book closely, plus Rex Harrison makes a decent King. The second is the most entertaining, being a musical with great songs and Yul Brynner!!! (My mom and I saw him in a live performance of The King and I decades ago...by which time he had grown into the character (and an encore dance with Anna was built into the performance!)

The third film has the most sex/cruelty (and tiny pre-Draco Malfoy kid actor) BUT also Cho Young Fat, who is another great king. Not that fond of Jodie Foster as Anna, though.

1. Anna and the King of Siam - 1946 drama film with Rex Harrison & Irene Dunne

2. The King and I - 1956 musical film with Deborah Kerr & Yul Brynner

3. Anna and the King - 1999 biographical drama film with Jodie Foster & Chow Yun-fat

Which most closely follows the 1944 book Anna and the King of Siam by Margaret Landon? Which is the most enjoyable?

It was awhile ago, but I read the book and watched the 1946 movie. I think the 1946 movie followed the book pretty accurately. It seems to me I have also seen the Jodie Foster version and didn't think it followed as closely, but I really can't remember now! Or maybe I read the summary of the later movie, and thought it emphasized the romance too much, whereas it was not the focus of the actual book.

I saw a stage peformance with Yul Brynner a long, long, long time ago in Los angeles and it was the most amazing show I have ever seen. Yul had mega charisma, I lost count of the standing ovations . ANyway, I have the dvd of the movie with him and Deborah Kerr and I just love it. Every time I watch it, it brings back the wonderful memories of seeing the show. It is really a great musical and the dvd is great.

I saw a stage peformance with Yul Brynner a long, long, long time ago in Los angeles and it was the most amazing show I have ever seen. Yul had mega charisma, I lost count of the standing ovations . ANyway, I have the dvd of the movie with him and Deborah Kerr and I just love it. Every time I watch it, it brings back the wonderful memories of seeing the show. It is really a great musical and the dvd is great.

The show was at the Pantages, right? That is where Mom and I saw him!!!!